Thoughts on Curtis Granderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Curtis Granderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Curtis Granderson

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue May 10, 2011 1:45 pm

He has 20 HR over his last 200 ABs (dating back to last September). He is mashing left handed pitching so far this year (already more HRs against LH pitching this year (5) than all of last year (4)). At the start of the season I thought he could approach 30/15 if he stays healthy...maybe a .270/90/30/90/15 line for a good year but he is beating expectations so far...thoughts?

I ask because I think he is a great sell high but if he could realistically hit 35+ HR with 10-15 SB than I would probably keep him unless I am blown away with an offer.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Curtis Granderson

Postby AquaMan2342 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:11 pm

The sky is the limit power-wise with that short right field porch. 35 is a distinct possibility.
AquaMan2342
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Location: Searchin for my mainline....I couldn't hit it sideways

Postby bigken117 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:23 pm

hold

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 251)

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 10, 2011 2:27 pm

With the fast start I expect him to hit 30+ HRs and bat around .275-.280. I know he's worked on hitting against lefties, but he won't continue mashing them like this all season, so his average and counting stats should come down a bit (can't keep up the 120/55/115-.283 pace he's on). I think 95/30/95/15-.275 is probably a pretty good year end projection for him. Maybe runs and rbi move back and forth depending on how much he bats in the top 3rd or middle 3rd of the lineup.

He's in a good lineup and a good park so I would not be outrageously surprised if he topped 35 HRs, but I don't think he's likely to be up in that range consistently.

I do think it'll be tough to find someone to give you enough value on him to make trading worth it. I was high on him and reached in one league to where all but one other owner thought I reached to far (top of the 9th round). I wouldn't sell him for 9th round value now, and I doubt folks opinion of him has changed drastically enough after one month to buy him off of my team.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 138)

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:52 pm

Granderson's value really depends on where he bats in the lineup.

Batting 2nd last year, he had a 1.022 OPS.
Batting 7th or 8th last year, he had a .775 - .817 OPS

This year it's more of the same except he's batting 2nd a whole lot more often.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby slomo007 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:53 pm

bleach168 wrote:Granderson's value really depends on where he bats in the lineup.

This year it's more of the same except he's usually batting 2nd a whole lot more often.

Or maybe he started hitting better then got moved to 2nd?

Chicken/egg
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby bleach168 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:03 pm

slomo007 wrote:
bleach168 wrote:Granderson's value really depends on where he bats in the lineup.

This year it's more of the same except he's usually batting 2nd a whole lot more often.

Or maybe he started hitting better then got moved to 2nd?

Chicken/egg

My thinking is he faces a lot less lefties when batting second. Even in late inning situations, I don't see opposing managers bringing in a lefty just to face Granderson if he has Jeter in front and Teix and ARod behind.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby cs3 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:20 pm

hot4tx wrote:I do think it'll be tough to find someone to give you enough value on him to make trading worth it. I was high on him and reached in one league to where all but one other owner thought I reached to far (top of the 9th round). I wouldn't sell him for 9th round value now, and I doubt folks opinion of him has changed drastically enough after one month to buy him off of my team.

this is exactly the problem. all the owners that dont have him on any teams think hes just on a hot streak, and look to last years crappy BA for confirmation.
i drafted him in the 11th in one league and traded for him in week 2 in my other league (sent off Tababta + Colby Lewis)

Ive been trying to flip him ever since and so far all these offers i sent out in the past week were laughed at and turned down without so much as a second thought:
Granderson for Jaime Garcia.
Granderson for B. Anderson
Granderson + Latos for Hamels
Granderson + Beachy for Greinke
Granderson + Beachy for Kinsler
Granderson + Scherzer for Marcum
Granderson + Latos for Hanson

so my feeling is that hes much more valuable to your team than what you could get in a trade, unless you have a ton of quality OF and are in desperate need of a certain position. but dont expect fair value for him because you wont get it
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KCollins1304 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:49 pm

What he's doing now is definitely legitimate. You can trace back the success he is having to changes made in his swing last September/August to make his swing more compact and have less moving parts. I'd agree he ends up somewhere 30-35 hr and around .270 BA with counting stats depending on where he is hitting in the order.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby jpbusta » Wed May 11, 2011 1:34 am

Ever since Gardner left the lead off spot, it seems like Granderson is the favored 2nd batter. Swisher has bat second a few times but with his performance as of right now, I think Granderson will continue to bat 2nd more often.
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers