Hanley for Cliff Lee/Walden/Aybar?(WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Hanley for Cliff Lee/Walden/Aybar?(WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hanley for Cliff Lee/Walden/Aybar?(WHIR)

Postby kidsilk » Thu May 12, 2011 2:53 pm

12 team H2H keeper league, 5x5 cats, 29 man rosters. I am getting killed each week in the pitching cats and was recently offered Cliff Lee, Jordan Walden and Erik Aybar for HanRam. Is this enough for Hanley and can I afford to lose his offense especially in a keeper?

My Team:

C-Wieters
1B-Smoak
2B-Phillips
SS-HanRam
3B-Reynolds
MI-Castro
CI-Berkman
OF-Kemp
OF-Ellsbury
OF-J. Upton
OF-Abreu
UT-Ortiz
UT-Maybin
BN-Colvin
BN-A. Escobar
DL-Morales
DL-Guitierrez

P-Lowe
P-Norris
P-Britton
P-Wolf
P-Carp
P-Liriano
P-Nolasco
RP-Soria
RP-Nathan
BN-Cueto
BN-Hammel
BN-Narveson
Kidsilk
kidsilk
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1215)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hanley for Cliff Lee/Walden/Aybar?(WHIR)

Postby jovenparque » Thu May 12, 2011 2:58 pm

i like the deal. it's tough to give up someone like hanley, but you're addressing multiple needs while weakening your MI (which is kind of strong and so can probably take a hit).

OR address your 3B situation. i thankfully dealt away reynolds (had to cough up uggla and marmol to get bourn and hamilton). gambler's fallacy or not, folks are saying he has to get better. i don't know. he has just outright sucked this year.
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Postby emenewe5 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:33 pm

No! Hanley is as valuable as any fantasy player out there. Lee's great but your pitching is solid already. There are a lot of good SP's out there...nobody quite like Hanley tho. Walden? Nice CL. Aybar? Nice SS. But, neither of them are exciting enough to make me give-up a top-5 player for Cliff Lee.
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby dubstar » Thu May 12, 2011 3:38 pm

I would try to get more for Hanley. Lee is a nice SP for sure, but if Hanley turns back into Hanley you could be regretting this for a while.
dubstar
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby wrightinflight » Thu May 12, 2011 4:02 pm

You can definitely do better than that IMO. Maybe alert all owners that Hanley is on the block, if you are really intent on trading him, and see what kind of offers you get. While you are addressing other needs, you are still trading your first round pick.

help? viewtopic.php?t=430313
wrightinflight
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby sixer03fan » Thu May 12, 2011 4:03 pm

[quote="wrightinflight"]You can definitely do better than that IMO. Maybe alert all owners that Hanley is on the block, if you are really intent on trading him, and see what kind of offers you get. While you are addressing other needs, you are still trading your first round pick.[/quote]

+1
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jovenparque » Thu May 12, 2011 4:18 pm

maybe i'm way off, but here's how i see it. categories are 5x5, and i think those are: AVG, HR, R, SB, RBI/W, SV, WHIP, K, ERA

With this 3-1 deal you can address all the pitching categories. And I think Lee is really solid because he is a top pitcher with an above average lineup behind him. So he helps W, even though it's kind of an iffy stat. He'll definitely help K and WHIP has his K/BB is always super solid. Yea, so Lee will definitely help. And Walden can help you win SV. That's a pretty significant improvement, if it goes as planned. I also like having SV help in H2H leagues because it's really hard to predict when those saves will occur. It's one of ten categories so that's pretty significant. I think a top pitcher like Lee can impact a week's worth of categories more than a top hitter in any given week. You have fewer guys activated going after 5 pitching categories, as opposed to more guys activated going after 5 hitting categories.

Aybar is whatever in my opinion. How much help can Hanley provide if he's to perform as expected? He's an elite player because he is a SS who provides power and speed. Is it a 30/30 guys though? I think you got some elite speed guys (ellsbury and kemp and maybe b philips will start to steal...) and decent power and avg guys.

ultimately, i think hanley will affect his 5 categories less than the combination of lee/walden/aybar will affect their respective categories. of course, you have to factor in the people who will be dropped because of a 3-1 deal. and i agree with the above poster that you should shop around to see if you can get a better deal, but that's always the case. see if you get a halladay or a JJ type. folks value hanely so much that it's possible a better deal can be had. and don't sell low on hanley. as for hanley is a first round pick argument, that can only go so far. if you believe hanley will not perform like a 1st rounder, then he shouldn't be treated as one, except to exploit the perception of others that he is a 1st rounder.
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Postby emenewe5 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:30 pm

Well, Hanley was a 30/30 player in 2008 and he's a lock for 20/30. He's going to hit over .300 (.342 in 2009!) and he should score 100 runs (124 in 2008). His RBI aren't mind-blowing but should be about as good as anyone at SS.

Aybar - Hit .253 last year...has NO power...doesn't score much...doesn't drive in anything. He'll steal you around 20 bases and isn't a "bad" player but the comparison here is laughable!

Lee - As with anyone, I love the guy and want him on my team. But, playing devil's advocate, he's only 26-22 over the past two years. He'll get you around 180 K's, which is great, but there are many others out there that can do that too. Yes, the ERA and WHIP are great...and are a huge benefit...but, giving up Hanley for ERA and WHIP? I don't know about that.

Walden - Really like this kid. But, who was Walden a couple months ago? Nobody! The point? Closers come and go and you might be able to land the next "Walden" for nothing in a couple weeks.

This trade is simple. Do you upgrade enough with Lee at SP to manage your HUGE downgrade from Hanley to Aybar. The answer is clearly no, in my opinion.

Not to mention, this is a KEEPER LEAGUE. Hanley's only 27! Lee's 32 (plenty left in the tank, but again, Hanley's the clear choice here).
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jovenparque » Thu May 12, 2011 4:34 pm

emenewe5 wrote:Well, Hanley was a 30/30 player in 2008 and he's a lock for 20/30. He's going to hit over .300 (.342 in 2009!) and he should score 100 runs (124 in 2008). His RBI aren't mind-blowing but should be about as good as anyone at SS.

Aybar - Hit .253 last year...has NO power...doesn't score much...doesn't drive in anything. He'll steal you around 20 bases and isn't a "bad" player but the comparison here is laughable!

Lee - As with anyone, I love the guy and want him on my team. But, playing devil's advocate, he's only 26-22 over the past two years. He'll get you around 180 K's, which is great, but there are many others out there that can do that too. Yes, the ERA and WHIP are great...and are a huge benefit...but, giving up Hanley for ERA and WHIP? I don't know about that.

Walden - Really like this kid. But, who was Walden a couple months ago? Nobody! The point? Closers come and go and you might be able to land the next "Walden" for nothing in a couple weeks.

This trade is simple. Do you upgrade enough with Lee at SP to manage your HUGE downgrade from Hanley to Aybar. The answer is clearly no, in my opinion.

Not to mention, this is a KEEPER LEAGUE. Hanley's only 27! Lee's 32 (plenty left in the tank, but again, Hanley's the clear choice here).

you know what, i agree with this poster. especially because of keeper consideration. the drop from hanley to aybar almost made be puke. while i think some of my previous points remain valid, i think the poster is right in saying that closers can always be found (although you'll be hurting until you do so). and SP can be streamed, not at the level of Lee, but maybe enough to help out your current needs.
jovenparque
College Coach
College Coach

Postby whitheadsuxs » Thu May 12, 2011 7:12 pm

LMAO @ the guy who said the drop from hanley to aybar about made you puke tottally agree with u as well

classic look to me of someone nickle and diming you to death "lemme trade u my second pitcher hes prolly not even trading his ace on his staff erick aybar he got for free from wire or used a 150th pick or worse on " and walden is a new flavor of the week kid who hasnt even been locked in

hanley is real deal as hell and if uv owned him this long theres no way you could live with urself if he has a monster june player of the month month and u traded him for aybar who comes back to reality (i own both these players)
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions