Pop Ups in the Cafe - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pop Ups in the Cafe

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pop Ups in the Cafe

Postby kaiser » Wed May 11, 2011 7:50 am

In the last month or two, I have begun to receive "pop up" ads whenever I sign on to the Cafe. Is anyone else experiencing this? Trying to figure out if it is a Cafe thing, or just something on my computer.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 305)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Pop Ups in the Cafe

Postby saemick » Wed May 11, 2011 7:56 am

Same thing here. Not just you
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Pop Ups in the Cafe

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed May 11, 2011 8:43 am

all you should get is the daily pop-under...you can try posting something here http://www.fantasycafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=71
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby kaiser » Wed May 11, 2011 8:56 am

It's not a big deal- the Cafe is a free service, and very valuable to me, so I recognize that some money needs to be made somewhere to support the program. I'm not complaining. Just wanted to make sure that this wasn't something that had gotten onto my computer, since this just started.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby neoforce » Wed May 11, 2011 9:14 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:all you should get is the daily pop-under...you can try posting something here http://www.fantasycafe.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=71

that thread that Dan pointed to is very clear and explains how to report problems. It says here are the rules for ads:

While we can't entirely spare you from ads at the Cafe, we do have certain guidelines:

- A maximum of one popUNDER per visit, no popUPs or anything else that appears in front of the Cafe window
- No ads that suddenly get bigger or start crawling across your screen
- No ads that start talking to you or make other terrible sounds
- No ads that automatically start a download or generate some other kind of security warning simply from surfing the Cafe

Yesterday I used that thread to report and obnoxious speaking ad and it was fixed right away. I've seen pop "overs" (aka popUps) as well recently as opposed to pop "unders" which is also against those rules, so you may want to report it in that thread. I've only seen it a few times and those don't bother me the way the speaking ones do, so I didn't try to report the pop overs.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby menyak » Wed May 11, 2011 7:44 pm

neoforce, thanks again for the detailed report - easy to find in the system. ;-D

This one comes from the Cafe's official provider for popunders, though. (So generally, it's not like it's a sneaky ad that shouldn't be there in the first place.) "Only" problem is that it pops UP and not UNDER. But after carefully reading this thread, I'd just like to make sure that this is actually happening. Kaiser and saemic, can you confirm that this one actually stays on top of your browser window? (I'm asking, because there have been a LOT of misconcenptions concerning popups/unders over the years. O:-) )

Anyone else seeing popUPs or UNDERs? :-)

neoforce, you're very clear that you've had popUPs (=overs). Are you per chance using any kind of popup blocker? Reason I'm asking is because in the past, we've had those blockers not block the ads but just wrestling with them a while, loosing the wrestle and then dropping them on top of browser window.

(Generally, I'd like to make sure before I kick the butt of the ad network, that they're actually guilty. ;-) Thanks in advance!)
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby kaiser » Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Menyak,

The pop-under that I have seen (the one with the robot) is always under the browser, not on top of it. I apologize for creating confusion with my earlier post by calling it a "pop-up." I've never heard the term "pop-under" before, but that is obviously what this is. My only intent with the original post was to make sure that it was actually supposed to be there (i.e. was officially sanctioned by Cafe management) and not adware that had somehow found it's way onto my computer, or onto the Cafe.

Just trying to do my part to keep the Cafe as great as it has always been!

kaiser
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby menyak » Thu May 12, 2011 5:33 pm

kaiser wrote:Menyak,

The pop-under that I have seen (the one with the robot) is always under the browser, not on top of it. I apologize for creating confusion with my earlier post by calling it a "pop-up." I've never heard the term "pop-under" before, but that is obviously what this is. My only intent with the original post was to make sure that it was actually supposed to be there (i.e. was officially sanctioned by Cafe management) and not adware that had somehow found it's way onto my computer, or onto the Cafe.

Just trying to do my part to keep the Cafe as great as it has always been!

kaiser

Thanks for the info! ;-D
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby jfg » Thu May 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah, I have no problems with the pop-ups. That speaking one was annoying, thanks for fixing that.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby jfg » Fri May 13, 2011 4:22 am

Um, yeah I'm seeing the pop unders now and Chrome is telling me they have a poor reputation.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers