Job insight.. More $$$ or Benefits? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Job insight.. More $$$ or Benefits?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Job insight.. More $$$ or Benefits?

Postby dans2 » Wed May 11, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey guys .. pretty unique question here... I am a 23 year old college grad.. I found my first job, and started off part-time (30 hours per week) at a decent company. Long story short, I think I've been given two options: a pay raise of 2 or 3 dollars (Not sure yet... but will end up between 17 and 18 per hour... and stay at 30 hours per week.. OR Become full time, get benefits (6 days paid vacation, full health, dental, 401k) and stay at 15 dollars per hour? I may be able to stay on my parents healthcare plan til I'm 26, so possibly the only perk would be paid vacation and 401k...

Is it a no brainer to take the money?
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Job insight.. More $$$ or Benefits?

Postby lastingsgriller » Wed May 11, 2011 5:37 pm

dans2 wrote:Hey guys .. pretty unique question here... I am a 23 year old college grad.. I found my first job, and started off part-time (30 hours per week) at a decent company. Long story short, I think I've been given two options: a pay raise of 2 or 3 dollars (Not sure yet... but will end up between 17 and 18 per hour... and stay at 30 hours per week.. OR Become full time, get benefits (6 days paid vacation, full health, dental, 401k) and stay at 15 dollars per hour? I may be able to stay on my parents healthcare plan til I'm 26, so possibly the only perk would be paid vacation and 401k...

Is it a no brainer to take the money?

15$ x 40 = $600/week
18$ x 30 = $540/week

what exactly do you mean by "take the money"? more money per hour or more money overall?

it really depends on if you want to work 40 hrs a week or if you are comfy with 30.

there will be more job security with the full time gig, because they can't let you go without reason without you getting unemployment, which costs them money. i'm not really sure of all the details of that, though. maybe someone can fill in.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Take the full-time package. I believe you're no longer a dependent when you're 23 and by then, you're no longer covered by your parents' health insurance. If anything happens, you'll have your company's health and dental to fall back on.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby TheRock » Wed May 11, 2011 5:50 pm

You didn't mention, but I'm not sure it matters what field you are in. There just aren't many occasions where the path to career success starts with working part-time. Working full time shows some commitment and ambition. And get off Mommy and Daddy's insurance. Do you still live in their basement?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby dans2 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Basement? No. Sorry I graduated from a top college during a recession, and while starting part-time isn't ideal, i'm doing what I have to do. But Yes, I do still live at home and I am saving up to move out.
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 11, 2011 6:22 pm

dans2 wrote:Basement? No. Sorry I graduated from a top college during a recession, and while starting part-time isn't ideal, i'm doing what I have to do. But Yes, I do still live at home and I am saving up to move out.

University of Phoenix?

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dans2 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

No i gotz my edjukation from DeVry!

Haha, Penn, actually.
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed May 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Take the extra hours. It will give you more of an opportunity to progress in the future, and 40 hours per week still isn't terribly much. It's actually more money short term, as lastings showed, and long term it's a wayyyy better option.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dans2 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Yea, I get your reasoning.. I was leaning that way too.. my thing was: I only plan to work here for about a year (small-ish company (only 300 employees), so I was goign to get experience and move one to a bigger company. I figured what I was being paid in this job will affect future income more... but I understand the full-time arguement and benefits.. I could stay on my parents insurance til 26 though, so that was the only thing making me second guess.
dans2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 11, 2011 7:20 pm

dans2 wrote:Yea, I get your reasoning.. I was leaning that way too.. my thing was: I only plan to work here for about a year (small-ish company (only 300 employees), so I was goign to get experience and move one to a bigger company. I figured what I was being paid in this job will affect future income more... but I understand the full-time arguement and benefits.. I could stay on my parents insurance til 26 though, so that was the only thing making me second guess.

Going full-time at your current company gives you some flexibility (and security) if you just so happen to be content with staying on board. At worst, you'll receive a full package of benefits (or something closer to that).

Also, moving to a bigger company isn't necessarily better (that's my pro-startup bias talking though). Anywhere you feel like you're making the most of your potential, getting paid well (subjective, really), and just simply happy about the job as a whole, is the best place to be at.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Next

Return to General Talk