5/18 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, Rainy Day Women - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5/18 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, Rainy Day Women

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which struggling ace is most likely to right the ship?

Ubaldo Jiminez
84%
Fransisco Liriano
16%

Total votes : 19

5/18 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, Rainy Day Women

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:07 am

We lost four more games to rainouts yesterday, as Mother Earth continues to whine, "If I can't have football then you can't have ANY sport!"

Pianowski: Each game was the culmination of a two-game series, so Wednesday doubleheaders were not an option; new matchups are on the way. We've already seen 30 rainouts in 2011, after just 21 for all of last season.

A couple of struggling aces make their owners step back from the ledge a bit, albeit against punchless offenses.

Ubaldo: 7 IP, 7 K, 8 H, 1 BB, 3 ER, sitting in the mid-90s with his heat:
Although he's still searching for his first win since Sept. 17, Jimenez showed signs of his old self, giving up three runs and eight hits in seven innings, striking out seven and walking just one.

"It felt really good to have a game like that," Jimenez said. "The last five games that I had have been really bad and today I was able to locate the fastball."

Jimenez said the outing gave him confidence that he's getting back to being his old dominant self.

Meanwhile, in the hitter's wasteland in the Pacific Northwest:

Liriano (3-5) was nearly as stingy as his no-hitter May 3 against the White Sox. He allowed three singles, walked one and had a season-high nine strikeouts. Matt Capps got the final three outs for his sixth save in eight opportunities.

"I think it [going against Hernandez] helped me stay focused, taking it one pitch at a time, one inning at a time," Liriano said.

Ironically, this was a way better start for fantasy purposes than his no hitter. Lirano heads to Arizona next, while Ubaldo goes against Milwaukee. Do you feel lucky?

Speaking of Minnesota, the legendary Harmon Killebrew passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. As I said in his thread, I'm not the sort who says that somebody plays the game "the right way," but when you're supposedly the model for the MLB logo, you know you've done something right. A legend on the diamond, and a true class act by all accounts. Do yourself a favor and read the whole Star Tribune memorial.

When Harmon Killebrew's bulging forearms snapped his bat through the strike zone and made full contact, there was nothing else like it in baseball. His home runs were towering blasts that provided Minnesotans with their introduction to major league baseball.

The iconic Twin, known as much for his humble demeanor as his prodigious home runs, died Tuesday morning at his Scottsdale, Ariz., home at the age of 74 after a nearly five-month battle with esophageal cancer.

Killebrew was the face of the Twins for 14 seasons after the franchise moved to Minnesota from Washington, D.C., before the 1961 season. He is 11th on the all-time major league home run list with 573, of which 475 were hit wearing a Twins uniform. He has the eighth-highest single-season total in Twins history, was a 13-time All Star and the American League MVP in 1969. And he was the Twins' first Hall of Fame inductee in 1984.

"No individual has ever meant more to the Minnesota Twins organization ... than Harmon Killebrew," said Twins President Dave St. Peter, who credited the Hall of Famer with helping "lay the foundation for the long-term success of the Twins franchise."

Former Twins star Kent Hrbek, born and raised within blocks of the Twins' first home at Metropolitan Stadium, called Killebrew "Paul Bunyan with a uniform on.''

Killebrew became so popular that the street in front of Metropolitan Stadium was named after him, and today is still one of the major roads into the Mall of America. His home runs were such a draw that then-owner Calvin Griffith made the slugger the team's first $100,000 player in 1971.

It doesn't mention it in the article, but I just heard on Sportscenter that the Twins are going to wear their retro uniforms at home for the rest of the season in honor of Killebrew. That's quite the tribute.

But what else is going on? It's still pouring here in NYC. Are we going to see any baseball today? Is wrveres going to overcome the Grippe or are we stuck with poor substitutes forever?
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 5/18 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, Rainy Day Wom

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am

I had more than half of my lineup not playing due to rainouts. Addition to that, my team went for 1/20 with 1 run 1 rbi 0 sb. Thank you Brantley. :-°
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rjforlife » Wed May 18, 2011 8:13 am

I was seconds from throwing one up. Good work sin.

Rainouts with a roof? Say it ain't so!
Believe it or not, there have been a total of 6 rainouts in ballparks with retractable roofs or a dome. The Rays and Astros have both seen games postponed due to hurricanes. For the Rays, it was Sept 4-5 against the Tigers due to Hurricane Frances and Sept 26, 2004 against the Blue Jays due to Hurricane Jeanne. The other club was the Houston Astros who postponed the Sept 12-13 2008 games with the Cubs due to Hurricane Ike.

The weird one? The Montreal Expos canceled April 18, 2003 game against the Reds when the roof to Olympic Stadium was stuck open and the game had to be called due to rain.

http://bizofbaseball.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5193:who-has-had-the-most-rainouts-in-mlb-over-last-decade&catid=26:editorials&Itemid=39
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed May 18, 2011 8:15 am

Today's Games - Today's (ugh) Weather - Bullpen Report

Cain vs. Kershaw should be cool, obviously. Ageless wonder Fatolo (more weighin' for the K'in'!) vs. wunderkind Britton could be fun, if they play it down in Bodymore. What else? I'm sure somebody out there's excited about Neise vs. Gorzelanny, right??
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Wed May 18, 2011 10:54 am

Cold and thunderstorms likely for Duffy's debut.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed May 18, 2011 11:04 am

Well it's Wednesday and I've already thrown 6 of my 10 allotted starts, while sitting Liriano for the second time this season and experiencing, well, exactly what I thought would happen. :-C But today is a new day...

I'm throwing recently acquired Brandon Mccarthy vs MIN, who can't hit the broad side of a barn, so I'm sure this will end poorly. :-C
Also chucking Bronson Arroyo vs PIT, who rocked his socks last time he faced them, so this will probably end poorly. :-C

The rest of the week then becomes selecting 2 of:
Colby Lewis @ PHI
James Shields @ FLA
Mat Latos vs SEA
Ted Lilly @ CWS
Homer Bailey @ CLE
Edinson Volquez @ CLE
Francisco Liriano @ ARI
Roy Oswalt vs TEX

Really it's going to be 2 of the first 3... I'm sure I'll choose poorly. :-C
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Wed May 18, 2011 11:10 am

lol nobody believes in liriano
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 am

bigh0rt wrote:The rest of the week then becomes selecting 2 of:
Colby Lewis @ PHI

The Phils can't hit for crap. :-t
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CharlatanSin » Wed May 18, 2011 11:51 am

I've got the unstoppable Ricky Nolasco going against the Cubbies, and Gallardo @ SD. Hopefully Gallardo can continue to build some confidence and put his early season struggles behind him once and for all.
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby j24jags » Wed May 18, 2011 11:54 am

Cain, Nolasco, Jered tonight, 1 in each of my three leagues ;-D
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)