5/1, President's Surprise Speech: Bin Laden is Dead - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

5/1, President's Surprise Speech: Bin Laden is Dead

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 5/1, President's Surprise Speech: Bin Laden is Dead

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 05, 2011 12:16 am

knapplc wrote:You guys take the cake. We're not even 48 hours away from this success and already it's devolved into partisan bickering.

I had a big, long post planned (brilliant too, but I wasn't going to mention that), but this is better than what I was going to say about Osama. To get into a partisan dispute about this is to miss the entire point.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Thu May 05, 2011 1:18 am

Neato Torpedo wrote:
jfg wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42906279/from/RSS/

I find it really strange how transparent the government is being. Obama campaigned on that, but his administration has been far from transparent up until now and this is information that you'd expect to be the most classified. Why?

Better to be transparent now and avoid conspiracy theories later, I guess.

I'm really interested to read memoirs after Obama leaves office. After 8 years of a president basically taking a backseat to his administration it feels like Obama is taking full charge. Even Clinton didn't seem as "in charge" as Obama is right now. It took little while to get there, but you can tell that he's calling the shots.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby bleach168 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:29 am

jfg wrote:
Neato Torpedo wrote:
jfg wrote:http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42906279/from/RSS/

I find it really strange how transparent the government is being. Obama campaigned on that, but his administration has been far from transparent up until now and this is information that you'd expect to be the most classified. Why?

Better to be transparent now and avoid conspiracy theories later, I guess.

I'm really interested to read memoirs after Obama leaves office. After 8 years of a president basically taking a backseat to his administration it feels like Obama is taking full charge. Even Clinton didn't seem as "in charge" as Obama is right now. It took little while to get there, but you can tell that he's calling the shots.

I like it. We need more accountability in government.

We need more transparency too. :-t
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu May 05, 2011 2:40 am

jfg wrote:That's what terrorists do, and I think it's below the most poweful country in the world to do so.

Wait........ so China killed Osama now? :-°
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 05, 2011 2:46 am

AussieDodger wrote:China
not yet little buddy, not yet. if this country continues at its current financial pace, its inevitable, but china hasn't passed us yet. there is hope.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby wrveres » Thu May 05, 2011 3:49 am

Art Vandelay wrote:
knapplc wrote:You guys take the cake. We're not even 48 hours away from this success and already it's devolved into partisan bickering.

To get into a partisan dispute about this is to miss the entire point.
agreed.
"So when does Seal Unit 6, or whatever it's called, drop in on George Bush? Bush was responsible for a lot more death, innocent death, than bin Laden. Wasn't he, or am I wrong here?," liberal radio talk show host Mike Malloy said on his show Monday evening.
Yes Mike, you would be wrong here.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Thu May 05, 2011 4:43 am

this from Al Arabiya
About the slain woman: officials said she could either be Bin Laden’s wife or a close family member since she offered to sacrifice her life for him. “As per our information, she shielded Bin Laden during the operation and was killed by American commandos,” an official said. 

The US Special Forces only took two bodies with them in the military chopper; one is said to be Bin Laden’s and the other his son’s.

By the time Pakistani security agencies and soldiers arrived at the spot, the US commandos were flying over the mountains in the Pakistani tribal belt, well on their way to Afghanistan. 

a few things. i love how Al Arabiya spins it so this woman was sacrificing herself for her man. did it actually happen like that, we may never know, but after decades of stories about muslim men using woman and children as shields, i highly doubt it.

The second thing is even more intriguing.
They took Osama's son too? i don't think i heard that anywhere. the story went on to say their are conflicting reports that the son was alive. WTF??
There were conflicting reports about the second person the US forces took along with them. Some Pakistani officials say it was one of Bin Laden’s sons injured by the US commandos and thrown onto a separate military chopper; others say he was killed in the operation and it was only his dead body that they took along. 

and lastly ..
By the time Pakistani security agencies and soldiers arrived at the spot, the US commandos were flying over the mountains in the Pakistani tribal belt, well on their way to Afghanistan. 

they were there for 40 minutes. Smack in the middle of one of the country's largest military installations. This is getting fishy. I don't doubt he is dead, but conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this one.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Thu May 05, 2011 9:34 am

wrveres wrote:

they were there for 40 minutes. Smack in the middle of one of the country's largest military installations. This is getting fishy. I don't doubt he is dead, but conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this one.

I heard on the national news that the military installation there is their equivalent of West Point. If this happened near West Point, I wouldn't be upset that a bunch of cadets didn't take up arms and artillery. Of course, I also have no idea if a real base is anywhere near West Point, so I'm making a big assumption there.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby wrveres » Thu May 05, 2011 9:43 am

StlSluggers wrote:
wrveres wrote:

I heard on the national news that the military installation there is their equivalent of West Point. If this happened near West Point, I wouldn't be upset that a bunch of cadets didn't take up arms and artillery. Of course, I also have no idea if a real base is anywhere near West Point, so I'm making a big assumption there.
it doesn't have to be cadets. where was the police? they had a 40 minute response time for a helicopter crash in the heart of the city?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Phatferd » Mon May 09, 2011 9:56 pm

wrveres wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:
wrveres wrote:they were there for 40 minutes. Smack in the middle of one of the country's largest military installations. This is getting fishy. I don't doubt he is dead, but conspiracy theorists are going to have a field day with this one.

it doesn't have to be cadets. where was the police? they had a 40 minute response time for a helicopter crash in the heart of the city?

Supposedly, they used stealth helicopters, so they were pretty silent. I'm sure the crash made some noise and raised some heads, but I hear loud noises all the time and just assume it's nothing because I don't hear any sirens. I could see how being close to a military complex people just assumed it was some commotion at the nearby base.
You have no frame of reference, Donny. You're like a child who walks into the middle of a movie...
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk