possible idea for yahoo? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

possible idea for yahoo?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

possible idea for yahoo?

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 pm

this came from a guy in a league I have played with for a few years now.
he was basically saying one problem with yahoo is that those who can get to the computer faster have a better chance at picking up players. more so based around closers. one closer is replaced and those who are quicker to the computer get to pick the relief pitchers next in line. if you can't get to the computer fast enough, your screwed.
here is the idea..

from whatever time in the morning yahoo starts, all free agent players are available to anyone to pick up at any time. then once the first game of the day starts, all players become locked and can only be added through the waiver system. if you want a player locked, you have to put in a waiver claim. you can either use just the waiver priority or for more of a challenge a waiver budget so you have to decide how much money to spend.

thoughts?
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: possible idea for yahoo?

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:41 pm

if you want this structure why dont you just set your league up to have all players on waivers?

under your proposed system, what time would players be unlocked and revert to FA? lets say its midnight...
using the the way youre suggesting, its just going to change from "guy who can get to computer fastest" to "guy who can get to computer right at midnight"
If all the guys in your league are really using high waiver priority on speculative closers then im sure you can find a way to exploit them. X-I
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

I've never been a commissioner so I have no idea how a league is set up.

once the first game starts, all players are locked. they remain locked until even after the games have finished and until first thing the next morning once the players would come off waivers the same as they do now. I have seen different times so far this season. sometimes it's around 4 am, sometimes it's later and closer to 7 am. once that time comes where players would come off waivers the same as they do now, then all players become free agents again.
you would still have the ability to be fastest to the computer before games start, so it's not going to completely stop that.
SpecialFNK
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 517)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:51 pm

IMO, this is the #1 reason why all serious fantasy players (in any sport) must have a smart phone.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 504)

Postby Neato Torpedo » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:59 pm

As someone who wakes up, goes directly to class, and usually doesn't get to a computer until 2 PM, I say hell no. X-I

Rocinante2: you know
Rocinante2: its easy to dismiss the orioles as a bad team
ofanrex: go on
Rocinante2: i'm done
Rocinante2: lmao

Play Brushback Baseball! (we need more people)
Neato Torpedo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerWeb Supporter

Postby cs3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:22 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:IMO, this is the #1 reason why all serious fantasy players (in any sport) must have a smart phone.

only problem is that smart phones are almost completely useless on Yahoo Fantasy.
Their mobile compatibility is so ridiculously awful that its not even worth doing anything other than simply checking your teams stats.... and sometimes even that is impossible.
take my example from today:

i checked the lineups and realized that Lowrie was not playing for Boston, so i attempted to move sub him out for Kelly Johnson.
I go to my team page and of course it freezes when the page finally loads. So i zoom in and out, refresh it a couple time, and finally the screen is useable.
And of course its stuck in Drag n Drop mode, even tho i last used it in Classic Mode, and even tho you cant even use drag n drop from a mobile device! awesome right?

After 3 attempts to get it into classic mode i finally am able to open the position slider for Lowrie and KJ and make the switch.
I scroll down and go to hit "submit" and guess what.. there is NO SUBMIT BUTTON! thats right, both tabs are listed as "cancel"
it looks like |CANCEL|....|CANCEL|
wtf?!

so i have to refresh the page AGAIN, repeat the entire process because of course the screen locks up AGAIN, and of course its stuck in drag n drop AGAIN. i finally get teh changes all set, and the "submit" button is actually finctional.
so i hit submit and...
it logs me out! ya, instead of submitting teh changes, i was actually logged out of my fantasy account and taken to the login page.
and once again, you cant login from a mobile phone because the page freezes and the area where you need to enter your password is not even accessible. teh only way to log back in is to go to another Yahoo web site (like Yahoo mail) login tehre then go back to your Fantasy team and hope you stay signed in.
At this point i had already spent literally 20 minutes trying to make one simple little change that should've taken less than 30 seconds, and i finally gave up.
Why cant Yahoo realease an app or fix their awful mobile issues?

sorry to go on a long offtopic rant, If mods want to delete this maybe ill post this somewhere else.

edit -
mods, i just posted the letter i submitted to yahoo (which is very very similar to what i wrote above) in a separate thread, so if you want to delete this post its fine with me)
Last edited by cs3 on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:47 pm

i think they have a good version of yahoo fantasy football for mobile phones, but not baseball... why?
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Fantasy Guru 2011 works just fine for me. I don't have the freezing issues. Heck CBSsports is a pay fantasy site, they have their own app...and it still sucks.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 504)

Postby mblax10 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:24 am

cs3 wrote:
footballisbetter.com wrote:IMO, this is the #1 reason why all serious fantasy players (in any sport) must have a smart phone.

only problem is that smart phones are almost completely useless on Yahoo Fantasy.
Their mobile compatibility is so ridiculously awful that its not even worth doing anything other than simply checking your teams stats.... and sometimes even that is impossible.

Um, Yahoo works fine on my IPHONE. Both via app and straight through the web.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby cs3 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:43 am

i should have said on android devices.
i cant speak for other platforms because ive never used them.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers