What to expect from Furcal?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What to expect from Furcal??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to expect from Furcal??

Postby Warpigs » Fri May 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Rafael Furcal was a popular drop in many leagues after he broke his thumb last month. Now, he's getting closer to returning, possibly back by the end of May according to the new Rotoworld blurb:

Rafael Furcal (thumb) is close to being able to resume baseball-related activities.Furcal has been out since April 12 with a broken thumb. "It's starting to feel much better," and on Monday "we've got three weeks [since the injury] and we can start, maybe, seeing what we can do," Furcal said. "Getting close to being able to start doing some baseball activities, and we'll see where we get to go from there," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "He's walked around showing me he can move [the thumb] and it's not hurting him." If all goes well, Furcal should be back by the end of the month.
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/2960/rafael-furcal

So, what should be expect from him the rest of the way? Will he produce as a top-10 shortstop the rest of the way, or is he past being serviceable in most league formats??
Warpigs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: What to expect from Furcal??

Postby hot4tx » Mon May 09, 2011 3:24 pm

He'll give you what you thought he would before the injury. A hand/wrist/arm injury would scare me from a power hitter, but that's not Furcal's game anyway. I think he'll be a fringe top-10 SS the rest of the way when he's healthy. He can still hit .280+ for you with good runs and steals. When healthy. That "when healthy" is the recurring theme with him, as I figure he'll likely be on the DL at least one other time this year.

In my HTH he'll likely platoon with Lowrie at SS depending on what stats I need, matchups, and who's hot.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thejusman1 » Mon May 09, 2011 3:53 pm

Honestly? I expect another injury. :~(
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby superjags99 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:28 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Honestly? I expect another injury. :~(

And another retirement announcement right after it happens, lol.
superjags99
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jpbusta » Mon May 09, 2011 7:32 pm

He better produce some runs and sbs for me. Since he's hit the DL, I've been forced to use Agonzalez and me no likey. :-P
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 pm

hot4tx wrote:He'll give you what you thought he would before the injury. A hand/wrist/arm injury would scare me from a power hitter, but that's not Furcal's game anyway. I think he'll be a fringe top-10 SS the rest of the way when he's healthy. He can still hit .280+ for you with good runs and steals. When healthy. That "when healthy" is the recurring theme with him, as I figure he'll likely be on the DL at least one other time this year.

In my HTH he'll likely platoon with Lowrie at SS depending on what stats I need, matchups, and who's hot.

This is pretty good. I'll agree that he's probably a borderline-top-10 guy, when he's actually healthy. I'm guessing he'll still lead off in LA? Coming off of the hand injury, the average might come down a bit. I'd say he hits maybe .275ish with maybe 15-20 steals rest of the way if he stays healthy. Should be ok in the runs department too. But his health's a big if. I would platoon him with another low SS (maybe an Escoobar type) if possible. Lowrie's an ideal guy since he has such wide left/right splits...
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby thejusman1 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:18 pm

thejusman1 wrote:Honestly? I expect another injury. :~(

I hate when I'm right.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers