Pitcher Overload. Trade?Drop? Help! (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Pitcher Overload. Trade?Drop? Help! (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pitcher Overload. Trade?Drop? Help! (WHIR)

Postby rjforlife » Tue May 10, 2011 11:55 am

5x5 H2H 10 teams with weekly changes. When Logan Morrison comes off the DL or perhaps if someone enticing comes up on the wire I will have to drop a pitcher. I tend to keep a lot of pitchers on hand and play matchups or two start guys to maximize the staff. My problem is that now I have too many. We have 9 open pitching spots, and most teams use either 2 or 3 closers, and I tend to mirror my opponent for number of closers.

I have:

Kimbrel
Santos
Francisco
Broxton(DL)

I suppose I could drop Francisco but that really hurts my flexibility on starting 3 closers if I want or if Kimbrel/Santos goes cold and loses their job I would be down to one. Broxton is irrelevant being on the DL, just wanted to mention I had him.

So if I can't drop a closer, I would have to drop one of these pitchers:

Felix
Verlander
Gio
Morrow
Shields
Norris
Kennedy
Chacin
Wandy
Beachy
Cueto

I know it's a lot of starters but I really don't know what to do as I would be hard-pressed to say who's the worst and even if one of them is droppable. If a consensus could be reached on here and help me make a decision that would be enormously helpful. Thanks and post a link I will help.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pitcher Overload. Trade?Drop? Help! (WHIR)

Postby Whosyomamma » Tue May 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Thanks for the help on mine...

That said I'd probably lean towards dropping either Beachy or Cueto out of the list of pitchers that you have. You have a pretty solid staff, how big is your rosters (you have so many pitchers)? I think you need to hold onto those closers for the time being. Kimbrel is definitely solid but the ChiSox are hardly winning at the moment so Santos isn't really getting many ops, finally Francisco seems to have taken his job back now.
Whosyomamma
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm

Beachy or Kennedy are your weak links. Cueto is a good pitcher, and while his previous injury is a concern, he looked solid in his debut. I would not worry about losing pitchers of Beachy or Kennedy's talent level, so consider them droppable if you need to make a move.

Thanks for your help.
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby rjforlife » Tue May 10, 2011 12:14 pm

I made a huge mistake and forgot to add that this is a keeper where you can keep up to 6 players.

Verlander and Felix cost a bunch to keep but every other player including the closers can be kept at the league minimum price of $5. $260 budget, 10 teams. We have 5 bench, all of which are pitchers on my team.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mr. D » Tue May 10, 2011 1:38 pm

FWIW I wouldn't drop Beachy, he's been solid vs. some pretty good lineups thus far with a high K/9. Great sleeper this year,may have to watch innings later on in the season tho, just needs some runs support for Wins.
Mr. D
College Coach
College Coach

Postby saemick » Tue May 10, 2011 1:47 pm

This is a tough one, but with the staff you have, I think I'd have to drop Beachy or Cueto as well. If you feel that Beachy will be one of your keepers next year, then hold onto him, but his innings will be limited this year. But if you don't plan to keep hin, I think dropping him would be the move.

Thanks for the help with mine; I added a follow up question. If you have a chance:

viewtopic.php?t=430066
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby whitheadsuxs » Tue May 10, 2011 1:52 pm

i was gonna say wandy cueto beachy shut down the brewers dont drop him atleast til he hurts you viewtopic.php?t=430101
whitheadsuxs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Trooper » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:42 am

I think those guys are really all a bit too good to drop outright...why not trade two or three of em for a big hitter or top pitcher? I'd look to trade cueto and something else, you could probably get something really good and also clear the spot. Don't just drop 'em, get something of value back! ;-D
Trooper
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby billycent » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:00 am

I agree w/an above post... try a package deal trade first to bring some value back, but if u must drop 1 then I think Wandy is ur man, that Hou offense is horrible and he hasn't been much better of late, and based on that list of pitchers he wouldn't be sorely missed. P.S. I see a lot of people hating on Cueto but I think he has really turned a corner and has a solid offense supporting him, low k/9 is the only complaint lately... I'd hang onto him. Hope this helps. Take a look at mine please?

viewtopic.php?t=435368
billycent
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:05 am

Thanks for the replies guys, but this was in May.....an odd very late bump?
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions