UPDATE: Choosing Hanley Blockbuster - A, B or C? (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

UPDATE: Choosing Hanley Blockbuster - A, B or C? (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

UPDATE: Choosing Hanley Blockbuster - A, B or C? (WHIR)

Postby sigriffey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:24 pm

An owner is willing to move Hanley and Greinke. They want Adrian Gonzalez in the deal. They would accept one of the following deals:

Deal A: Sizemore for Greinke

Deal B: Adrian, Sizemore and Walden for Hanley, Greinke and LaRoche

Deal C: Adrian, Sizemore and Chris Perez for Hanley, Grienke and Kendrys Morales

Do I get the studs Hanley and Greinke and diminish my 1B situation? And if so, do I give up Perez to get Morales (when is he due back?) or do I give up Walden to get Adam LaRoche?

12 Team H2H. We Keep 6 Players Season to Season, each for 3 years max. * means contract year

Stat Cats: R, 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG -- IP, CG, W, L, ER, ERA, K, SV, WHIP

MY TEAM (pending two recent trades)

C R. Martin
1B A. Gonzalez
2B D. Pedroia
3B A. Rodriguez
SS A. Ramirez
OF C. Gonzalez
OF C. Crawford*
OF J. Ellsbury
UT G. Sizemore
UT C. Granderson
UT I. Desmond
BN M. Moreland
BN J. Lowrie

SP R. Halladay
SP F. Hernandez
SP T. Lincecum
RP C. Perez
RP J. Walden
P S. Santos
P J. Danks
BN W. Rodriguez
BN A. Ogando
BN K. Drabek
BN J. Zimmermann
DL J. Cueto
DL S. Strasburg

HIS TEAM
C J.P. Arencibia
1B A. LaRoche
2B C. Figgins
3B Ar. Ramirez
SS H. Ramirez
OF M. Kemp
OF I. Suzuki
OF C. Young
UT E. Andrus
UT J. Uribe
UT T. Colvin
BN A. Huff
DL K. Morales

SP R. Oswalt
SP M. Buehrle
SP J. Chacin
RP H. Bell
RP C. Sale
P F. Carmona
P J. Lackey
P B. Marrow
BN S. Baker
BN J. Nathan
BN J. Masterson
BN D. Lowe
DL B. Matusz
DL Z. Greinke
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: UPDATE: Choosing Hanley Blockbuster - A, B or C? (WHIR)

Postby BlueJaysFan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm not sure Hanley is worth Adrian, as he is having the worst season possible. Unless you really believe Hanley can have a 30/40 season, I wouldn`t take him. So that leaves only deal A, which seems fair if you want an extra pitcher, even though your staff looks great to me as is. I don’t think it will hurt you to take deal A though, as long as Greinke can play well when he comes back.
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:26 pm

all 3 deals are great. the problem is that if deal #1 is on the table, i dont see a need to do deal #2 or #3.

agon + a closer for hanley isn't THAT great of a deal. you might consider trading agon/closer to another team and seeing what you can get.
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sigriffey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Note: I can keep Adrian for one year after this. Hanley for two more years after this. Any thoughts?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby Willy T 4 MVP » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:49 pm

can you try to give up santos instead of walden in trade #2?
Willy T 4 MVP
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:57 pm

ok i'm lost here... you're giving us to choose the option of trading sizemore for greinke, but when you list your team you have both sizemore AND greinke... what's going on here?

personally, i'm not a big hanley ramirez guy... i'd never spend a first round pick on him, cuz like, when you start going for 30/30 guys or even 20/40 guys, you're setting up yourself for a world of pain if they don't have that big year... look at carlos gonzalez this year, i mean, i ended up with him in a league or two and aside from being a total-bust, like, he was propped up as a first round draft pick cuz he pulled out a .336/36/117/24 or something, and really, even tho nowadays .336/36/117 is big fantasy production compared to ~5-10 years ago, like, he's uber-valuable cuz of those 24 steals. ryan howard or mark teixeira or prince fielder or even your very own adrian gonzalez aren't going to steal you 24 bases, yet, i bet that cargo was drafted before all of those guys ~75% of the time.

hanley is in that boat... on his own, unless he pulls another .342/24/110 type season out of his arse, unless he steals ~30 bases he's not going to be worth that first round investment. then couple in some slumps, and like, both him and cargo aren't going to be top-12 overall players this year cuz barring some miracle i can't see either of them ending up hitting .320... then you're left with guys who HAVE to go 30/30 or 20/40 or to retain their value over purebred mashers liek the aforementioned 1B.

in this case, you have alexei ramirez at SS... while he doesn't bowl you over with .280/18/70/13 or whatever he had last year, still, keep in mind every single season he starts off horribly slow and then heats up with the chicago weather and flirts with 20/80/15 while hitting .270+... last year i had the depth in my winners league to bench him for most of the first month, so even tho i missed a HR and/or steal or two, i ended up with a ~.300/17/70 at SS, which is nothing to sneeze at. alexei is already at like .250/3/10 with 1 or 2 SBs, so he's actually had a better april than he usually has... quite honestly i don't think you have a gaping need for hanley, cuz there's a good chance that you're going to end up bailing someone out on a bad draft pick (again, even if hanley goes .280/20/80/10 or something, that's not first round talent... and granted there's still a whole lot of time, but like, you're taking on a slump with total bust potential, and giving up a bonafide masher at first to do it... i personally wouldn't run and do this trade.

it's one thing if you're getting tulo or sonething, cuz the only thing that really stops him is being on the damn field, or well, technically playing hurt would too i guess.

i wouldn't trade for greinke either... dude, you have felix, halladay, and lincecum and neither of them are on "contract years"... dude, if you wanna try for a young SP to get your 3 years, go with michael pineda. that kid is sick, prolly still cheaper than greinke (unless your owner is smart) and have you seen him pitch? greinke had one hell of a cy young year, but otherwise he isn't anything to call home about.

if i were you, i'd personally try to deal lincecum for michael pineda plus another bat.. hell, package in sizemore and see f you can get a matt kemp. shin soo choooo is cheap right now. carlos quentin is still relatively cheap, albeit a risk. hell, see if someone thinks they're selling high on jose bautista and snatch him out from an owner.. he'd look real nice in your OF.

you're ready to go to war with mitch moreland as your 1B, just so you could upgrade alexei ramirez to hanley ramirez? you'd be creating a hole at 1B and doubling up on a position, and ideally i wouldn't want alexei ramirez as a util player... i'd like someone with more typical masher potential, or a full-on stolen base guy... rajai davis came back, did someone get impatient and cut him? there's 40 steals right there.

creating a hole at 1B for the privledge of having hanley ramirez when you already have alexei ramirez isn't a championship move, IMO. if you're gonna get a kid to go into the future with, shoot, you've already got ogando... i recommend pineda, beachy looked good til he gave up 2 base hits exited and then venters let the inherited runners score, otherwise he would have blanked the red-hot STL offense (as it was he was 7IP 5K 2.57/0.57, and that will put his K rate squarely at like 36/36 or 37/37 or something) i mean, there's so much more you could do than go for greinke, and especially ramirez... i'd be very hesitant to do that, in fact, i actively wouldn't.

i know it's a bit contrarian, but that's what i really think.

hey, can you please check out my flummoxing dilemma? its messing my little world up --- viewtopic.php?t=429126
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby sigriffey » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:15 pm

I think I see where you are coming from on the Hanley deal.

But I am still tempted by the Sizemore for Greinke. This head to head league has always been about dominant SP. I'm shooting for my 6th consecutive title but have somehow strayed from this approach by not having sufficient depth. Greinke -- I hope -- would be an beast in the NL central with that offense behind him, relegating Danks to my number 5. Then I just hope Wandy puts together a sick second half.

Thoughts?
sigriffey
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic

Postby tripleb » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Id take that sizemore for greinke deal asap, great sell high on sizemore
tripleb
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GardnerRunsRampant » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:18 pm

Deal A is a steal. Deals B and C don't add much value. Alexei Ramirez is a decent SS, making hurting your 1b position not worth it. Definitely take deal A while it is on the table!
GardnerRunsRampant
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 55)

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:26 pm

I don't like any of the 3.
SP is the easiest thing to find.
Sizemore is one of the few guys hitting. I think he's back.
Crawford could slump for quite awhile.
Not a big Ellsbury fan.
You don't need Greinke.
You need guys bashing.
Fwiw, Hanleys GB/FB ratio rose last year. That means fewer hrs. He might be a 20 hr guy now.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 296)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions