Desmond Jennings worth holding onto? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Desmond Jennings worth holding onto? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Desmond Jennings worth holding onto? WHIR

Postby millerpark » Sat May 14, 2011 10:24 am

Hello all.
As I type I'm getting my butt spanked 2-7 for the week so far and need to get things turned around b4 to late.
I was wondering if I should still continue to hold onto desmond Jennings or drop him or someone from current line-up for avaiable players below?
I appericate the help and leave a link and I will do the same.

12 team pay league
Batters Stat Categories:
Runs (R), Home Runs (HR), Runs Batted In (RBI), Stolen Bases (SB), Batting Average (AVG)

Avaiable Players:
Aaron Hill
Ángel Pagán
Jason Bay
Ian Stewart
Derrek Lee
Yunel Escobar
Dexter Fowler
Peter Bourjos
Coco Crisp
Raúl Ibañez
Marlon Byrd
Domonic Brown
J.J. Hardy
Nate McLouth
Michael Brantley
Seth Smith
Josh Willingham
Garrett Jones
Álex González
Johnny Damon
Travis Hafner
Maicer Izturis
Alberto Callaspo
Todd Helton
Eric Hinske
Jeff Baker
Brett Wallace
Greg Dobbs
Fernando Martinez

Roster:

C Miguel Montero

1B Mitch Moreland

2B Neil Walker

3B Michael Young

SS Starlin Castro

OF Carl Crawford

OF Melky Cabrera

OF Logan Morrison

Util Ichiro Suzuki

BN Nelson Cruz

BN Desmond Jennings

DL Pablo Sandoval
millerpark
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Desmond Jennings worth holding onto? WHIR

Postby BigBilly » Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 am

Is this a Keeper league?

I would prefer Dominic Brown over Jennings myself, and Brown is tearing it up in AAA. Depending on the league I would make a move and beef up your roster, there are some decent options on the wire if this is a redraft. Otherwise grab Brown

PLS HELP
viewtopic.php?t=430522
BigBilly
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby BlueJaysFan » Sat May 14, 2011 10:45 am

I would try my luck with Bay, Hafner or even Damon. Hafner is a great UTL guy, as he has decent power and great average. Bay is a risk/reward player, right now he isn't doing much, but if he gets on track he will be a huge steal. Damon is flying under the radar, I know he's 40 but he still has pop in his bat. I managed to get Kubel for him, so he still has value.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=430529
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Relddem » Sat May 14, 2011 3:05 pm

Brown is out another 5-7 days with an injury, which means he likely won't be up for at least another few weeks. Its not serious but he won't be recalled immediately upon getting back into the lineup.

I would hold Jennings. I added him recently in a league and plan to do it in a few more tomorrow, but today was the absolute earliest he was possibly going to come up (and that would be inciting the wrath of the players union so I didn't necessarily expect it), and I think there's a great chance he comes up on Monday. Its a service time issue. If the Rays called him up before today, they would lose a year of service time. This isn't a Super-2 issue because he was already up last year. Unless Sam Fuld goes on another tear, there's no reason for them to wait the two extra months it would take to deprive him of Super-2. If Sam Fuld goes like, 7 for 10 over the weekend and there's no announcement that Jennings is coming up Monday, then I might be a bit worried, but I'm gambling that he'll be up by the end of next weekend and if you put the Over/Under as Friday, I'd take the under.

Also worth noting, Jennings has homered in back to back games for Durham, going 4 for 9 with one walk and one strikeout. He's now hitting .300 / .414 / .492 with five homers and eight steals. He also has 21 walks against 28 strikeouts in just about 160 PA's, which is roughly a league average strikeout rate and an outstanding walk rate. I think he has a higher floor than Brown, as long as the walks carry over to the majors, even if they come down a bit, there will be value in his legs. If the power and average carry over a bit too, he's at least a #3 OF in mixed leagues. I'm going to optimstically project him around .270-60-8-45-25.

For what its worth, the next major prospect called up after Jennings will be Brandon Belt, for similar reasons, though I wouldn't expect him before next weekend. My guess is Jennings is called up this Monday and Belt is called up Tuesday the 24th. It becomes a bit more of a crapshoot after that. Brown could be next, or Mike Moustakas. I don't think a guy like Anthony Rizzo, Brett Lawrie, or Dustin Ackley will be called up before at least one more major callup is made after Jennings and Belt (not counting Brown or Mike Minor, because in terms of service time they'll likely wind up in the previous class), since those teams don't have a whole lot to gain by gambling with their prospects service clocks.
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby millerpark » Sat May 14, 2011 3:14 pm

Relddem ,
Thank-you very much!
I enjoyed reading and taking all the info in...
Go Crew!
millerpark
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 27)

Postby Relddem » Sat May 14, 2011 3:28 pm

I should add, if you were going to drop him the guy I'd add would be Brantley. Its close but Brantley looks pretty legit and his ownership is going to spike soon if he keeps it up. ZiPs has him at .282-75-6-42-24 the rest of the way. That seems a tad optimistic to me, but not by much. His floor is probably pretty similar to Jennings, a bit higher, and his overall upside is probably a bit lower, but he's a solid sleeper going forward, especially in AVG-R-SB, and he probably won't kill you in HR for a third or fourth outfielder. I'd take him over Melky actually AND hold Jennings, and then try to sell someone like Ichiro for a first base upgrade if you miss out on Hosmer and Belt or maybe an arm (you didn't show your pitching staff so can't say what your need is there).
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions