100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Adams

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mike Adams

Postby kab21 » Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 pm

j24jags wrote:
kab21 wrote:
j24jags wrote:If Bell is traded at (or before) the deadline who would step in, Adams or Gregerson?

The pecking order is clearly established. Adams has been there longer and as far as I know always pitches the 8th while Gregerson pitches the 7th. He is almost for sure the guy unless injured.

I realize that in the current pecking order, Adams has the 8th inning for now, but he is turning 33 this summer. Gregerson just turned 27. There's a chance that if they deal Bell they may want a more long-term solution and turn to Gregerson (more likely scenario if they are out of contention IMO).

Just my .02

If anything it's the opposite because of age. They want to establish Adams as a dominant closer so they can trade him the following summer and keep Gregerson's arb costs down.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RyeWhiskey » Tue May 17, 2011 6:19 pm

Mike Adams is cash-money. In a HLDs league I had him, Gregerson, Thorton, and R Soriano headed into this season, and could only keep 3. I felt Adams was the odd man out as Soriano had a prime spot in NY, Thorton was moving to the closer role, and Gregerson was much younger. Alas, Thorton and Soriano implode completely and Gregerson has yet to find his groove. :-S

As to the OP, he wouldn't be on my WW in a standard 5X5 league (H2H or roto) as I'd already have him rostered. He's like Venters so far: killer ratios, good K/9, vulture Ws and SVs. Guys like this help you out with 2-3 IP each week. Gotta love 'em.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 17, 2011 7:03 pm

I have him in my roto league, and have since the beginning of April. If roster space permits, I like to carry two...you could legitimately get 150IP, with 150k's, an era around 2 and whip around 1. Throw in a handful of wins as well. That is ace like production for a fraction of the price.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby kab21 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:21 pm

pokerplaya wrote:I have him in my roto league, and have since the beginning of April. If roster space permits, I like to carry two...you could legitimately get 150IP, with 150k's, an era around 2 and whip around 1. Throw in a handful of wins as well. That is ace like production for a fraction of the price.
It's makes even more sense if there are IP limits. Even in H2H I load up my staff with potential closers. Come playoff time I'll drop anyone that isn't a closer for a starters probably but my goal is to have as many closers as possible. I did have Adams but there were too many potential closers available to roster him.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue May 17, 2011 7:59 pm

kab21 wrote:
pokerplaya wrote:I have him in my roto league, and have since the beginning of April. If roster space permits, I like to carry two...you could legitimately get 150IP, with 150k's, an era around 2 and whip around 1. Throw in a handful of wins as well. That is ace like production for a fraction of the price.
It's makes even more sense if there are IP limits. Even in H2H I load up my staff with potential closers. Come playoff time I'll drop anyone that isn't a closer for a starters probably but my goal is to have as many closers as possible. I did have Adams but there were too many potential closers available to roster him.

Agreed. There is an IP limit in this league.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Nerfherders » Wed May 18, 2011 4:29 pm

It's pretty standard to have top MR's in a roto league with IP limits. Think about this: if you have 4 top MR's, you are getting what is essentially an ace quality starter at WW or end-of-draft.

In my 16 teamer, here are the last few years of what my non-closer relievers have done, collectively.

2011 (3 relievers) 38.33 IP, 10 ER, 44 BR, 30 K, 2 W, 2.34 ERA, 1.15 WHIP

2010 (9) 243.7, 86 ER, 259 BR, 262 K, 16 W, 11 S, 3.18 ERA, 1.06 WHIP

2009 (10) 267, 115 ER, 347 BR, 239 K, 18 W, 8 S, 3.88 ERA, 1.30 WHIP

If you have the pitching slots, it's a great way to go. If you make the right moves during the season, it's essentially like getting a 3rd round starter plus 10 saves for free.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers