Hosmerpalooza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hosmerpalooza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri May 06, 2011 8:05 am

Razzball.com blog says Hosmer will have these numbers the rest of the season..
.280 AVG, 17 HR, 6 SB
lets use that as the over/under. so higher or lower or right about there the rest of the season?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy Expert
Posts: 4987
(Past Year: 514)
Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby J35J » Fri May 06, 2011 8:33 am

SpecialFNK wrote:Razzball.com blog says Hosmer will have these numbers the rest of the season..
.280 AVG, 17 HR, 6 SB
lets use that as the over/under. so higher or lower or right about there the rest of the season?


I'd be shocked if he hit 17 hr. I'd put the over under on 12 personally. The other numbers look fine.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 10464
(Past Year: 620)
Joined: 26 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby Tavish » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 am

thecrownjewels wrote:What was Dayton Moore supposed to say? Kila has 3 weeks to produce and if Hosmer hits AAA pitching he'll be up immediately? Again, this was an easy call. Keep in mind that I was originally responding to a statement that said Hosmer's likelihood of getting the call this year was minute...if you guys need some info regarding the Royals prospects and their chances to crack the major league roster, feel free to shoot me a PM (there will be a lot of wondering for the next few years).

I don't think it should have been an easy decision at all. In my mind, absolutely the only reason to make this move right now is that Moore feels the Royals have an outside shot at the playoffs. That's giving him plenty of room to work with to, the Royals don't need a real good or even a 50/50 chance, but something somewhat plausible. Without that then this could turn into a $10m mistake for a little more than a month of service time.

Moore has never really been much of a gambler when it comes to drafting, to trades, or to free agents. That is one reason no one really expected him to be this aggressive with Hosmer's promotion. He is gambling that Frenchy, Betemit, and Gordon are all .800+ OPS guys and that this extremely young bullpen can continue to save the collective butts of the rotation daily without breaking down at some point. The payoff is huge if he is right, but it is hard to realistically believe that a team with 5 below average SP can sustain a .500 record even in the weak AL Central.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11066
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby Tavish » Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 am

One more interesting side-note to the call-up will be interleague games with no DH. It looks pretty apparent the Royals want almost nothing to do with Butler at 1B so if Hosmer can hold his own at the plate the team has a tough choice to make. Both may lose time if they go with a R/L platoon during that stretch.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11066
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri May 06, 2011 10:15 am

first of all...

SpecialFNK wrote:Razzball.com blog says Hosmer will have these numbers the rest of the season..
.280 AVG, 17 HR, 6 SB
lets use that as the over/under. so higher or lower or right about there the rest of the season?


if we can get an OPS close to .900 to go with that, then :-L

2nd.. since they called him up right now, which I am very surprised about, I would guess that the Royals are putting the Longoria plan in place. Thety probably have a great deal of confidence in him. I would not be surprised to hear about him signing a long-term contract within a month.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3827
(Past Year: 405)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby Tavish » Fri May 06, 2011 10:21 am

lastingsgriller wrote:2nd.. since they called him up right now, which I am very surprised about, I would guess that the Royals are putting the Longoria plan in place. Thety probably have a great deal of confidence in him. I would not be surprised to hear about him signing a long-term contract within a month.

Sounds great, but Hosmer has Boras as an agent. Not sure anyone will get over on Boras like the Rays did with Longoria.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11066
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

Tavish wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:2nd.. since they called him up right now, which I am very surprised about, I would guess that the Royals are putting the Longoria plan in place. Thety probably have a great deal of confidence in him. I would not be surprised to hear about him signing a long-term contract within a month.

Sounds great, but Hosmer has Boras as an agent. Not sure anyone will get over on Boras like the Rays did with Longoria.


well.. I don't know that the rays necessarily got over on Longoria. In hindsight it appears to be a pretty good deal. But that was an awfully big and long contract to give someone before they saw him have a major-league at-bat.



edit: typing is a challenge
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 3827
(Past Year: 405)
Joined: 21 Jan 2009
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: ..skipping the light fandango.

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby k.k. » Fri May 06, 2011 10:37 am

So, with Hosmer officially up, and Butler entrenched at DH, what happens with Betemit, Aviles and Getz? Who is going to get the most consistent playing time?
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 768
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 06, 2011 10:40 am

Tavish wrote:
thecrownjewels wrote:What was Dayton Moore supposed to say? Kila has 3 weeks to produce and if Hosmer hits AAA pitching he'll be up immediately? Again, this was an easy call. Keep in mind that I was originally responding to a statement that said Hosmer's likelihood of getting the call this year was minute...if you guys need some info regarding the Royals prospects and their chances to crack the major league roster, feel free to shoot me a PM (there will be a lot of wondering for the next few years).

I don't think it should have been an easy decision at all. In my mind, absolutely the only reason to make this move right now is that Moore feels the Royals have an outside shot at the playoffs. That's giving him plenty of room to work with to, the Royals don't need a real good or even a 50/50 chance, but something somewhat plausible. Without that then this could turn into a $10m mistake for a little more than a month of service time.

Moore has never really been much of a gambler when it comes to drafting, to trades, or to free agents. That is one reason no one really expected him to be this aggressive with Hosmer's promotion. He is gambling that Frenchy, Betemit, and Gordon are all .800+ OPS guys and that this extremely young bullpen can continue to save the collective butts of the rotation daily without breaking down at some point. The payoff is huge if he is right, but it is hard to realistically believe that a team with 5 below average SP can sustain a .500 record even in the weak AL Central.

If it's really dollars and cents here, it's likely the Royals will at least benefit in the short term from the added excitement in higher ticket sales and other areas of revenue?

Either way, I agree Moore had to makes this move. The fact that even he did shows you the little choice he had - winning team (first time in ages), struggling Kila and crazy hot Hosmer in AAA.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 3262
(Past Year: 159)
Joined: 11 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Basketball
Location: Hank Aaron's backyard

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby Tavish » Fri May 06, 2011 10:43 am

k.k. wrote:So, with Hosmer officially up, and Butler entrenched at DH, what happens with Betemit, Aviles and Getz? Who is going to get the most consistent playing time?

The rotation should be similar to what it is now, nothing really has changed other than Hosmer instead of Kila. Getz will likely be the odd man out most of the time with Aviles at 2B and Betemit at 3rd.
Image

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
Posts: 11066
(Past Year: 70)
Joined: 3 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: annagz4, BALCO All-Stars, crystalje60, HotRephoantee and 11 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Sunday, Apr. 20
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Toronto at Cleveland
(1:05 pm)
LA Angels at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Seattle at Miami
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Atlanta at NY Mets
(1:10 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(1:35 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(1:35 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(1:40 pm)
indoors
Minnesota at Kansas City
(2:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(3:05 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(4:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(4:10 pm)
Arizona at LA Dodgers
(4:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(4:10 pm)
Baltimore at Boston
(7:05 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact