Stubbs for Bruce - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Stubbs for Bruce

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stubbs for Bruce

Postby Newkie » Thu May 19, 2011 10:04 am

Hi, I am in a 10 manager 10 player H2H keeper league with normal 6x6 scoring. I was offered Bruce and a first round pick for my Stubbs and my 5th round. He initially offered me a 2nd rounder for my 7th.
Would you do this trade, or try to do the first and my 6th or even back to the very original of 2 and 7?
My team is as follows

McCann
Smoak
Uggla
Alexei Ramirez
Beltre
Choo
Ethier
Stubbs
Quinten
Francoeur
Coughlin
Cliif Lee
Liriano
Anderson
etc. etc. etc.

My 10 Keepers as of now are McCann, Uggla, Ramirez, Choo, Ethier, Stubbs, Quinten, Lee, Liriano, and Anderson. Because of age, I am not taking Beltre into next yr. By the way, I have already stock piled 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths, 3 fifths, 1 sixth, and 1 seventh, so I am trying to rebuild with the draft next yr. but want to compete at a playoffs level this yr. I understand this won't being a juggernaut, so thats why the picks for next season are so important.

Thanks
Newkie
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 34)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stubbs for Bruce

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu May 19, 2011 12:01 pm

I'd make the deal. Stubbs and Bruce are fairly close in terms of value to me, and you get the better end of the draft pick swap.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby HOOTIE » Thu May 19, 2011 12:37 pm

I prefer Bruce
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Tex » Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 pm

I prefer Stubbs because he'll steal more than enough bases to make up for the slight difference in HR/RBI totals.
Tex
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Newkie » Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Well, I ended up doing the trade. I got a first rounder, and he got my 6th round. Here's the thing, if before the season you had offered me Bruce for Stubbs, I wouldve been all over it straight up. Now that Stubbs is off to a good start compared to Bruce, I feel the draft pick is certainly gravy on top.

Thanks
Newkie
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KaPluie » Thu May 19, 2011 6:53 pm

I prefer Stubbs ... but I prefer Bruce + a 1st round pick even more. That is ridiculously in your favor.

seeking help on viewtopic.php?t=431055
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zomberg » Thu May 19, 2011 7:47 pm

Newkie wrote:Hi, I am in a 10 manager 10 player H2H keeper league with normal 6x6 scoring. I was offered Bruce and a first round pick for my Stubbs and my 5th round. He initially offered me a 2nd rounder for my 7th.
Would you do this trade, or try to do the first and my 6th or even back to the very original of 2 and 7?
My team is as follows

McCann
Smoak
Uggla
Alexei Ramirez
Beltre
Choo
Ethier
Stubbs
Quinten
Cliif Lee
Liriano
Anderson
etc. etc. etc.

My 10 Keepers as of now are McCann, Uggla, Ramirez, Choo, Ethier, Stubbs, Quinten, Lee, Liriano, and Anderson. Because of age, I am not taking Beltre into next yr. By the way, I have already stock piled 2 firsts, 2 seconds, 2 thirds, 2 fourths, 3 fifths, 1 sixth, and 1 seventh, so I am trying to rebuild with the draft next yr. but want to compete at a playoffs level this yr. I understand this won't being a juggernaut, so thats why the picks for next season are so important.

Thanks

First of all, the league sounds awesome. I'm assuming you've only added one 1st and one 2nd so far, as you get one of the rest...

At this point, you shouldn't have been making that trade. Stubbs looks like your top keeper right now - I know that isn't exciting, but things haven't turned out too well and he might go 25-50. Bruce is a fine player, too, but he's clearly a tier lower at this point. In a 6x6, this is lessened a bit (I like Bruce's OPS/OBP more).

If everyone is keeping 10 (and that might not be required, so it could be less), owning a "1st round pick" isn't as good as it sounds.
zomberg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KaPluie » Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 pm

zomberg wrote:If everyone is keeping 10 (and that might not be required, so it could be less), owning a "1st round pick" isn't as good as it sounds.

I agree with this part. I'm so used to thinking about my keep-3 league, where you give up a pick in the round you originally drafted him in, that a first round pick is very valuable. If the top-100 players are kept, a first round pick is more of a traditional 9th-11th round pick.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HOOTIE » Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 pm

KaPluie wrote:
zomberg wrote:If everyone is keeping 10 (and that might not be required, so it could be less), owning a "1st round pick" isn't as good as it sounds.

I agree with this part. I'm so used to thinking about my keep-3 league, where you give up a pick in the round you originally drafted him in, that a first round pick is very valuable. If the top-100 players are kept, a first round pick is more of a traditional 9th-11th round pick.

People always make bad cuts.
With 100 kept, there will be some very good players available.
Bruce has 35-40 hr power. And should for a better AVG then Stubbs. You did ok.
Btw, don't worry about your 10 keepers now. I bet by years end, Beltre/Smoak could make it.
Why you worried about Beltres age? Uggla is only 1 year younger, and a worse hitter at a deeper position.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Newkie » Thu May 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Some people do drop good top 100 players for younger talent. I picked up Beltre in round 1 this yr, so I know there will be other Beltres out there next yr. The big advantage with having 3 first rounders (Which I have now) is I can stock pile on good SP's like Cahill, Bucholz, Shields, and Garza types of talent, while still bringing Lee, Liriano and Anderson into the rotation as keepers.
And to finish this chapter, Yes, I Iike Stubbs better too, but not a first round snub better. What Bruce lacks in the SB department, he picks up in the other departments. Hopefully.

Thanks all

P.S. Now someone just offered me Gallardo and a 5th for Bruce and my 8th. That is this managers highest remaining pick, so maybe someone else can give me a tad better. Although Gallardo is coming around.
Newkie
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions