Dynasty: Roberts/Parker v Gardner/Santos (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty: Roberts/Parker v Gardner/Santos (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dynasty: Roberts/Parker v Gardner/Santos (WHIR)

Postby KanyeBest » Tue May 03, 2011 5:51 pm

This is a 20-team dynasty league with a salary cap (salaries are based on real-life contracts). We count OPS and Holds as well as the normal 5x5. I know people don't want to spend a lot of time on these, so let me break it down real quick.

I give up Brett Gardner and Sergio Santos. Gardner is CF/LF eligible but I've got Ryan Braun and Drew Stubbs at those positions, so Gardner's on the bench most days. However Gardner's contract is 1-year, $1. Santos is also 1-year, $1. (Both players aren't arb-eligible yet).

I'd be getting Brian Roberts and Jarrod Parker. Parker is obviously a $1 player. Roberts is on the 2nd year of a 4 year deal. He's signed for $10 each for 2011, 2012 and 2013. I've got the salary room to spare but I don't want to take on an albatross here.

My 2B position is a black hole... ran out Orlando Hudson there last year, tried Jayson Nix till he hit the DL, now trying out Alexi Amarista and hoping the Angels give him some playing time. However I do have Jason Kipnis on the bench.

My question boils down to how people feel about Kipnis and Parker. Kipnis doesn't have a big offensive profile but he should be decent for 2B, right? Parker has huge upside but his command has been off this year.

People who know the minors, please help. It boils down to these 4 questions:

1. Does Kipnis become a decent fantasy 2B?
2. Does Jarrod Parker become a fantasy ace?
3. Can Brian Roberts give me decent production for another 2 years?
4. Is Sergio Santos the next Carlos Marmol?

I'll post my roster below in case it helps anyone. This is a complicated question and you need some minors knowledge to help me out - if you take the time on mine I'll respond in kind if you leave a link.

20-team dynasty (keep entire team year to year), 6x6 (OPS/Holds), Salary cap.

C - Miguel Montero
1B - Lance Berkman
2B - Alexi Amarista
3B - Jack Hannahan
SS - Reid Brignac
LF - Ryan Braun
CF - Drew Stubbs
RF - Nelson Cruz
UTL - Gaby Sanchez
BN - Brett Gardner
BN - Jesus Montero
BN - Brandon Belt
BN - Jason Kipnis
DL - JJ Hardy
DL - Pablo Sandoval

SP - Jon Lester
SP - Francisco Liriano
SP - Ricky Nolasco
SP - Gio Gonzalez
SP - R.A. Dickey
RP - Brandon League
RP - Sergio Santos
RP - Ryan Perry
RP - JJ Putz
RP - Tim Collins
RP - Brian Sanches
RP - Cory Lubeke
KanyeBest
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dynasty: Roberts/Parker v Gardner/Santos (WHIR)

Postby emenewe5 » Tue May 03, 2011 6:05 pm

Wow, that's a tough one. Gardner is going to score and steal bases in bunches for a few more years. I'm not ready to annoint Santos the next Marmol. Frankly, CL's are generally the last thing I trade for or worry about trading. I mean, there are always a Santos or five that pop-up during the year.

Parker's got some potential but I'm not in love with him. It really boils-down to Gardner vs Roberts to me. Gardner's in his prime and in a great situation. Is there another team (of the 20!) that is desperate for R's and SB's that might have a better/cheaper option than Roberts? You NEED a 2B...BADLY! But, Roberts will put you on the hook financially for four years and he's already on a major decline at age 33. If it wasn't for the contract, I'd be tempted to go ahead and take it. But, I think I'd rather sell-high on Santos and shop Gardner for someone cheaper and with a high ceiling at 2B.

If you just keep striking-out on a better option, I'd be "tempted" to bite the bullet based on need but I really don't love it.

(Help with my Oswalt for Dempster/Soriano question?)
emenewe5
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sigriffey » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 pm

I am not an expert on the minor leaguers you mentioned, but I would say that Roberts teases us here and there but generally is a health risk and probably not getting better any time soon. I'd be reluctant to take on a contract like that.
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)

Postby hockeytownjoe » Tue May 03, 2011 10:45 pm

I don't know my minors well, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger. Roberts has had back issues for the past...how many years? I'm more worried about him being able to play as opposed to producing. I'm going to echo the earlier statement - try shopping Gardner for a cheaper 2B with a higher ceiling. Someone on the rise with consistent playing time. Amarista might do well, but with Aybar, Callaspo, Kendrick, Trumbo, Izturis and eventually Morales when he gets back, I can't see him being anything more than a day off filler (which also echoes the fact that you DO need a 2B, I just don't think Roberts is a wise move).

Kipnis could be good...the only problem is the current team. As long as one of the Cabreras doesn't struggle/get injured, and the team is still in the running, Kipnis probably won't get called up. Even if Hannahan goes down, Chisenhall will likely get called up first. At least, that's how I see it/picture it.
hockeytownjoe
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BiGAnT » Wed May 04, 2011 3:07 am

So I'm also not that updated on the minors and anything with those players but in my opinion I think Roberts is worth it...what I've seen from him, I like the occasional bomb, the relatively decent AVG (nothing spectacular but still), the SB capability and the RBI production out of the leadoff spot...I've always thought he was a very solid option. And I buy Santos 100%. I don't want to jinx anything because I have him on my team but from what I've seen this year: his overall numbers, his junk, his speed, I mean he looks very very good right now. I definitely think he has what it takes to be the next Marmol. Now, Roberts will definitely help you for 2B since you currently have someone who isn't seeing playing time, but will losing the saves from Santos hurt you more?? It would leave you with only League, right? BUT I would think Roberts contribution would be much more significant than losing Santos, seeing that Roberts will help you in more categories. Hope this kinda helps but again, I'm sorry I don't know much about the minors, as that would help me to gauge the trade better, but from what I see I'd do it. Wish I could help out more!! And thanks on mine!
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby woowoo crew » Wed May 04, 2011 8:16 am

hockeytownjoe wrote:I don't know my minors well, but I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger. Roberts has had back issues for the past...how many years? I'm more worried about him being able to play as opposed to producing. I'm going to echo the earlier statement - try shopping Gardner for a cheaper 2B with a higher ceiling. Someone on the rise with consistent playing time. Amarista might do well, but with Aybar, Callaspo, Kendrick, Trumbo, Izturis and eventually Morales when he gets back, I can't see him being anything more than a day off filler (which also echoes the fact that you DO need a 2B, I just don't think Roberts is a wise move).

Kipnis could be good...the only problem is the current team. As long as one of the Cabreras doesn't struggle/get injured, and the team is still in the running, Kipnis probably won't get called up. Even if Hannahan goes down, Chisenhall will likely get called up first. At least, that's how I see it/picture it.

I agree with what hockeytown said. I would worry about Kipnis' playing time if he's called up. While I think Roberts can put up some decent numbers for you, his health issues concern me, especially long term. By the way, thanks for your help.
C: Gattis
1B: Abreu
2B: Utley
SS: Dee
3B: Encarnacion
UTIL: Dickerson, Chris Davis
OF: Stanton, Heyward, Polanco
BN: Arenado, Chisenhall, Blackmon, Calhoun
P: Cueto, Strasburg, Cliff Lee, Wood, Latos, Kuechel, Kluber, Arrieta, Ross
RP: Kimbrel, Uehara
woowoo crew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cypher74 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:54 am

Thanks for the help on mine...I also don't know a ton about the minor leaguers involved, but I dont love acquiring Roberts in a league where you will be stuck with him for the next two years. I'm certainly not sold on him, and Gardner is in such a good lineup, I'd probably stand pat.
Cypher74
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 14)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions