Bud Norris - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bud Norris

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bud Norris

Postby bandrus1 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:38 pm

So is this dude for real? Prob wont get you W's but man can he sit some guys down
bandrus1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bud Norris

Postby J35J » Sun May 01, 2011 6:30 pm

He's been a sleeper for a couple years now....good overpowering stuff but has trouble with command. If he figures out how to "pitch" and keeps the free passes to a minimum he'll be a good solid pitcher.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby juliown1028 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:34 pm

J35J wrote:He's been a sleeper for a couple years now....good overpowering stuff but has trouble with command. If he figures out how to "pitch" and keeps the free passes to a minimum he'll be a good solid pitcher.

Exactly. He reminds me of Jonathan Sanchez in that sense. High K-rate, good stuff, and capable of keeping the ERA down as long as walks are limited.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:40 pm

I like him a lot but he gets hit hard, great K/9 potential though. Keeping the walks down will obviously benefit, but that doesn't change his high h/9.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby J35J » Mon May 02, 2011 3:06 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I like him a lot but he gets hit hard, great K/9 potential though. Keeping the walks down will obviously benefit, but that doesn't change his high h/9.

Well the same reason why he has a high walk total is at least part of why he has a high hit total...his command isn't good. You can be wild in more ways than just missing outside the strike zone... missing inside the strike zone can actually be more of a problem. If he improves his command enough to limit his walks then his command will likely improve inside the strike zone which means he's not leaving pitches belt high middle of the plate. No matter how good your stuff is if you leave it in hittable areas then it will get hit.

I will always use Kyle Davies as an example because I get to watch him pitch and he actually has good stuff in terms of radar gun and just watching how his stuff moves. His problem is not only does he tend to walk guys at bad times but he'll miss INSIDE the strike zone too much and it gets hit hard. But on paper and in a scouts eye his fastball is good, his cutter is nice, his curve is good and his change is good but he has a hard time keep the ball down and out of the middle of the plate.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby hot4tx » Tue May 03, 2011 11:48 am

I'd still call Norris a hold to slight add. He has had good stuff for a couple years, as JJ said, but when he has a bad game it really hurts your team. And because his issues aren't a matter of hitter quality as much as his own control, you can't spot start him against bad teams very successfully. He's just as likely to get blown up by the Padres as he is the Cards. However if he "figures it all out" he could be a 2010 Ryan Dempster for very cheap.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Return to Baseball Leftovers