Commish Needs Trade Analysis - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Commish Needs Trade Analysis

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Commish Needs Trade Analysis

Postby GHC007 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:31 pm

Ive been a lurker for a long time and finally decided to post. Im commish in a 12 team, H2H, 6x6 scoring and looking for some objective advice on the most recently accepted trade. Team A trades Michael Pineda to Team B for Kevin Youkilis. Team A just lost Sandoval to the DL and currently has Hannahan as the best available FA 3b replacement, Team B has only 3 SP's on his roster and is desperate for starting help. Some of the leagues complaining about draft position (3rd round compared to 21st rd) and yada yada yada but I see it as an allowable trade. Fills a need for both teams, adequate risk/reward for both managers going forward (Pineda's been a stud, Youkilis has been bad for where he went in the draft) AND both managers agreed to the terms! Am I completely off base on my thinking here? Any help is appreciated guys. Thanks!

GHC
GHC007
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Commish Needs Trade Analysis

Postby ahcryky » Tue May 03, 2011 7:37 pm

You will find that being commissioner, if you already didn't know, can be a pain. Unless there is absolute collusion for a trade, which there doesn't seem to be any here, it fills a need for both teams. You would think that the other team might be able to get a little better SP for Youk, but like you said, he really isn't doing anything this year, so in all reality, if he was trying to trade him, he might not be able to get much more then Pineda.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KanyeBest » Tue May 03, 2011 7:37 pm

You're on base. Draft position is a stupid argument against trades. Both teams wanted to make the trade, both teams think they're improving their team = no veto. When people argue against trades like this, 9 times out of 10 it's just jealousy over the fact that they weren't the one to pull off (what they saw as) a lopsided trade.
KanyeBest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bobnerns » Tue May 03, 2011 7:49 pm

ahcryky wrote:You will find that being commissioner, if you already didn't know, can be a pain. Unless there is absolute collusion for a trade, which there doesn't seem to be any here, it fills a need for both teams. You would think that the other team might be able to get a little better SP for Youk, but like you said, he really isn't doing anything this year, so in all reality, if he was trying to trade him, he might not be able to get much more then Pineda.

KanyeBest wrote:You're on base. Draft position is a stupid argument against trades. Both teams wanted to make the trade, both teams think they're improving their team = no veto. When people argue against trades like this, 9 times out of 10 it's just jealousy over the fact that they weren't the one to pull off (what they saw as) a lopsided trade.

Man, I really wish you two were in my league. Almost everything gets vetoed for the stupidest of reasons, and KanyeBest put it perfectly by saying the arguement stems out of jealously.

As for the actual trade, in my league it would get vetoed instantly. And not just looking at the ADPs but overall talent, Youkilis is so far above Pineda (for this year at least) it's not even funny. And especially in a H2H league, what matters most is playoffs and Pineda will have been shut down for the season by the time your playoffs come around.

That being said, if the team giving up Youkilis is dumb enough to do the trade, you should let him learn the hard way. Though I'm not sure why he wouldn't try to snag a top SP instead of just a hot rookie.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=429478
bobnerns
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GHC007 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I knew I was right I just needed to hear it from an unbiased party. Ive been a commish many times in fun leagues where half the league quits a month in but this is my first time commishing a $$ league. You'd think with a league filled with friends and friends of friends you wouldnt have to deal with BS like this but guess thats the way it goes. Thanks again fellas.

GHC
GHC007
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby GHC007 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Bumpity Bump Bump
GHC007
Little League Legend
Little League Legend