pick 2: Masterson, Norris, Beachy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

pick 2: Masterson, Norris, Beachy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pick 2: Masterson, Norris, Beachy

Postby cs3 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 am

Easy question... which 2 starting pitchers do you want on your H2H team. standard 5x5 cats + QS

Justin Masterson
Bud Norris
Brandon Beachy

and more importantly, why?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: pick 2: Masterson, Norris, Beachy

Postby sixer03fan » Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am

I definitely go Bud Norris, then it's close between Beachy and Masterson. Honestly it could go either way.

Bud Norris has a ridiculous strike out rate that is pretty much unmatched by any starting pitcher right now. He's starting to put together some real quality starts now, so I think he's starting to harness that potential and get into a zone. A lot of people are calling him this year's Brandon Morrow, and if you recall, Morrow was pretty damn good the second half of last season.

Beachy/Masterson... Well, Masterson has always had solid potential, but we saw what he did in a full season last year - nothing special. He's off to a great start, but I think his W-L record is deceiving. I don't think he will keep it up at this pace. Beachy has more K potential than Masterson and is on the better team. Even though Masterson is off to the better start, and might have slightly more potential than Beachy, I would give the tie breaker to Beachy because I like strike out guys, he's on the better team, and he's pitching in the NL.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby smoovethug » Wed May 04, 2011 11:21 am

Norris, Beachy.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby theblemishedone » Wed May 04, 2011 11:41 am

cs3 wrote:Easy question... which 2 starting pitchers do you want on your H2H team. standard 5x5 cats + QS

Justin Masterson
Bud Norris
Brandon Beachy

and more importantly, why?

Hmm...this is a good one.

Masterson-I think this is his breakout year. Having a consistent catcher behind the plate definitely helps one's confidence. It's no coincidence that he is pitching as well as he is. I picked him up as a f/a and he has rewarded me since. I know he is due for a loss sooner or later, but his offense is capable of getting him the "W".

Norris-How I missed this guy on the f/a market (he was a f/a until April 29) still boggles my mind. As much as I like him, I don't like the team he pitches for. I feel he's going to get a lot of "ND", which is a shame.

Beachy-Could be the "sleeper" this year in the Atlanta rotation Unfortunately, he'll have the same issue as Norris: a lot of "ND".

IMO, Masterson and Norris are worth grabbing. But Beachy and Masterson are a coin flip.
theblemishedone
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby k.k. » Wed May 04, 2011 12:25 pm

Beachy, Norris. Beachy has been more consistent thus far. Norris, if he can put it all together, could really be something. Masterson is certainly a decent back end piece for fantasy rosters, but doesn't have the potential that Beachy and Norris do, IMHO.
~
k.k.
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby Doc19 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:08 pm

Beachy, Norris

Both players have great K/9 rates, and I actually would choose Beachy over Norris since I am not sure Norris' new found control will last the entire season and he may become a WHIP liabilty.

Masterson has gotten off to a great start, but as with the Indians overall I dont think it will last. 2 straight years of ERA > 4.50 and WHIP > 1.45 prior to this one, it is of course possible he breaks out but I think the other 2 have bigger upside (and lesser downside).

Good Luck!

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=429547
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cs3 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the replies.
I posted this because i had Beachy and Masterson on my roster but Bud Norris has been really intriguing to me since the end of last year.

So I ended up dropping Masterson, to pick up Bud.
I dont think Masterson is going to completely collapse or anything, but i dont think he keeps his ERA under 4 the rest of the way, and the difference in K's is going to be huge between the two.
Since my starting staff is built to win the counting stats (W, QS, K), possibly at the expense of ratios, i decided it would be better to guarantee myself another high k/9 SP rather than a guy who is likely to have a much lower k rate but a better whip.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions