Floundering a bit in ravenously active money league, WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Floundering a bit in ravenously active money league, WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Floundering a bit in ravenously active money league, WHIR

Postby Relddem » Mon May 02, 2011 1:25 pm

I'm currently in 8th place in this 5x5 Yahoo 12-team roto league. The draft and wire were both incredibly difficult/active. I wasn't thrilled with my team after the draft, and I'm still not, but there are some silver linings. I feel like I have a shot to make up some ground with smart management, but its going to be delicate. Here's the roster.

C - Chris Iannetta, Hank Conger
1B - Justin Smoak
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - David Wright
SS - Jose Reyes
CI - Ty Wigginton
MI - Asdrubal Cabrera
OF - Jason Heyward, Jay Bruce, BJ Upton, Carlos Beltran, Alex Gordon
Util - Jerry Sands
BN - Carlos Pena
DL - Pablo Sandoval

SP - Cole Hamels, Francisco Liriano
RP - Matt Thornton, Jordan Walden
P - Brandon League, Brandon Morrow, Josh Beckett, Jeremy Hellickson, Jordan Zimmermann
BN - Justin Masterson, Homer Bailey
DL - Brad Lidge

Here's how I rank as of now in each cat:

R - 9
HR - 10
RBI - 6.5
SB - 11
AVG - 3

W - 4.5
SV - 5
K - 2
ERA - 3
WHIP - 5

I'd be more worried about the pitching situation if I wasn't a bit behind in IP as well (1500 IP cap, Yahoo has me projected at 1476 right now). The Sandoval injury really hurts considering my standing in average, but I'm doing quite well in power/speed. I really need some shrewd pitching pickups though. I was actually just trying to start shopping my third basemen, but that's tougher now with no Sandoval, and with such shallow benches I've needed Alex Gordon in my outfield. I just picked up Wigginton (spot starting Bartolo Colon tonight, but I felt it was more prudent long-term to hold onto Homer Bailey than Colon).

So I really need a boost in average and some pitching help and I could start making up ground pretty rapidly. Hopefully Brandon Morrow's ready to post five strong months with his typical absurd K/9, that would really help. Bailey continuing his work from the end of last year would too, he's pitching well in his rehab. And I'm praying to the closer gods (they owe me one after letting Juan Pierre botch all those plays and then letting Lillibridge save Santos against the Yanks, two actually since we drafted the day before Lidge's injury was announced) that League holds down Seattle's ninth inning, so far Aardsma seems to be obliging with how bad he's struggling in his minor league rehab.

For now, I'm going to rotate Ty's spot with Waiver pickups to try and hold me over until Pablo can come back and hopefully continue padding my average. I was thinking about picking up Daniel Murphy, his 1B,2B,OF eligibility could really free me up to sell another piece and he seems unlikely to really hurt me in any category. Specifically, I'd like to sell Asdrubal at some point. His SS eligibility is probably a bit of a value waste at MI, where I could get similar production from a guy like Murphy (albiet with less power/speed upside, but I'm pretty strong there for now), and perhaps sell him to an owner desperate for a respectable SS. No bites yet though. And no one is selling closers. The one guy with a closer surplus is towards the bottom of the rankings and is holding onto his arms to build a cushion before selling them to patch his offense.

I'm also not sure what to do with Carlos Pena. I do think he'll get hot with the weather and have a ridiculous power month or two, but HR are really the least of my concerns. The problem is, he has no trade value now. I don't think I can drop him outright, but I can't sell him right now either and he does nothing for my roster.

Anyone have any suggestions? Leave a link and I'll be happy to take a look at your team/problem/situation/dilemna.
Relddem
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team