Bartolo Colon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bartolo Colon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Bartolo Colon

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:48 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:I would drop any of Bedard, Wade Davis, or Bumgarner, but I guess the one of those with the least upside is Wade. I'd drop Wade for him in a heartbeat.

Wade davis has given up 2,1,1,2 runs in 6+ innings his last 4 starts. dropping him would be nonsense.. for right now, at least.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:49 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:i actually really want to pick him up.. but i think as of right now all my bad pitchers have done enough recently to stay rostered.. don't really know who to drop.

Kershaw
Gallardo
Marcum
Nolasco
De La Rosa
Lohse
Masterson
W. Davis
Bumgarner
Bedard

I know you'll say bedard right off the bat, but he did have a good outing against detroit and if he does keep it going he gets to pitch in Seattle for half his games..

I would drop any of Bedard, Wade Davis, or Bumgarner, but I guess the one of those with the least upside is Wade. I'd drop Wade for him in a heartbeat.

Yup, Wade Davis in a free agent in this league and I ended up picking Colon over him...neither are likely going to be rosterable for long so go with the hot hand...that is Colon.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:06 am

lastingsgriller wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:I would drop any of Bedard, Wade Davis, or Bumgarner, but I guess the one of those with the least upside is Wade. I'd drop Wade for him in a heartbeat.

Wade davis has given up 2,1,1,2 runs in 6+ innings his last 4 starts. dropping him would be nonsense.. for right now, at least.

With like a 4.5 K/9 and a 1.6 K/BB. He's on a bit of a hot streak right now, but he's also a FA in my league. In any event, maybe you can wait until one more start to be convinced. You've got a pretty deep pitching staff as it is.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:34 am

CBMGreatOne wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:

With like a 4.5 K/9 and a 1.6 K/BB. He's on a bit of a hot streak right now, but he's also a FA in my league. In any event, maybe you can wait until one more start to be convinced. You've got a pretty deep pitching staff as it is.

oh, don't get me wrong.. I don't have a great deal of faith in Wade Davis, nor do I think he's going to be some sort of ace.. I just see no reason to drop him while he's hot.. at least ride the streak out.
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby neoforce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:10 pm

quote="CBMGreatOne"]
I always try to shy away from any discussion of pharmaceuticals on this board, but between Colon and Russell Martin, the circumstantial evidence is there. Every year some over the hill players have a career renaissance. Perhaps it is Colon's turn. I'm ready to jump ship when the wheels fall off, but I think it'll take an injury for him to start going down in flames. The buzz was already there for Bartolo as a mixed league option in spring training and everything he has done since has reinforced that sentiment.[/quote]

Because of the steroid era I have to admit to having the same thoughts about Colon. This is a Colon thread, and maybe I should stick there... But i had to react to the Russell Martin comment. He is 28. Not over the hill, just hasn't been healthy the last few year. I never thought of steroids with him. Of course, anything is possible, lots of people juiced to help with injuries. But I have a tough time calling Martin over the hill.

Back to Colon. I agree with everything said here so far... Pick him up and ride the hot streak, don't expect it to last. Of course as a Yankee fan i hope it does last!! I just don't expect it to.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby mweir145 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:10 pm

I picked up Bartolo after his start against the Jays. He had great stuff and control that day, and so far, he's one of the few pitchers that has been made Bautista look bad this year (Pineda, Weaver, and Beckett were the only others).

Could just be a hot start, I guess, or it could be the start of something a lot more. Better to have him and find out.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:58 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:he won't find his way onto any of my rosters, but my interest is piqued

He's already top 40, albeit with a higher than average chance of breaking down. There are plenty of higher owned pitchers that need to be dropped for him. Wandy, Gio, Dempster, Lilly, Colby Lewis, Bumgarner... I'm not sure I'd rather have any of those guys than Colon right now. Not saying it's automatic, but in leagues where pitching is deep, there's an argument to be made. Grab the guy performing right now, in 10 team leagues, there will always be pitching on the wire. See Matthew Berry's "Wandy Line"

You would drop Gio Gonzalez for Bartolo Colon? That's more of a stretch than I can really entertain. Gio is an upstart young pitcher just hitting his best stride. Colon is, well Colon.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:15 pm

rjforlife wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
MasterX1918 wrote:he won't find his way onto any of my rosters, but my interest is piqued

He's already top 40, albeit with a higher than average chance of breaking down. There are plenty of higher owned pitchers that need to be dropped for him. Wandy, Gio, Dempster, Lilly, Colby Lewis, Bumgarner... I'm not sure I'd rather have any of those guys than Colon right now. Not saying it's automatic, but in leagues where pitching is deep, there's an argument to be made. Grab the guy performing right now, in 10 team leagues, there will always be pitching on the wire. See Matthew Berry's "Wandy Line"

You would drop Gio Gonzalez for Bartolo Colon? That's more of a stretch than I can really entertain. Gio is an upstart young pitcher just hitting his best stride. Colon is, well Colon.

I don't know if I would drop Gio, I just wanted to illustrate that he actually belongs among those kinds of names although he doesn't have anything like the same ownership percentage. I'm not a Gio guy, so I might actually drop him for Bart, but then again, my league counts K/BB where Gio is a liability and Bart excels so I'm a little biased.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby cs3 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:47 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote: I'm not a Gio guy, so I might actually drop him for Bart,

you know where i'd stick that idea?

right here ^ Image thats where!
cs3
Major League Manager