Another Pitcherless Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Another Pitcherless Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Another Pitcherless Draft

Postby nkeitt » Mon Mar 10, 2003 9:23 am

I'm in a 10 team points keeper league. I missed our draft (long story) and so I just got given whatever yahoo had ranked for me. I did well in the outfield but poorly at SP, I think. Can you let me know if I've got some good sleepers and how I might improve my pitching (esp. with sleepers or prospects since it's a keeper league). Also it would help me if you had thoughts on who I should start (I can start one per fielding position plus 2 OF, 2 IF, 2 UTIL, 2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P). Thanks!

C - Jason LaRue (never heard of him)
1B - Jeff Bagwell, John Olerud
2B- Eric Young (never heard of him), Marlon Anderson
3B - Mike Lowell (never heard of him), Corey Koskie, Todd Zeile
SS - Orlando Cabrera, Carlos Guillen
OF - Brian Giles, Bobby Abreu, Maggio Ordonez, Sosa, Lu Go, Andruw Jones, Trot Nixon, Brad Wilkerson, Alex Sanchez, Corey Patterson

SP - Bartolo Colon, Wade Miller, Randy Wolf, Kevin Appier, Ben Sheets
RP - John Smoltz, Jose Mesa, Ugueth Urbina, Kelvim Escobar, Mike Remlinger
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

What??

Postby sst2003 » Mon Mar 10, 2003 3:55 pm

You've never heard of Mike Lowell (5 Major League Seasons, 551 career games) or Eric Young (10 Major League seasons, 1375 career games)? Can I be in your league?? I mean come on dude, do just a smiggen of research before you go into a draft.

As for your team,

you have plenty of saves, trade saves for starting pitching or some names that you might recognize.
"Fight at the bat rack" I'm a Brewer fan, I see that all the time!!!
sst2003
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby STLRIVERMEN » Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:38 pm

In my opinion you have a decent team. Your catching sucks, and Young at 2B is not good for mucxh any more, maybe a few steals. Lowell is a stud at 3B. Your outfield is stacked, and Colon and Miller make are the start of a good pitching staff. Keep Smoltz and Mesa, and trade you other Rp for a catcher and some starting help.
STLRIVERMEN
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:27 pm

That outfield is simply spectacular... 8-o

I think you have good overall value, but it's very unevenly distributed. If you can plug your holes by trading outfield or rp depth (as sst2003 and STLRIVERMEN already said), you should be in fine shape.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby garuth » Mon Mar 10, 2003 5:36 pm

I think you have a very decent team. Young at 2b is a little long in the tooth. And, I would add Wolf as a above average sp with the other two. Your outfield look terrific, but I agree with the others - you need to upgrade your catching. Your position players (except catcher) are above average. You probably still have a top three team.
garuth

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby nkeitt » Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:19 am

thanks for the input guys, it's encouraging for an admitted newbie, as for not knowing about the players, I've been living in England for the past year and a half and have spent the past two months in South Africa cleaning toilets in a township and working with neglected children, so you'll have to forgive me sst2003, but info hasn't been that easy to come by...

I've done some work on the waiver wire, here is my team at the moment:

C Damian Miller
1B J. Bagwell
2B E. Young
3B M. Lowell
SS O. Cabrera
LF B. Giles
CF B. Abreu
RF M. Ordonez
OF S. Sosa
OF A. Jones
IF J. Olerud
IF C. Koskie
Util L. Gonzalez
Util Alex Sanchez
Bench Brad Wilkerson, Luis Rivas, Carlos Guillen

SP B. Colon, W. Miller, R. Wolf, M. Hampton, K. Appier, B. Sheets, Runlevys Hernandez, D. Wright

RP J. Smoltz, J. Mesa, U. Urbina, M. Remlinger, K. Escobar
You are worth dying for. -JC
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Amnorix » Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:29 am

You know what -- I don't think most people noticed how many positional slots are involved in your league -- you've got 5 IF and 5 OF in play, which means you can actually play the All World outfield of Sosa, Ordonez, Abreu, Giles and Andruw Jones. 8-o

Your team is fine as is. Keep an eye out for quality starting pitching after the first, say, two or three weeks of the season. If you see a guy available who seems to be doing pretty good, along the lines of a Casey Fossum or Tomo Ohka, be quick to grab him. Keep a close eye on Hampton. Be quick to bench him (maybe even start him on the bench this year). See where he's at by late May (at the latest) and if he's not giving you good value, dump him if there is a warm body out there worth taking.

Otherwise, you're in perfectly good shape to just sit and see how the season develops.
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team