SP trade help, or stay put? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

SP trade help, or stay put? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SP trade help, or stay put? WHIR

Postby sixer03fan » Tue May 03, 2011 9:19 am

yo guys, currently I'm in a 12 team league with a pretty stacked power offense and a pitching staff that leaves a little to be desired. I'm thinking about dangling my utility player, Prince Fielder out in a trade for an elite SP. I'm also very willing to trade any of my closers or starting pitchers except for Haren, Verlander, and Bud Norris. I apologize for how broad this question is, but where do you guys think I should start in terms of looking for SP? Or should I stay put for now, my team looks fine? WHIR. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I think with the way Fielder is tearing it up right now, it would be a good chance to get an elite pitcher for him. Some deals I'm thinking about proposing are: Fielder for Cliff Lee/Ellsbury, Fielder for Hamels/Ellsbury, Fielder for Ubaldo/Lind? Something along those lines... I'd like to target a really good pitcher and then a player of decent caliber on offense to replace Fielder on offense. Do trades like these seem in the ballpark? Am I asking for too much, or not enough? Or should I not be looking to make deals right now?

Here's my line up:

3 player keeper league, daily transactions
12 team, h2h. YAHOO league.
hits, runs, hr, rbi, avg, stls
wins, k's, era, whip, k/9, saves

c. Geovany Soto
1b. Miguel Cabrera
2b. Brian Roberts
3b. Kevin Youkilis
ss. Jed Lowrie
of. Ryan Braun
of. Justin Upton
of. Mike Stanton
u. Prince Fielder

sp. Justin Verlander
sp. Dan Haren
sp. Jeremy Hellickson
sp. Wandy Rodriguez
sp. Bud Norris
sp. Ricky Nolasco
sp. Randy Wolf

rp. Mitchell Boggs
rp. Jonathon Broxton
rp. JJ Putz
rp. Brandon Lyon
rp. Frank Francisco
rp. Aroldis Chapman
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SP trade help, or stay put? WHIR

Postby ahcryky » Tue May 03, 2011 9:32 am

Not knowing other teams that you are thinking trade with and needs, if you can get either of the Lee/Ells, Hamels/Ells trades for Fielder, I would do both of them.
ahcryky
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wingman3110 » Tue May 03, 2011 10:23 am

If you can get Lee and Ellsbury for Fielder I would definitely do that...the addition of Lee to your staff would give you a complete team and then Ellsbury can slide into your utility spot and provide you with runs, sb's, and good avg
"Just be you. You is enough." - Coach K
wingman3110
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 123)

Postby BiGAnT » Tue May 03, 2011 10:43 am

I am going to agree with the previous commenters on this one...I think that either the Lee/Ellsbury or Hamels/Ellsbury (Hamels is looking pretty filthy as well) would be a solid return for Fielder and that 3rd stud pitcher would be beautiful. I just worry about Stanton keeping anything up all year long (I like him, and think he will keep it up but who knows?) and then losing Fielder might hurt a little bit BUT I definitely think you would be fine if you made the trade and then Ellsbury with the SB potential (which it looks like you may need - not sure) would be a fine UTIL player at that point since you have so much power already. Good luck! ;-D
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kaiser » Tue May 03, 2011 11:12 am

Yes, I think those are in the ballpark, although I don't think I would bite if I was on the other side. To my way of thinking, if I give up Ellsbury and Lee to acquire Fielder, the loss of Ellsbury is a significant enough blow to my offense that it mutes any positive impact that Fielder might have. Does that make sense?

In other words, I would try what you are propsing, but if it doesn't work, offer a 1-for-1 and aim for any SP outside of the top three.
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby wolfer » Tue May 03, 2011 1:27 pm

I would say definitely look into teams that have players that will get you SB just like the others on here said. Anyone like Drew Stubbs, Ellsbury, or BJ upton. Considering SB is your largest visible need as your team is a solid squad for hitting, look at the teams that have these player first to see what SP they have too. Depending on how good of a SB player you get though you might have to downgrade the pitcher your trying to get to someone who is slumping a little, such as David Price or Matt Cain or Yovani Gallardo.
Post again with a few combinations if you need input, its easier when we know the players involved
wolfer
T-Ball Trainer

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions