Bartolo Colon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bartolo Colon

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:36 pm

cs3 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote: I'm not a Gio guy, so I might actually drop him for Bart,

you know where i'd stick that idea?

right here ^ Image thats where!

It's funny actually. I heard piles and piles of hype surrounding Gio this offseason, not that his ratios from last year were all that impressive, nor does the primary "advanced" metric I like to consider, K/BB where Gio's was sub 2.00. I guess the scouts know more than I do, but so far I haven't seen anything from Gio that piques my interest. Because of the hype surrounding him, I'm sure all of his current owners probably paid a lot more than I would have been willing to, and I suppose under those circumstances, you'd probably have to hold him. I'm just saying, in the short term, I like Bart better. Besides, if I'm listing guys I'd consider dropping Bart for, I'm going to use the best names as an example, not obvious guys like Bronson Arroyo or Derek Holland even though both of them are probably more widely owned.

Bart has some rough parks to pitch in next week (@CHW, @TEX). I suspect if he comes out unscathed he'll be owned pretty much everywhere. As of now, I'm planning on starting him vs the White Sox, but might shy away from the Rangers. We'll see.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Gio is all about harnessing his talent. he has the stuff to be great and he's shown that he has the control to make it effective. the challenge with him is making it consistent and repeatable. one day it should click and once it does he will be great. but, there is no way to predict when/if it will happen. but last year, it looked closer to being consistent day-in and day-out so people though this year would be the year he turns the corner. it still may be.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 167)

Postby slink » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:57 am

I'm not a believer. Colon hasn't had a usable K/9 rate in standard leagues since 2001. Even if he's put the health issues behind him I doubt he can sustain anything close to his K/9 rate. I'm expecting a sub 7.0 rate from here on out and maybe even closer to 5 K/9 than 7 K/9. On the other hand, while we will see a regression as his K rate drops and his LOB% regresses a bit, I do think he could post a usable ERA and WHIP and will likely see the wins as a Yankee. Run with him while he's hot though.
slink
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Mon May 02, 2011 9:59 pm

Bart's third start

7 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, ND

Alex Avila got him for two solo HRs, but so far concerns about his K rate seem unfounded. Now has 33 Ks in 33 IP. And only 6 BBs (5.50 K/BB)

Colon is a difficult player to evaluate because he's been inactive for a looooooooooong time. I might not start him his next time out @TEX, but he is a former Cy Young winner and the ratios he's sporting play pretty well with an offense like the Yankees.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Ender » Tue May 03, 2011 1:09 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:Bart's third start

7 IP, 7 H, 3 ER, 0 BB, 7 K, ND

Alex Avila got him for two solo HRs, but so far concerns about his K rate seem unfounded. Now has 33 Ks in 33 IP. And only 6 BBs (5.50 K/BB)

Colon is a difficult player to evaluate because he's been inactive for a looooooooooong time. I might not start him his next time out @TEX, but he is a former Cy Young winner and the ratios he's sporting play pretty well with an offense like the Yankees.

I have no opinion on him in general but lets keep in mind he was never really that good before this year, even when healthy. His Cy Young year was heavily luck influenced, so far this year he has by far displayed the best skills of his career, it isn't even close. To me that screams fluke when someone of his age who was out of the game for a couple years comes back and has his best year ever so far it is just unlikely to be true. Sure it is worth owning him until he crashes and burns but if you can get even a 15th round pick in trade for him I'd do it instantly.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers