yahoo winners roto...as good a team as I think? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

yahoo winners roto...as good a team as I think?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

yahoo winners roto...as good a team as I think?

Postby willblake » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:14 am

This is my draft for Yahoo! winners roto. Standard 5x5, of course.
I was a bit shocked to pick up Vlad with the 23rd pick. I think the offense is stacked. Was thinking about trying to move Teixeira for a good SP or pick up some middle relief for extra Ks.

A good team? What do you think?

C Leiberthal
1B Pujols
2B B.Roberts
3B Blalock
SS Renteria
OF Vlad
OF Vernon
OF Rocco
UTIL Patterson
BN Teixeira
BN Cintron

SP Millwood
SP Beckett
RP Smoltz
RP Isringhausen
P Rhodes
P Riske
P Chacon
BN Webb
BN Myers
BN O. Perez (LA)
willblake
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby willblake » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:32 am

little help?
willblake
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MookieNJ » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:43 am

How many teams are in your league?

Your starting pitching is a little thin, but by the end of the season Beckett could be a top 5 starter, so it may turn out to be just fine! Once I know how many teams are in your league, I'll have a better idea of what you're up against ...
-Mark

Please rate my team here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103801
MookieNJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby savvy_stu » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:43 am

I think that you could definately stand an upgrade at SP. It's not that you don't have depth(Webb, Beckett, Myers Perez), but with a team as solid as yours, I think that SP may be your biggest weakness. So, I think with your closer surplus, there has to be a team or two in your league in need of some help in that category. So - package one of them with Millwood for a guy like Wood, Vazquez, or Oswalt if you can.
savvy_stu
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby willblake » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:51 am

MookieNJ wrote:How many teams are in your league?

12 teams

Packaging Millwood/closer is a great idea. In fact, I was half-hoping he'd be trade bait when I drafted him, even though he was the first pitcher I took. The problem is that I have a serious closer fetish and I struggle to part with any of them. I'm a firm believer that your closers make or break your team. Maybe Riske will turn some heads since his name is hot right now.
willblake
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MookieNJ » Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:11 pm

5 closers in a 12 team league is more than enough. Most teams will only have 2 or 3 closers, so you should be able to dominate the saves department with 5, and I'm sure you'd win 90% of the time with only 4. Find the guy who needs a closer and trade one for a starter. If nobody bites, I would stand pat, because your team looks pretty good. You certainly don't have a lot of starters because of your closer fetish, but I'm pretty high on most of the starters you did draft.

I can't believe Beckett wasn't the first starter you drafted and you still got him. I just thought after the World Series last year Beckett would still be riding the hype, but I guess it died down a bit and people forgot.

I got Vlad with the 14th pick in my 12 team league, and I was shocked to get him there :).
-Mark

Please rate my team here:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103801
MookieNJ
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:22 pm

MookieNJ wrote:5 closers in a 12 team league is more than enough. Most teams will only have 2 or 3 closers, so you should be able to dominate the saves department with 5, and I'm sure you'd win 90% of the time with only 4. Find the guy who needs a closer and trade one for a starter. If nobody bites, I would stand pat, because your team looks pretty good. You certainly don't have a lot of starters because of your closer fetish, but I'm pretty high on most of the starters you did draft.

I can't believe Beckett wasn't the first starter you drafted and you still got him. I just thought after the World Series last year Beckett would still be riding the hype, but I guess it died down a bit and people forgot.

I got Vlad with the 14th pick in my 12 team league, and I was shocked to get him there :).

As great as Beckett is, I still consider him an injury risk. Still, I love him and his high K/IP ratio.
I have found that I can totally dominate the Saves category with extra closers and then trade away one or two before the deadline to a team struggling in that category that I know won't be a threat to contend with me for the title...yes, I assume to be at least close to winning...A guy with 30+ saves at the end of July can bring HUGE SP's or whatever I might need to my team for the stretch. It's a strategy that lots of guys use for Steals, I just use it for Saves instead. Closers can also be studs in ERA and WHIP...there's no rule that you have to use every available IP in the season, you know? We'll see...for once, I really made it through a draft sticking to a pre-concieved strategy, one that I've been working on for a number of seasons.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team