THE YEAR OF THE PITCHER...Don't Trade for Top Tier Pitchers? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

THE YEAR OF THE PITCHER...Don't Trade for Top Tier Pitchers?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

THE YEAR OF THE PITCHER...Don't Trade for Top Tier Pitchers?

Postby acg3232 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm

Should I trade Cain/Axford for LINCECUM??? (14 team non-keeper 5x5 roto)

I just traded Kimbrel for Morrow because I had 4 closers, so my pitching stats in Roto League are little down. I should be able to make up ground. I built a small lead in Saves while having 4 closers, I'm in 2nd place, but ahead of the 3rd place team by 6 saves. Can I afford to go down to 2 closers, and would it be worth the saves risk? Is the difference between Lincy and Cain really that much?

C-Posada
1b-Fielder
2b- Figgins
3b- Beltre
SS- Lowrie
OF- Braun, J.Bautista, Heyward, Gardner
UTL - LScott, DMurphy
SP's- Cain, Marcum, Morrow, Kuroda, Ed Jax,
RP's - Axford, CPerez, RMadson/Contreras
1 Bench Spot - A.Harang

Do you trust the Madson/Contreras situation? Contreras looked sharp before, Madson has looked sharp this season, so I'd assume one of them will get the job. Btw Kuo is in the Free Agents, so he could be a guy to snag the next job.

Thanks. WHIR
acg3232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: THE YEAR OF THE PITCHER...Don't Trade for Top Tier Pitch

Postby brener » Wed May 04, 2011 10:11 pm

It is an upgrade from Cain to Lincy but unless there are other options on the waiver wire such as Santos or Sanchez for STL i would probably pass. You have a pretty decent rotation for a 14 team league. The Morrow trade was really good as it improved your rotation dramatically. A lead of 6 saves can evaporate pretty quickly depending on who the other guy has. Right now you have 2 2nd tier closers and a garbage combo in Contreras and Madson. That should be good enough for 2nd or 3rd but since you dont have a lockdown closer to keep you afloat if anything happens to one of them it would be risky to go with just Perez and Madson/Contreras
brener
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby acg3232 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:32 pm

That's kind of my thoughts. I'm thinking, now that I got Morrow my pitching (starting and closing) might be balanced enough.
acg3232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby tacobender44 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:54 am

I agree, i think you've got a good rotation and don't think it's worth losing a closer for Lincy. You should keep your eye on Axford though, he's been shaky so far
tacobender44
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acg3232 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:26 am

^ Agreed. Thanks for your help. Ya, Ax was looking solid for a while, gave up a run again tonight. Back to shakey now
acg3232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby T bleep O » Thu May 05, 2011 1:59 am

I would do it it I were you. Axford hasn't been as dominant this year as last. Cain is great but Lincy can anchor you staff better. But keep in mind I feel like there are still plenty of closer jobs up in the air (i.e. LAD, HOU, STL, CWS) and I would sacrifice a decent, but not great, closer in Axford to upgrade to Lincy and one of many closers in committees.
Larry - "Who's this? Who are you?"
Crash Davis - "I'm the player to be named later."
T bleep O
College Coach
College Coach

Postby acg3232 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:11 am

That's the other thing goin throw my mind right now. Ax has been shakey, and I know theres those other closer jobs up in the air. If I can get one of them, great, if I can't - I should be sitting pretty in 9 of the 10 categories (well at least 8 - if Gardner and Figgins don't get back to stealing bases - little bit worried about my batting avg, but if I have to I should be able to trade power for average). I'm first in my league in power by 10 HRs
acg3232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acg3232 » Thu May 05, 2011 12:27 pm

bump....i'll help you guys out as well
acg3232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acg3232 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:57 pm

bump'dy bump bump
acg3232
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby T bleep O » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

acg3232 wrote:That's the other thing goin throw my mind right now. Ax has been shakey, and I know theres those other closer jobs up in the air. If I can get one of them, great, if I can't - I should be sitting pretty in 9 of the 10 categories (well at least 8 - if Gardner and Figgins don't get back to stealing bases - little bit worried about my batting avg, but if I have to I should be able to trade power for average). I'm first in my league in power by 10 HRs

Ya I agree. I traded all 3 of my closers that I drafted (Nathan, Franklin, Putz) because people will over pay for them in my opinion. 3 closers gone and I still own Walden, Santos, Boggs and Salas (half the STL situation) all 4 picked up and I feel great for the commodities I got in return for 3 average closers, 2 of which aren't closing (Nathan, Franklin)
Larry - "Who's this? Who are you?"
Crash Davis - "I'm the player to be named later."
T bleep O
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions