Maybin '11 = Delmon '10 (+ LaPorta) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maybin '11 = Delmon '10 (+ LaPorta)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maybin '11 = Delmon '10 (+ LaPorta)

Postby Bosy Billups » Sun May 01, 2011 8:53 pm

No one talking about this post hype sleeper, yet he's starting to put it together. In fact, it wasn't until August of last year that people were talking about Delmon being productive.

Basically, he's breaking out. Yes, the BA has lots to be desired. But he's taking pitches and walks, which we can assume will only help his BA going forward. He could be 20/20 this year, and if his talent click, 25/25 or 30/30 in his prime is Not out of the question.

Another player to watch: Laporta.

What say you?
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Maybin '11 = Delmon '10 (+ LaPorta)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Sun May 01, 2011 9:15 pm

20 HR despite playing most of his games in pitchers parks and against good pitchers, and also never hitting at a 20-HR pace in the minors, and also being Cameron Maybin? Doubt it. A lot. 12/25/.255 isn't out of reach, which puts him at Will Venable territory. A 25.8% K rate is an improvement but unless he suddenly discovers a huge power stroke, it still won't be enough to propel him into being particularly useful.

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby kab21 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:41 pm

Too many GB's also combined with that pitcher's park to hit a lot of HR's. In the end you're looking at mediocre HR numbers, low R/RBI numbers due the padres offense, a terrible BA but hopefully 25-30 SB's. But he looks like he might not be a complete bust as a 1st rd'er and high profile prospect. Unfortunately the BB's and defense don't count in fantasy.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby Bosy Billups » Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 pm

I forgot, how old is he? 27?
Bosy Billups
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kab21 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:53 pm

Bosy Billups wrote:I forgot, how old is he? 27?

He's still very young at 24 but he needs to make a drastic correction to his GB rate and his K rate (not to mention PetCo) to make him really interesting in fantasy. Or start stealing a lot of bases. a .250 BA with 10-15 HR's isn't going to cut unless he's stealing 40 bases imo. But steals are one category that I choose not to chase and devalue more than most. I'll take them as long as they don't hurt me elsewhere below avg BA, HR and RBI's don't interest me.

I am watching LaPorta however. He's showing power and a decent K rate but he's had horrible BAPIP's every year and he might get stuck at a .250 BA which makes him uninteresting unless he starts hitting 30+HR's and good R/RBI numbers.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 522)

Postby rjforlife » Mon May 02, 2011 6:16 am

kab21 wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:I forgot, how old is he? 27?

He's still very young at 24 but he needs to make a drastic correction to his GB rate and his K rate (not to mention PetCo) to make him really interesting in fantasy. Or start stealing a lot of bases. a .250 BA with 10-15 HR's isn't going to cut unless he's stealing 40 bases imo. But steals are one category that I choose not to chase and devalue more than most. I'll take them as long as they don't hurt me elsewhere below avg BA, HR and RBI's don't interest me.

I am watching LaPorta however. He's showing power and a decent K rate but he's had horrible BAPIP's every year and he might get stuck at a .250 BA which makes him uninteresting unless he starts hitting 30+HR's and good R/RBI numbers.

LaPorta is definitely the interesting one. It would be great if he could get a little higher in that lineup but he is hitting the ball really nicely right now and even showing some pretty nice power.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1284)

Return to Baseball Leftovers