Give BJ Upton/Putz Get Crawford/Rafael Perez WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Give BJ Upton/Putz Get Crawford/Rafael Perez WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Give BJ Upton/Putz Get Crawford/Rafael Perez WHIR

Postby charris414 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:47 am

15 team DEEP 6x6 roto with OPS and holds.

Current Outfielders are Upton, Stubbs, Torres (DL), Jackson, Abreu, Juan Rivera, and Rowand

Current bullpen is Putz, Street, Farnsworth, Rhodes, Balfour, Lindstrom, Batista, and Thornton. Near the top of the league in saves and holds, but ERA and WHIP suck due to bad starting pitching.

Is the difference between Upton and Crawford that big that losing a stable closer in a league this deep is worth the risk?
charris414
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Give BJ Upton/Putz Get Crawford/Rafael Perez WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Tue May 10, 2011 12:04 pm

This is tough but I think I would do it. Crawford could is really good and the upside he brings out weighs the lose you might have.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 381)

Postby rjforlife » Tue May 10, 2011 12:12 pm

I'd be very hesitant on this deal. Upton gets a little boost in OPS leagues because he walks a bunch more than Crawford and their slugging is similar, so the difference between them is smaller. And to be frank, Upton is playing well this season and Crawford is not. Is that going to normalize a bit? Yes. But is Crawford going to turn it around enough to throughly outperform Upton to warrant giving up a very good closer for a holds guy? I really don't know. It easily comes down to your faith in Crawford and BJ. If you believe they will both end up with fairly normal stats for each of them, then you have to take the deal because BJ has already accomplished a good chunk of his yearly numbers while Crawford still has almost all his counting stats to accumulate the rest of the way. Personally I think Crawford will do OK the rest of the way but overall it will be a strong down year for him, making this trade a bad one for you. If you feel otherwise about Crawford then it's an easy choice. You are selling high and buying low, probably.

Help:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=430088
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 766)

Postby charris414 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Forgot to add one very important piece of information: this is an auction, contract league.

I have Upton starting at $30 and Putz at $15

The other guy has Crawford at $53 and Perez at $5.

We had expanded budgets ($360 I think), so prices were higher than in a 10 team standard league.

I think I have to hesitantly decline. This guy has been after Putz or Street all season, and he's asked for combos of them plus Bud Norris and offered Ethier and various dregs. That was an easy decline. This one, not so much. But if Crawford's price was under $50, I think I'd do it.

But having Upton starting at $30, with a potential 5 year contract at $1 increases.

I declined
charris414
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions