Thoughts on Curtis Granderson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Curtis Granderson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Thoughts on Curtis Granderson

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:56 am

jpbusta wrote:Ever since Gardner left the lead off spot, it seems like Granderson is the favored 2nd batter. Swisher has bat second a few times but with his performance as of right now, I think Granderson will continue to bat 2nd more often.

They have been putting Granderson 2nd against righties and Swisher there against lefties. Considering how he's hitting lefties, I wonder if he might stay there more permanently.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigken117 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:28 pm

Beast. :-°

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby cs3 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:07 am

aaaand now Price gets granderSON'd !
hes mashing some seriously talented lefties like theyre all little leaguers.
now just imagine what Grandersons rbi #'s could look like if the Yanks had a leadoff hitter who actually got on base in front of him once in a while...
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lordrevolution » Thu May 19, 2011 2:57 pm

He's already half way to 30HRs (okay 14 but whatever) and it's not even two whole months into the season. Given that he's actually capable of hitting lefties now is predicting 25+ more HRs the rest of the way more reasonable then the common prediction of a finish around 30 total?
Lordrevolution
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jcook3127 » Thu May 19, 2011 3:49 pm

I'd look to sell high, and this is coming from a pretty big Granderson fan..

His plate approach hasn't really changed...and he's still a .260-.270 hitter...the only thing that's changed is his HR/Fly rate is pretty much twice the rate he's established over the past few seasons..

I understand the short porch, but it was there last season too..and I'm not suggesting Grandy isn't a valuable fantasy commodity...but he's going to start hitting home runs less frequently, and DEPENDING on if you can get a really nice sell-high on him, I would.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tex » Thu May 19, 2011 5:59 pm

jcook3127 wrote:I'd look to sell high, and this is coming from a pretty big Granderson fan..

His plate approach hasn't really changed...and he's still a .260-.270 hitter...the only thing that's changed is his HR/Fly rate is pretty much twice the rate he's established over the past few seasons..

I understand the short porch, but it was there last season too..and I'm not suggesting Grandy isn't a valuable fantasy commodity...but he's going to start hitting home runs less frequently, and DEPENDING on if you can get a really nice sell-high on him, I would.

Agreed.

Granderson is actually a really interesting case in fantasy perception vs. reality. I think people easily mistake him for a great power/speed asset, but SBs aren't a big part of his game, his AVG/OBP are a liability (even during his current streak), and his position in the lineup hurts his RBI potential. Even if this is a career HR year for Granderson, he can be replaced without a lot of drop-off by less hyped guys such as Jones, Choo, Stubbs, Young, Upton, maybe Branton, maybe Maybin, etc. As such, if a great offer comes your way I think you gotta accept it if you think you can get one of those replacements cheap.
Tex
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby cs3 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Tex wrote:
jcook3127 wrote:I'd look to sell high, and this is coming from a pretty big Granderson fan..

Agreed.

Granderson is actually a really interesting case in fantasy perception vs. reality. I think people easily mistake him for a great power/speed asset, but SBs aren't a big part of his game, his AVG/OBP are a liability (even during his current streak), and his position in the lineup hurts his RBI potential. Even if this is a career HR year for Granderson, he can be replaced without a lot of drop-off by less hyped guys such as Jones, Choo, Stubbs, Young, Upton, maybe Branton, maybe Maybin, etc. As such, if a great offer comes your way I think you gotta accept it if you think you can get one of those replacements cheap.

i agree the perception *should* be outweighing his true value.
however the problem is that nobody is willing to buy him for what you would expect.

i have him in 2 leagues.
drafted him in the 11th in one and and got sniped 4 picks before my turn in the other (in round 10). in that one, i ended up trading colby lewis + tabata for him in the 2nd week of the season. Ive been trying to flip him ever since.
like i mentioned before, i have put him up on the block numerous times trying to cash in on his great start.
check out the list of offers i sent out back on page one... some pretty enticing offers that i thought would be snap accepts.
so far no takers.
Last edited by cs3 on Fri May 20, 2011 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jcook3127 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:49 pm

Yea I hear ya...but that's the right idea anyway..if nobody bites, there's nothing you can do

I can't believe that guy declined Grandy + Max for Marcum...I'm not sure I'd trade Max alone for Marcum.
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bleach168 » Thu May 19, 2011 10:51 pm

When the median batting average is .250 and the median fantasy team's batting average is .265, Granderson is no longer a liability in that category.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby JMB05 » Fri May 20, 2011 10:45 pm

cs3 wrote:
hot4tx wrote:I do think it'll be tough to find someone to give you enough value on him to make trading worth it. I was high on him and reached in one league to where all but one other owner thought I reached to far (top of the 9th round). I wouldn't sell him for 9th round value now, and I doubt folks opinion of him has changed drastically enough after one month to buy him off of my team.

this is exactly the problem. all the owners that dont have him on any teams think hes just on a hot streak, and look to last years crappy BA for confirmation.
i drafted him in the 11th in one league and traded for him in week 2 in my other league (sent off Tababta + Colby Lewis)

Ive been trying to flip him ever since and so far all these offers i sent out in the past week were laughed at and turned down without so much as a second thought:
Granderson for Jaime Garcia.
Granderson for B. Anderson
Granderson + Latos for Hamels
Granderson + Beachy for Greinke
Granderson + Beachy for Kinsler
Granderson + Scherzer for Marcum
Granderson + Latos for Hanson

so my feeling is that hes much more valuable to your team than what you could get in a trade, unless you have a ton of quality OF and are in desperate need of a certain position. but dont expect fair value for him because you wont get it

FWIW I was able to trade Granderson and Lilly for Greinke.

The owner needed power and I wanted Greinke , so it owrked out, it's also a big money league so there was no funny business.

If that trade hadn't worked out I would have been just as happy holding on to him.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers