Use #1 waiver pick on Aaron Hill in 14-team league WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Use #1 waiver pick on Aaron Hill in 14-team league WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Use #1 waiver pick on Aaron Hill in 14-team league WHIR

Postby bobnerns » Thu May 05, 2011 2:57 pm

My league is 14-team, 25-man roster, 5x5 H2H, non-keeper. Last year, we only had 10 teams and there were plenty of really bad drops by teams unwilling to wait out either slumps or injuries. This year seems a bit different since there are far fewer free agents, but Chase Utley was already dropped at the beginning of the year, so anything is possible I suppose.

Aaron Hill was just dropped which further cements the fact that my league has dumb people in it (since Hill should be back in a few days). I have the #1 waiver spot.

Right now, my team has Brandon Phillips at 2B and Freddy Sanchez at 2B/SS. I have Michael Cuddyer who only needs 3 more appearances at 2B to get eligibility.

Should I pick him up? He would definitely play in my lineup over Sanchez, but will he be good enough to use the top pick on?

Leave your link.
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Use #1 waiver pick on Aaron Hill in 14-team league WHIR

Postby BalancedMan » Thu May 05, 2011 3:39 pm

Hard to know without more details (i.e. how many players actual play vs. bench spots). I find that I hardly ever use my waiver in fantasy sports because I don't want the struggling guy that someone is dropped, but the hot player who's prospecting upward, and is therefore a free agent I can just grab.

Hill was a stud two years ago, struggled mightily last year and I'll think he'll be somewhere in between. Yahoo had him ranked ~106 preseason. In a league as deep as yours, if you think he'll regain some sense of form hitting in front of Jose Bautista then I think you use it and take a chance. He could be a top 100 player here on out and your league is deep enough to warrant using a waiver on it.

I'm in an 8-team league and have Yunel Escobar at my MI spot and Hill in in FA...I'm thinking about swapping them out myself.
BalancedMan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BiGAnT » Thu May 05, 2011 4:22 pm

It very much depends on who else is available, but seeing that there are 14 teams in your league it definitely may be worth it, AND you could even use him as a trade-piece if anyone else finds themselves in need of a 2B down the line, and if not you have a player who can definitely produce (especially with that lineup). I would still be somewhat hesitant with the injury, but I guess its worth giving a shot. Good luck and thanks for the help wit mine!!
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Zhangman1 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Hill looked like he was turning it around before he got hurt so he's def worth rostering. The question is whether you think a solid player more valuable to your team will be dropped at some point. Does your league have someone w/ little patience? if u think a better player will be dropped then wait. otherwise i think hill can either help your team or be a solid trade chip.

---
help w/ mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=429637
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby mhuhn23 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Got to love leagues with impatient players. Ryan Zimmerman was dropped in mine (a keeper league), I had the 12th spot on the wire, picked him up thinking somebody before me would anyway, checked yesterday morning and he was on my team :-°

With that said, if you think that in a deep league Hill will be useful, it should be worth it. The Jays did say he will not run as much (he was leading the team with 6 SB), so that is something to factor also. As somebody else said, if you think somebody else will make a bad drop at some point, then hang onto the #1 and pick him up if he clears. That's probably how I'd go about it.
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions