Hosmerpalooza - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Hosmerpalooza

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Hosmer Up

Postby B-Chad » Thu May 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Only 3 HR and a .143 ISO from a first baseman in 118 AAA PA so far? Nice AVG but he's looking an awful lot like James Loney right now.

I would hold off on that comp, Loney's biggest question was always his power. Baseball America rates Hosmer's power tool as a 65 on the 20-80 scale. I do think his power will come in the form of doubles in the short term (i.e. this year, perhaps next). Keep in mind that he saw his power take a huge jump when he moved from Hi-A to double-A last year, so it's not that he doesn't have power, it's likely a matter of him not lofting the ball. The thing that I find most promising for him succeeding this year, since having LASIK surgery before last year, his adjustment to level of competition has been seamless at every stop. His walk rate has followed him, and he continues to sport a low strikeout rate as well. I think a fair comp for short term expectations should he make a smooth transition is teammate Billy Butler.
Image]
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HighHeater » Thu May 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Neato Torpedo wrote:Only 3 HR and a .143 ISO from a first baseman in 118 AAA PA so far? Nice AVG but he's looking an awful lot like James Loney right now.

Thats a SSS compared to what he did last year btw... This kid is not James Loney, he has a very comparable *ceiling* to Joey Votto... however there will be adjustment periods to make.

If someone were to draw up the proto-type 1B both in skill and physicaly it would be Eric Hosmer imo
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 05, 2011 6:45 pm

what are the projections for the rest of the season?
what is his power potential?
is this someone who could come up and Ryan Braun the league?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 514)

Postby Super Manny » Thu May 05, 2011 6:48 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
Millhouse wrote:For those wondering about why him and not Moustakas, figure they had a need to fill with Kila not producing, and Betemit is producing at 3B (where Mous plays). But I'm sure some KC homers would know more...

It seemed like people were considering Hosmer a better or more major league ready prospect than Moustakas at last check. I think this was per ESPN's Jason Grey.

From Today's "Minors" blog post, in the Top 11 for '11 section, Grey lists Hosmer at number 1, Moustakas is at number 5.
Link: http://insider.espn.go.com/sports/fanta ... id=6486059

Jason Grey wrote:1. Eric Hosmer, 1B, Royals: Service-time concerns are the only thing keeping the best first-base prospect in the minors, because his bat is ready. He has had a fantastic approach at the plate while hitting an unreal .439 at Triple-A (in 26 games), and if anything I came away even more impressed with him after watching him this week at Albuquerque. For more detail, check out the
Hosmer profile I wrote last November (when he was in the Arizona Fall League).

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu May 05, 2011 6:57 pm

one of my first questions when I heard this was, why now. why waste a year of eligibility when the team isn't that good. I haven't been checking the standings, but the Royals are 17-14 and only 4 games back of Cleveland.. and both Minnesota and Chicago are 9 and 10.5 games back. could the Royals actually have a chance at winning this division THIS year?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 514)

Postby Tavish » Thu May 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Really excited to see how Hosmer fares, he gets a tough first game against Gio. If he can produce then suddenly the Royals have an actual major league 2-7 lineup for the first time in a very long time. Aviles, Gordon, Butler, Frenchy, Hosmer, Betemit. Next is to get Monty and Duffy up...

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Nerfherders » Thu May 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Wow already gone in all of my leagues. Picked up about 70 minutes ago in the only league he was actually available before today.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 10)

Postby urbanbreez » Thu May 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Isn't this exactly what they said about Chris Davis? What are his day/night splits? I don't care, picked him up and dropped Bay just to join this thread.
urbanbreez
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby HighHeater » Thu May 05, 2011 7:32 pm

urbanbreez wrote:Isn't this exactly what they said about Chris Davis? What are his day/night splits? I don't care, picked him up and dropped Bay just to join this thread.

Hosmer has this thing called strike zone judgement.... something Chris Davis wishes he had
HighHeater
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 23)

Postby StealingHome » Thu May 05, 2011 7:34 pm

So, he lands on the Yahoo waiver wire tomorrow? And normal WW priority rules apply at that point? I forgot how this works with Yahoo.
Last edited by StealingHome on Thu May 05, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers