Hosmerpalooza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hosmerpalooza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby kab21 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:43 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:one of my first questions when I heard this was, why now. why waste a year of eligibility when the team isn't that good. I haven't been checking the standings, but the Royals are 17-14 and only 4 games back of Cleveland.. and both Minnesota and Chicago are 9 and 10.5 games back. could the Royals actually have a chance at winning this division THIS year?

You need to clarify what you mean by losing a year of eligibility because I'm not sure you know.

This does not in any way change when he'll become a FA. They would have to wait until May 2012 to delay his FA by one additional year. but by calling him up now under the assumption that he doesn't get sent back down then he will gain super 2 arb status which will allow him to go to arb one year early (4 times total). So the impact of calling him up right now is that the Royals might have to pay him 4-6M/yr (if he's a star) for the 2014 season. Yes it might end up being significant money but I think these shenanigans that teams play (delaying callups) end up costing the team in the long run. And it's possible that the Royals have a Longoria type contract in the works which reduces the issue to nothing. Or it's also rumored that there are going to be significant changes in the CBA which completely change this super 2 thing.

As far as what to expect. I have no idea. He's a great hitting prospect and he does have a lot of power despite his SSS this year (seriously neato?). but he's also 21 with limited AA/AAA experience. I expect him to have a rather lackluster year. Maybe he does imitate Braun but Braun was also from a major college program and entered the majors at 23. But I missed him in my league by 30 minutes and need him since it's deep and I've been starting the likes Dejesus, Parra, JD and Valencia in the league.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Y`s Guy » Thu May 05, 2011 7:46 pm

:,-( I wanted to announce this!!

OTH, I am excited to see Hosmer up. I have him in my #1 keeper league out of the draft. Not sure if he'll see active time as the lineup is weekly and AGon is my 1B and Carl Crawford is my UT.

I would not be shocked if Kila took the job back if he comes around in Omaha. But Hosmer now can take that torch and run. Looking forward to seeing if he does it.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 275)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby thejusman1 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:46 pm

I snagged him in both my redraft and my keeper league. For the redraft, I've been ravaged by injuries and am hurting big-time for my bats, so I had no problem dropping Matt Joyce for Hosmer's upside. For the keeper, I'm hoping he turns in a stud first year and I've got the next Pujols on my hands. I had to drop Drabek to pick him up, but it doesn't look like Drabek is ready to contribute this year until he learns better BB control, and we only keep 4 anyway.

ALL ABOARD THE HOSMER TRAIN.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 05, 2011 7:54 pm

kab21 wrote:
SpecialFNK wrote:one of my first questions when I heard this was, why now. why waste a year of eligibility when the team isn't that good. I haven't been checking the standings, but the Royals are 17-14 and only 4 games back of Cleveland.. and both Minnesota and Chicago are 9 and 10.5 games back. could the Royals actually have a chance at winning this division THIS year?

You need to clarify what you mean by losing a year of eligibility because I'm not sure you know.

This does not in any way change when he'll become a FA. They would have to wait until May 2012 to delay his FA by one additional year. but by calling him up now under the assumption that he doesn't get sent back down then he will gain super 2 arb status which will allow him to go to arb one year early (4 times total). So the impact of calling him up right now is that the Royals might have to pay him 4-6M/yr (if he's a star) for the 2014 season. Yes it might end up being significant money but I think these shenanigans that teams play (delaying callups) end up costing the team in the long run. And it's possible that the Royals have a Longoria type contract in the works which reduces the issue to nothing. Or it's also rumored that there are going to be significant changes in the CBA which completely change this super 2 thing.

As far as what to expect. I have no idea. He's a great hitting prospect and he does have a lot of power despite his SSS this year (seriously neato?). but he's also 21 with limited AA/AAA experience. I expect him to have a rather lackluster year. Maybe he does imitate Braun but Braun was also from a major college program and entered the majors at 23. But I missed him in my league by 30 minutes and need him since it's deep and I've been starting the likes Dejesus, Parra, JD and Valencia in the league.

I had no idea how all the financial stuff works. I have just seen multiple times people say that prospects are likely to going to have to wait until June 1st to get called up. I assumed it was something to do with team control.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Thu May 05, 2011 8:04 pm

It's not another year of control, it's starting arb a year early. Which could easily cost an additional $12M+. That's hardly insignificant. Ask the Giants if they wish they waited the extra couple weeks for Lincecum.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby kab21 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:09 pm

Skin Blues wrote:It's not another year of control, it's starting arb a year early. Which could easily cost an additional $12M+. That's hardly insignificant. Ask the Giants if they wish they waited the extra couple weeks for Lincecum.

that only happens when a player becomes elite. At which point teams don't complain too much imo.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby thecrownjewels » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Whoever that dude who was saying he was definitely coming up soon should be arriving any minute to pat himself on the back :-b

The only reason I felt compelled to say something in that thread is because the information regarding Hosmer was way off and I knew it being that the Royals are my team (and I asked Dayton Moore a question regarding this issue at a luncheon). Hosmer was starting to get pitched around on a regular basis and it didn't make any sense for Moore to leave him in a league that he would be walking in all summer. He was a man amongst boys in AAA. The fact that Moore brought him up today means that the Royals think that they have an outside shot to compete THIS YEAR. For those of you wondering about Duffy and Monty, we are merely weeks away from BOTH of them making their Big League debuts.

I hope that guy that compared Hosmer to Loney was joking. If not, he clearly has not seen Hosmer play. Hosmer is going to rake and will probably hit 7th to begin with. ;-D
thecrownjewels
College Coach
College Coach

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby juliown1028 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:39 pm

Could we be looking at the the best offensive rookie since Ryan Braun?!?!

I hope so because I just added him to my team :-D
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ABA316 » Thu May 05, 2011 8:58 pm

I believe on ESPN they said Kila was getting sent down for the callup.
ABA316
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Tavish » Thu May 05, 2011 9:01 pm

ABA316 wrote:I believe on ESPN they said Kila was getting sent down for the callup.

Kila is getting optioned, Kendall is going to 60 day DL to make room on the 40 man roster.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers