Just Traded A.Pujols. Thoughts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Just Traded A.Pujols. Thoughts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Just Traded A.Pujols. Thoughts?

Postby Roberto Clemente » Tue May 10, 2011 10:42 pm

I am in a very competitive Yahoo Keeper League. 8 by 8 stats. We will keep 5 or 6 players next year.

Currently in 4th Place after leading much of the year until injuries derailed me along with slumping bats.

My roster is below.

I traded A.Pujols and C.J. Wilson for M.Kemp and E.Hosmer.

My point of view...Being in a Keeper League where youth is at a premium I am getting much younger. Pujols is 31 years old and Kemp is 26. Hosmer is 21 years old.

Kemp is Ranked 5th overall right now and had another great game tonight. My Outfield was weak outside of D.Stubbs. I was dealinf from an area of strength at 1B. I also have J.Votto.

I really believe in Hosmer and look at him as my 5th or 6th Keeper.

Sure...it hurt to give up Pujols...but factoring in his age and production this year made it easier.

2011 Yahoo 10 Team Roto/Keeper League.
BATTERS
C- Chris Iannetta
1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Howie Kendrick
3B- Wilson Betemit
SS- Troy Tulowitzki
OF- Drew Stubbs
OF- Michael Bourn
OF- Johnny Damon
Util- Joey Votto
Util- Logan Morrison
BN- Dan Uggla
DL- Pablo Sandoval
DL- Joe Mauer
PITCHERS
SP- Jered Weaver
SP- Trevor Cahill
SP- Jorge De La Rosa
RP- Neftali Feliz
RP- Joakim Soria
P- John Axford
P- J.J. Putz
P- Frank Francisco
BN- Bud Norris
BN- Aaron Crow
BN- C.J. Wilson
Roberto Clemente
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just Traded A.Pujols. Thoughts?

Postby taw856 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:37 pm

It really depends on your league's settings and how your keepers work. I can see the logic, but I still think you'll be on the weaker end of this deal for another year or two minimum -- so it only really balances out if the extent to which it helps you based on your keeper settings runs that deep.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=430111
taw856
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby cs3 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 am

im not a fan of this deal. Hosmer most likely wont help you at all this year (hes not as good for UT as your bench option Uggla) and Albert is going to finish as a top 10 hitter like he always does. And I dont see him slowing down too much in the next 3 years either.
Kemp has been incredible so far but i fear hell get bored when LA falls completely out of contention and wont produce at such a high level.

do your keepers have any cost or penalties? tell us about the set up because it could make a huge difference.

im actually in a similar dilemma where im having trouble valuing players with their keeper status factored in...
care to comment on it?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=430125
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 11, 2011 2:07 am

I agree with the comments above. I've never played keeper so I'm not sure how it works but Pujols will still be in the top5 1st round picks for a few more years imo. B-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby SwampDonkey » Wed May 11, 2011 3:59 am

I honestly don't have a problem with this, barring the fact you are building for the future. You have Votto which definitely helps, and Kemp will definitely bolster your OF(Barring a mental lapse, he seems like he is ready for a 30/30 and ready to make that jump to elite status). Hosmer will be a beast, not now but in the near future and could be a building block. I like it for you
Help with mine:http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=430151
Ian Kretzers
SwampDonkey
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby Roberto Clemente » Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

taw856 wrote:It really depends on your league's settings and how your keepers work. I can see the logic, but I still think you'll be on the weaker end of this deal for another year or two minimum -- so it only really balances out if the extent to which it helps you based on your keeper settings runs that deep.

Mine: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=430111

My League Settings are as follows-

Runs, Home Runs, RBI's, Stolen Bases, Walks, Total Bases and Batting Avg.

We keep 6 players each year. There are no restrictions. So...if I owned M.Kemp...I could keep him for the next decade if I wanted.

Since there are no restrictions in regards to our Keepers, it really places value on youth.

C.J. Wilson is up and down. Good Strikeout rate though. He will not be kept. So it is basically Pujols for 2 Keepers. Kemp is rated in the top 5. Hosmer and Kemp are both younger.
Roberto Clemente
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cs3 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 pm

if there are no restrictions on keepers than that diminishes Hosmer's value imo.
if you have to keep a guy in teh round he ws drafted, then keeping a good, but not great, production guy like Hosmer in the last round would be more valuable than keeping a similar perhaps slightly better player in one of the first 5 rounds.

with your settings its probably best to keep your 6 best overall players, unless you dont plan to contend at all next year.
and i dont think Hosmer is/will be in that top 6 - Votto, Tulo, Weaver, Pujols(Kemp), Stubbs, Uggla, Pablo, Mauer are all likely to be much better Keepers. with the exception of Pujols, they are all still pretty young and in their prime. and like i said before i dont expect Pujols to fall out of the top 10 anytime soon.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby whitheadsuxs » Wed May 11, 2011 8:26 pm

i dont like it at all pujols is a shut em down mvp you coulda got more and hosmer for the future no one argues if anyone is better than pujols people argue if people are his equal u shoulda got a 3 for one like kemp sandoval and hosmer
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Lofunzo » Wed May 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Roberto Clemente wrote:Since there are no restrictions in regards to our Keepers, it really places value on youth.

This is where I really think that people overvalue youth in a keeper. What's the age difference here?? 4-5 years?? If Pujols was at the end, I could see considering this but, under the circumstances, you gave up the #1 player in the game for someone that isn't even close, IMHO. I like Kemp but he isn't Pujols. The only way that I see this deal helping you is if your league will be around in 8-10 years and no one has a crystal ball. I have seen many people panic into youth movements only to see their leagues fold up before they could ever reap the benefits. Since you only keep 5-6 players, I would be focusing on the better players rather than the younger players. For your sake, I really hope that Hosmer hits the ground running.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Roberto Clemente » Thu May 12, 2011 7:14 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Roberto Clemente wrote:Since there are no restrictions in regards to our Keepers, it really places value on youth.

This is where I really think that people overvalue youth in a keeper. What's the age difference here?? 4-5 years?? If Pujols was at the end, I could see considering this but, under the circumstances, you gave up the #1 player in the game for someone that isn't even close, IMHO. I like Kemp but he isn't Pujols. The only way that I see this deal helping you is if your league will be around in 8-10 years and no one has a crystal ball. I have seen many people panic into youth movements only to see their leagues fold up before they could ever reap the benefits. Since you only keep 5-6 players, I would be focusing on the better players rather than the younger players. For your sake, I really hope that Hosmer hits the ground running.

I understand where you guys are coming from.

I respect your opinions.

However...Pujols is batting .270. His stats are down. He is getting older. Kemp is having a great year so far.

I really like E.Hosmer.

Time will be the judge in the end.
Roberto Clemente
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions