Hosmerpalooza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hosmerpalooza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby BigRy » Thu May 05, 2011 9:06 pm

StealingHome wrote:So, he lands on the Yahoo waiver wire tomorrow? And normal WW priority rules apply at that point? I forgot how this works with Yahoo.

He is available in yahoo right now. I picked him up and added him to my roster full of underachieving bats..maybe he will provide a wake up call for the rest of my team ;-D
BigRy
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu May 05, 2011 9:10 pm

thecrownjewels wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Whoever that dude who was saying he was definitely coming up soon should be arriving any minute to pat himself on the back :-b

The only reason I felt compelled to say something in that thread is because the information regarding Hosmer was way off

I'm not sure how it was way off...we weren't saying anything that we just made up, everything we said has been said over and over from the front office over the last few years. Too be honest I'm completely shocked he's up right now.

With that said, glad to see him up....the AL Central is terrible and is definately in play even though we'll also regress back as well....should be fun to watch though.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 621)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu May 05, 2011 9:14 pm

BigRy wrote:
StealingHome wrote:So, he lands on the Yahoo waiver wire tomorrow? And normal WW priority rules apply at that point? I forgot how this works with Yahoo.

He is available in yahoo right now. I picked him up and added him to my roster full of underachieving bats..maybe he will provide a wake up call for the rest of my team ;-D

In Yahoo, there is a commissioner setting that says something like "make minor league players available:"

with one option that is "when they are added to the database" and another that is "as soon as they are called up."

Or something to that effect. If he doesn't appear available in your league right now, he will be added soon and will go through the waiver process. The default leagues have him available now.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 248)

Postby Tavish » Thu May 05, 2011 9:23 pm

J35J wrote:
thecrownjewels wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Whoever that dude who was saying he was definitely coming up soon should be arriving any minute to pat himself on the back :-b

The only reason I felt compelled to say something in that thread is because the information regarding Hosmer was way off

I'm not sure how it was way off...we weren't saying anything that we just made up, everything we said has been said over and over from the front office over the last few years. Too be honest I'm completely shocked he's up right now.

Not only the last few years, even a couple weeks ago Moore was pretty solid in saying that he felt a month wasn't nearly long enough to either sink Kila or have Hosmer force his hand. I can't help but think that the continuing struggles of the Twins / ChiSox is playing a major role in this. If the thought process is focused around trying to see what kind of push can be made this season by using prospects to fill in gaps then Davies had better be on a "1 bad start" leash and Duffy should have a standing plane reservation.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby kab21 » Thu May 05, 2011 9:32 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
BigRy wrote:

In Yahoo, there is a commissioner setting that says something like "make minor league players available:"

with one option that is "when they are added to the database" and another that is "as soon as they are called up."

Or something to that effect. If he doesn't appear available in your league right now, he will be added soon and will go through the waiver process. The default leagues have him available now.

There's also a setting that locks the FA moves if your players team (that you are dropping) has already started playing that day. And you can't pick up players until Yahoo! begins the next day at 3am (or so). So in those leagues a night owl is going to win Hosmer by constantly refreshing the league until it's Friday on Yahoo! I hated this setting when I was traveling in Asia and only getting 1 hr of internet use every couple of days and couldn't make any add/drops. Right now Hosmer is still sitting in FA and I unfortunately used up all of my roster moves already this week. But I would have to cut Geo Soto (my extra hitter) to pick him up so it's not a huge loss since I think he'll struggle like most young players do.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 523)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 pm

kab21 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
BigRy wrote:

There's also a setting that locks the FA moves if your players team (that you are dropping) has already started playing that day. And you can't pick up players until Yahoo! begins the next day at 3am (or so). So in those leagues a night owl is going to win Hosmer by constantly refreshing the league until it's Friday on Yahoo! I hated this setting when I was traveling in Asia and only getting 1 hr of internet use every couple of days and couldn't make any add/drops. Right now Hosmer is still sitting in FA and I unfortunately used up all of my roster moves already this week. But I would have to cut Geo Soto (my extra hitter) to pick him up so it's not a huge loss since I think he'll struggle like most young players do.

I use the latter setting you're talking about. Yes it locks those players who are already in your lineup, but on the plus side, you can start a player the same day you add them. It can be frustrating when you can't execute your FA pickups until 3 AM if the player you wanted to drop was in your active lineup, but the same day transactions are much better, all things considered IMHO.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 248)

Postby Havok1517 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:36 am

Tavish wrote:
ABA316 wrote:I believe on ESPN they said Kila was getting sent down for the callup.

Kila is getting optioned, Kendall is going to 60 day DL to make room on the 40 man roster.

I think the Kila experiment is officially over.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 109)

Postby JHubRoyals » Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 am

He should start the year batting 7th which takes some pressure off, but doesn't add much protection (Treanor/Pena and then Escobar).

I've see him play live a few times and have to say that he has a very good looking swing. Great eye, good glove, very athletic, smart kid. If you were to go to a lab and create an athletic 1B, he might be what you end up with. I've always said Will Clark and Mark Teixera are some ceiling comparisons. But for this year I would not be surprised if he puts up Jason Heyward rookie numbers in 500 at bats (minus 5 SB, +10 points of AVG).

Pretty exciting time to be a Royals fan. Duffy, Montgomery, Moose, Lough and some decent relievers are all next.
JHubRoyals
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thecrownjewels » Fri May 06, 2011 1:54 am

Tavish wrote:
J35J wrote:
thecrownjewels wrote:

Not only the last few years, even a couple weeks ago Moore was pretty solid in saying that he felt a month wasn't nearly long enough to either sink Kila or have Hosmer force his hand. I can't help but think that the continuing struggles of the Twins / ChiSox is playing a major role in this. If the thought process is focused around trying to see what kind of push can be made this season by using prospects to fill in gaps then Davies had better be on a "1 bad start" leash and Duffy should have a standing plane reservation.

There really isn't a whole lot to draw from when referencing the Royals front office decisions regarding blue chip prospects. Keep in mind Dayton is a Braves disciple and has said repeatedly the player will dictate when a promotion is called for (I think of Andruw Jones and more recently Jason Heyward). Given that the extra year was out of play it became an easy decision.

What was Dayton Moore supposed to say? Kila has 3 weeks to produce and if Hosmer hits AAA pitching he'll be up immediately? Again, this was an easy call. Keep in mind that I was originally responding to a statement that said Hosmer's likelihood of getting the call this year was minute...if you guys need some info regarding the Royals prospects and their chances to crack the major league roster, feel free to shoot me a PM (there will be a lot of wondering for the next few years).

This decision was based on a number of factors, not the least which being that Kila proved to be inept at 1B defensively and didn't dispaly the ability to hit at the major league level (which I did mention in the original thread.) I'm sure we can all agree that Hos is the future and Kila was merely the placeholder.

Next hype train will be Duffy. All Aboard!!!!!!!
thecrownjewels
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri May 06, 2011 7:35 am

Anthony Rizzo must be the next great 1B prospect to hit The Show. His #s are insane.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 381)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers