FA Pitchers WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

FA Pitchers WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

FA Pitchers WHIR

Postby smb5187 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:13 pm

I need some new pitchers. Liriano has been awful besides the no hitter and Drabek is shaky. The rest of my rotation is
Verlander
Chacin
Beachy
Pineiro
Pineda
McClellan

I want to drop Liriano and possibly Drabek but I cant decide on someone. These are the top FA pitchers:

Dempster
Pavano
Litsch
Hammel
Porcello
Holland
McCarthy
Dice K

I am leaning towards Litsch at this point but still am kind of stuck
smb5187
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: FA Pitchers WHIR

Postby Ernie.Whitt. » Thu May 12, 2011 12:23 pm

Sweet mother of god NO!

DO NOT drop Liriano for Litsch.

I watch a lot of Jays games, and Litsch is a run of the mill 5th pitcher who has no place on any fantasy teams active roster. Liriano may be sucking right now, but his upside is 3467 times better then Litsch.
Drabek is actually a very good pitcher... but he is young, inexperienced, and needs to learn to hit his spots. He is much better than Litsch, but like Liriano, will have up and down times. For THIS year, I'd prefer Liriano, but Drabek is very promising in the near future as well.
If you really need to pick up someone from that list, I'd probably go with Dempster... but I wouldnt drop Liriano to do it, and even Drabek would be a risk (personally I wouldnt do that either). If its a keeper league, I certainly wouldn't drop either Liriano or Drabek for any of those guys you listed.

help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=430300
Ernie.Whitt.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 49)

Re: FA Pitchers WHIR

Postby Jarcaines » Thu May 12, 2011 12:39 pm

McCarthy is interesting to me. His FIPERA is 2.48 so he has been pitching better then his results would show, but the strike out rate isn't amazing, and never has been. The difference for him this year seems to be a much lower BB/9 (1.45 compared to 3.20 for his career). Hitters have a .321 BABIP against him this year, so that should improve and lower his ERA.

Holland is another player with an inflated ERA (5.18) because of his BABIP against (.354) is super high right now. He has a better K/9 (7.56) and potential for wins the McCarthy, and his FIPERA sits at 3.81.

I don't know if I would drop Liriano for either of them just yet though. Just pay close attention to his K/BB rate over the next few starts, it's pretty brutal right now (.78), mix that with a poor strand rate (58.8 % which is just bad luck) and that is where the problems come from. I would probably keep him on the bench for a few starts and see if he can brings his strike outs up a bit before making a move.

I am not sure I answered your question, but I hope that was helpful.

Here is mine: viewtopic.php?t=430195
Rockhill Ridge Mariners
Jarcaines
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions