Should I Even Consider This Trade? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Should I Even Consider This Trade? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Should I Even Consider This Trade? WHIR

Postby sman79 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:04 am

am in a head to head ten team keeper league on Yahoo! which uses these stats R, H, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OBP, W, CG, SHO, SV, K, ERA, WHIP, K/BB.

My Roster:

C Geovany Soto
1B Justin Morneau
2B Ian Kinsler
3B Mark Reynolds
SS Jose Reyes
OF Shin Soo Choo
OF Carlos Gonzalez
OF Ichiro Suzuki
Util Howie Kendrick
BN Torii Hunter
BN Michael Cuddyer

SP Roy Halladay
SP Francisco Liriano
RP Brian Wilson
RP Huston Street
P Jonathan Sanchez
P Chad Billingsley
P Joel Hanrahan
BN Jair Jurrjens
BN Ricky Nolasco
BN Gavin Floyd

Another manager has proposed Jimmy Rollins, Adam Dunn, and Alex Rodriguez for Jose Reyes and Carlos Gonzalez. Should I even consider the trade?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Leave a link and I'll get back to you.
sman79
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Should I Even Consider This Trade? WHIR

Postby BiGAnT » Mon May 09, 2011 2:23 am

In my opinion I would do this...HOWEVER, it seems kind of risky. I seem to get mixed signals from people about CarGo...I known he will eventually produce BUT he has not been proven for a long time so its not like we can know that he's guaranteed to do certain things. Now Dunn on the other hand has done the same thing consistently for the past 10 years or however long, and so he will definitely come around, especially in that park. You can never go wrong with arod at 3rd, ESPECIALLY over Reynolds, that would be a huge upgrade. And then you get Rollins on top of that; I know people think Reyes is better but I like Rollins just as much as Reyes (Rollins seems to have his wheels back so far which puts him on Reyes' level if you ask me). Ultimately I think you would be gaining more than you're losing on this one. Hope that helps! Thanks for your help on mine ;-D
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby YankeesFan13 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:21 am

In CarGo’s first full season, he had 197 hits with 9 triples and 111 runs. That was a deserving MVP season so I don’t know if we will have better numbers this year but he is still hitting in front of Tulo. If you trade him away you will be starting Torii Hunter it looks like – Torii has never scored more than 94 runs, and that was his contract year in Minnesota. He hasn’t hit more than 2 triples since 2003. So I would say this is a downgrade for other statistical reasons also.

When Jose Reyes is healthy, which he looks very healthy this year, he hits anywhere from 12-19 triples. He scores close to 200 runs and has over 30 stolen bases a year, he had 60, 64, 78, 56 in years 2005-2008 when healthy. Jimmy Rollins has never scored more than 139 runs even in a hitting offense. He has never had more than 20 triples, and that was his standalone mvp season which he has never come close to any other year. His batting average is awful compared to Reyes who looks like he is playing out his contract year to make some money this offseason.

Mark Reynolds is a career .239 hitter while A-rod is a career .302 hitter. He scores over 120 runs when healthy, which he again looks like this season while Reynolds has never scored over 98 runs. Neither will get you triples, probably the same home runs, alex may swipe a couple bags for you too. A-rod is obviously an upgrade here.

Adam Dunn will score close to 100 runs, 0 triples, around 40 homeruns although he’s off to a slow start, 0 stolen bases, over 100 rbis. Morneau doesn’t look that impressive this year either, on an average year from him he will never score over 100 runs, over 100 rbis, 0 triples, 0 stolen bases, close to 30 homeruns, but no this year it doesn’t look it.

I honestly think you are getting scammed here only because of the way your league is setup, I have never seen a league like this and would suggest changing it next year, it is kind of ridiculous actually. Reyes is a stud this year you should keep him. Cargo is a stud, one of few 5 tool players. Both will get you average this year, triples, homeruns, runs, and even a decent amount of rbis, a great on base percentage, stolen bases, etc. Yes A-rod is a step up from Reynolds, but would you rather start Rollins? Would you even start Dunn on your team?
YankeesFan13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby sixer03fan » Mon May 09, 2011 12:26 pm

I would say no to this deal.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby dgrogs » Mon May 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey sman
Im going to have to agree with both the sixerfan and yankeefan on this one. The league setup is similar to a league I currently play in, and I'm not the biggest fan of it. Of the 8 batting categories, at least 5 of them cater toward players with speed and who bat for the average (R, H, SB, 3B and AVG). Although Dunn and Rodriquez are enticing options, the kind of player who fits perfectly in this league setup is Cargo if he can snap out of his slump. Good luck in your decision

D
dgrogs
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby sman79 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I was leaning to no anyway. The other owner just did a different deal involving A-Rod anyway so the trade is no longer an option.
sman79
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions