which 2? c.lee, e.jackson, oli.perez, j.williams? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

which 2? c.lee, e.jackson, oli.perez, j.williams?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

which 2? c.lee, e.jackson, oli.perez, j.williams?

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:50 pm

which 2 of these 4 SP's should i pick up? i just made a 4 for 3 trade (i gave sosa + m.giles + ensberg + riske = mags + a.jones + hawkins) and have an open roster spot. im also thinking about dropping rich harden. here is my pitching staff for reference...

SP J. Vázquez (NYY - SP)
SP R. Oswalt (Hou - SP)
SP T. Hudson (Oak - SP)
SP J. Santana (Min - SP,RP)
RP T. Hoffman (SD - RP)
RP R. Nen (SF - RP)
RP A. Rhodes (Oak - RP)
RP J. Nathan (Min - RP)
RP L. Hawkins (ChC - RP)
RP R. Soriano (Sea - RP)
RP J. Valverde (Ari - RP)

BN M. Morris (StL - SP)
BN R. Harden (Oak - SP)
BN T. Armas (Mon - SP)
BN J. Affeldt (KC - SP,RP)

any input would be much appreciated! :-? :-)
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

btw

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:55 pm

btw, jose reyes is still out on waivers... in terms of future trade value, should i pick him up and 1 of those 4 SP's instead of just 2 of 4 SP's?
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Katfish » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:28 pm

It looks like you have a ton of pitching (4 person league?). In these situations, I like to look at where my weaknesses and strenghts are as related to the cats, then try to figure out how to get what I need without harming what I have. Last year I was right on the cusp to move up in Ks and my ERA/WHIP were way ahead of the pack, so I had some leverage to pick up anyone putting up the Ks.

As far as the specific players go:

Jackson-I believe he's being sent to the minors (not 100%)
Perez-K machine, but also a walk machine
Lee-I have him, lots of people are high on him
Williams-I haven't heard too much about him. I think he's solid, but team is weaker this year, so less wins to go around.
"There's something kind of 'eee-yew' about a boy who doesn't like baseball." Foghorn Leghorn
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby d18Mike » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:33 pm

I was high on Lee but dumped him. Someone in my league promptly picked him up and dumped him two days later.

He has been getting lit-up like a cheap cigar this Spring. And according to reports it's more than just rust. This from Rotowire:

"Lee, making only his second start of the spring, walked five Pirates in 3 2/3 innings pitched on Sunday, the Associated Press reports. In addition to the walks, he gave up five hits and four earned runs. There have been a lot of prognosticators that are predicting Lee will be a very good starter this year, but he has yet to prove he has fully recovered from offseason hernia surgery. It may be mid-season before he shows the form we fully expect."
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Katfish » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:46 pm

Really... Well, that sucks. I didn't know about the hernia thing. Looks like I will be hunting another sleeper, too.
"There's something kind of 'eee-yew' about a boy who doesn't like baseball." Foghorn Leghorn
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:56 pm

Get Reyes before you are too late. He will be much more valuable to you than any of the SPs you mentioned.
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jsuga22 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:12 pm

Jerome Williams will have the best year of all of those guys. He has great stuff. I think hes in a completely different league than those guys.

Perez is exactly what someone else said. Lee has good stuff on a bad team though and I think he needs time. Jackson is the wild card he can be an Ace with in a year or two... he might be the most talented of the group and pitching in LA is big for him... run support will hurt.
jsuga22
College Coach
College Coach

ok

Postby Rhymes_T79 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:56 pm

ok i've picked up reyes a suggested, but should i drop or keep harden? i've heard that he may be sent back to the minors??? is this true? would you guys pick oliver perez, edwin jackson, or jerome williams over him? i've been hearing that jackson is no longer guaranteed the dodgers 5th spot because of his horrible spring. i'll stay away from lee cuz of the hernia surgery. i like oli, but his his BB scares me. plus he plays for pirates. at least he's not the ace tho i guess, his matchups will be a little more favorable.

anyways, thanks guys for the input, much appreciated :-)

btw, this is an 8 man keeper league, not 4 man hehe.
Rhymes_T79
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Katfish » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:12 pm

I would probably pick up Williams and drop Harden. Harden was hammered last season, and that seems to be carrying over to this one.

Based on this post, I just dropped Lee for J. Acevedo, although I am probably taking a big chance with a Reds pitcher.
Katfish
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jbuk » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:17 pm

Harden is being sent to the minors for the first few days, when the A's don't need a fifth pitcher due to the schedule - he'll be back and starting regularly after that.

I'd keep him and go after either Jackson or Williams personally, both play in nice parks. I probably prefer Jackson, even if he will start in the minors
jbuk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers