Trade away Gardner for Lowrie??? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade away Gardner for Lowrie??? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade away Gardner for Lowrie??? WHIR

Postby JaysFan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:58 pm

I was verbally offered HIS Lowrie for my Gardner. Given my league rules and roster, should I make this trade?

WHIR

16 team Head To Head Redraft League
(h,r,hr,rbi, avg,sb,ops,bb,2b,3b,k - W,L,SV,K,ERA,WHIP,HLD,QS,CG,SHO,IP)

C- Posada 1B- A. Gonzalez 2B-Hererra SS-Tulowitzki
3B- Bautista OF- Quentin,Gardner, Byrd UTIL- Gomez, Barney BENCH- Ludwick DL- Hill, Pagan
SP- Price, Morrow, Lohse, Kuroda RP- Axford, Nunez
P- Capps, Balfour BENCH- Britton, Zambrano, Dickey
JaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 14)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade away Gardner for Lowrie??? WHIR

Postby TrippySG » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Yeah Id do that, I feel like Lowrie has more value. I dont know about the triples though, Gardner might get some and I dont see Lowrie getting any.
TrippySG
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bea Arthur » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Yep, I would do that. Lowrie is a stud and Gardner's types are a lot easier to find.

Help w/mine? viewtopic.php?t=429058
Bea Arthur
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby JaysFan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:17 am

Bump
JaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sinicalypse » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:44 am

Welp, you're being given the proverbial Buy-High/Trade-Low option right now, seeing as gardner has only started coming out of his early season suckfest with an odd HR binge, and lowrie was the hottest bat on the Red Sox for a week or two there and now someone's trying to get one of someone's draftees for what was undoubtedly a waiver wire pickup.

Early in the year last year Gardner was great... he hovered around .300 and it seemed like every day you saw him he'd be like 2-4 with a SB... then in the second half he started stalling, the SB output slowed down, and he ended up in the .270 range with ~40 SBs... then it seems like that second half suck seemed to carry over to this year. Another thing to note is that when gardner was doing really good last year he was primarily doing it out of the 9-hole, and then when he got shifted to the 1/2 holes that's when he slowed down. This season he started slow in the 1/2 holes and when he was put down into the 9 hole he scuffled some but then has recently turned into babe gardner. A good sign was to see him go 1/2 yesterday in a game started by ricky romero, toronto's #1 pitcher and most importantly a LHP, as even tho gardner is still below the mendoza line if there was going to be a platoon where gardner would lose at bats to the mighty andruw jones, you figure it would be against LHPs... therefore, gardner merely starting yesterday, along with going 1-2 with 2 walks, was a very good sign for him going forward.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the jed lowrie age of aquarius world tour slows down, the red sox also have marco scutaro there to play SS... as it was, lowrie was in some sort of platoon with marco, who IIRC had a nice year last year, indeed Marco Scutaro (2010): 150g 632ab 92r 174h 38h2b 0h3b 11hr 56rbi 53bb 71k 5sb 4cs .275avg .333obp .388slg .721ops is pretty solid/pedestrian for a 2B.

honestly, i'd be inclined to sit on gardner here... there's the triples category, not to mention if everyone here is saying OMFG GO TAKE LOWRIE... hmm... damn he did go .287/9/24 in 55 games (171 at bats)( last year, which would lead you to believe that this year's stuff is not a fluke... hmmmmm... herrera is nothing really special at 2B (he might have teh sporadic week where he hits .500 and streals 4 bases whilst scoring a bunch of runs, but i don't think the little flea is any sort of sure thing at 2B on a medium to long term basis) so i guess even tho your SB prospects are, presumably carlos gomez and angel pagan... hmmmmm, i guess you roll the dice and do that?

maybe some numbnuts cut rajai davis and he's there for you? rajai's gonna steal a bunch of bases if he can stay on the field, and while he'll swoon early he always seems to rebound and hit well in the 2nd half whilst racking up his ~50 steals/pace throughout a season. cuz trading gardner is a blow to the triples and obviously to the SB, but maybe you're guessing that this owner didn't do their homework on lowrie and thinks they're selling high?

yeah, i guess you roll the dice here... i'd still be a lil weary, but in your position i think you do that.

take a look at mine, would ye? viewtopic.php?t=429126
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby JaysFan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:05 am

Yeah but what about the fact that I have Aaron Hill at 2b and he will be back sometime in May?
JaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions