why do we rush to pick up prospects.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

why do we rush to pick up prospects..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: why do we rush to pick up prospects..

Postby wrveres » Thu May 12, 2011 4:19 am

cs3 wrote:.
gotcha
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cs3 » Thu May 12, 2011 4:51 am

so would you accept a lesser draft pick than a #1?
i actually sent out a ton of offers for nothing more than a 10th round pick in one league, then quickly changed my mind and cancelled all of them because i really have no idea.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Thu May 12, 2011 5:53 am

cs3 wrote:i actually sent out a ton of offers for nothing more than a 10th round pick in one league, then quickly changed my mind and cancelled all of them because i really have no idea.
and all those owners just got two emails saying you are a spaz. ;-7 relax, give him a 100 ab's
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby mblax10 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:16 am

Ender wrote:
Looking over the names you mentioned, a lot of them had down years between their rookie year and a breakout year where they would have been thought of as keepers in leagues with 5 or less keepers.

Votto - 2009 was a nice year but 25 HR, 80 RBI/R wouldn't have been kept unless you were a deeper league. 1B was so deep that he would have been available in a lot of keeper drafts.

Tulo - 2008 was a bad year. 8 HR in a 101 games wouldn't be a keeper. Not even a question here.

Fielder - Another 28 HR with 80 RBI/R guy that probably wouldn't be kept.

Hamilton - 2009 10 HR and 54 RBI is not a keeper. Injury history and just looked bad. This guy was going later in drafts with few people expecting him to regain his old form.

So just because they had a good rookie year doesn't mean that it will translate immediately.

I would have kept Votto and Fielder for sure, both of them were no doubter type talents.

This is not true. Votto was losing OF eligibility after his rookie season. At that point he was nowhere near the stud 1B he is now.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:37 am

mblax10 wrote:
I would have kept Votto and Fielder for sure, both of them were no doubter type talents.

This is not true. Votto was losing OF eligibility after his rookie season. At that point he was nowhere near the stud 1B he is now.[/quote]

For the same reason that everyone rushes to pick up prospects everyone keeps young players or overdrafts them based on potential. sometimes it works and sometimes (a lot of times) it doesn't. But I recall Votto being in keeper discussions that year.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am

kab21 wrote:
mblax10 wrote:

This is not true. Votto was losing OF eligibility after his rookie season. At that point he was nowhere near the stud 1B he is now.

For the same reason that everyone rushes to pick up prospects everyone keeps young players or overdrafts them based on potential. sometimes it works and sometimes (a lot of times) it doesn't. But I recall Votto being in keeper discussions that year.[/quote]

In the intrest of full disclosure... I picked up Votto that year and had a really long and drawn out decision about whether I wanted to keep him or Markakis. I kept Markakis !+)
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby MaudDib » Thu May 12, 2011 10:00 am

kab21 wrote:
mblax10 wrote:

For the same reason that everyone rushes to pick up prospects everyone keeps young players or overdrafts them based on potential. sometimes it works and sometimes (a lot of times) it doesn't. But I recall Votto being in keeper discussions that year.[/quote]
He might have been in the discussion but like everything it would depend on the league and who your other keepers are. But just the fact that he was in the discussion means he was no lock to be a keeper. Which was my point, that even the best young players were not really keepers for a few years. They might have had very nice rookie years but they didn't take that step into stardom the next year. Only the very very few hit the majors and become instant stars.

Votto and Fielder had a lot of question marks in there talent. Fielder has been up and down his entire career some questions his weight and even questioning whether he should start eating meat again. Votto was no guarantee that he would be this good. Very few people saw that kind of breakout last year. He was good but I don't remember anyone touting him as an elite 1B.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby MaudDib » Thu May 12, 2011 10:03 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
kab21 wrote:
mblax10 wrote:

For the same reason that everyone rushes to pick up prospects everyone keeps young players or overdrafts them based on potential. sometimes it works and sometimes (a lot of times) it doesn't. But I recall Votto being in keeper discussions that year.

In the intrest of full disclosure... I picked up Votto that year and had a really long and drawn out decision about whether I wanted to keep him or Markakis. I kept Markakis !+)[/quote]

In a pretty competitive Dynasty league I am in (owners are all knowledgeable guys, heck we have 20 man minor league systems) I picked up Votto off waivers because an owner didn't have a use for him. I also got Tulo off waivers because he had such a bad 2nd year. Neither one of them was a great pickup at the time and I questioned trading Votto a year later but thought I would give him a little longer. These guys were by no means sure things.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 380)

Postby BEN2074X » Thu May 12, 2011 3:03 pm

Lottery ticket. typically cheap and everyone is hopeful they just picked up Pujol's.
BEN2074X
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri May 13, 2011 10:53 am

oh yeah.. now I remember why.. :-)
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers