Bartolo Colon - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bartolo Colon

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Bartolo Colon

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:17 pm

I already posted about him in the daily threads, but I think after his last start he needs to be approaching universal ownership. Still only at 16% owned in Yahoo, he is pretty much entrenched as a member of the Yankees starting rotation with Phil Hughes's well documented struggles and demotion, not to mention the well documented struggles of Burnett, and inexperience of Ivan Nova. Freddy Garcia is a reclamation project in his own right and CC is the only well established starter in the rotation.

Since taking a spot in the Yanks rotation Bartolo has had the following two starts (2-0)

6.2 IP, 5H, 2BB, 2 ERs, 7Ks

8 IP, 7H, BB, ER, 6Ks

These came after strong appearances in long relief. I think a very strong argument can be made that he's the #2 in the Yankees rotation right now. I'm not sure he's a "must own" in the shallowest of leagues, but he's definitely getting there. However it is that he's getting it done, he's worth the ride for the time being.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Bartolo Colon

Postby Crimedogg32 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:29 am

Can he keep up his pace of a K/IP or will late likely go down?
Crimedogg32
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:17 am

he won't find his way onto any of my rosters, but my interest is piqued
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 am

MasterX1918 wrote:he won't find his way onto any of my rosters, but my interest is piqued

He's already top 40, albeit with a higher than average chance of breaking down. There are plenty of higher owned pitchers that need to be dropped for him. Wandy, Gio, Dempster, Lilly, Colby Lewis, Bumgarner... I'm not sure I'd rather have any of those guys than Colon right now. Not saying it's automatic, but in leagues where pitching is deep, there's an argument to be made. Grab the guy performing right now, in 10 team leagues, there will always be pitching on the wire. See Matthew Berry's "Wandy Line"
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jpbusta » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:28 am

I picked up Colon and Wolf in one of my leagues and I'm gonna try to take my chances. B-)
R2C2.
jpbusta
General Manager
General Manager

Postby McGill » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:02 am

Pickin up Colon. Off with Dumpster. :-P

"Watch me pull a rabbit out of the hat..."

"....Again?!!"
McGill
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:35 am

Depending on league size of course... but pretty much any player is worthy of being picked up to ride out their hot streak. I've picked him up in one league to do just that. I try to leave a SP spot open where I can just ride the hot hand...Colon is that hot hand right now for me in that particular league.

Just don't kid yourself into thinking this will last a whole lot longer though, especially in that league/division/home park.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:43 am

i actually really want to pick him up.. but i think as of right now all my bad pitchers have done enough recently to stay rostered.. don't really know who to drop.

Kershaw
Gallardo
Marcum
Nolasco
De La Rosa
Lohse
Masterson
W. Davis
Bumgarner
Bedard

I know you'll say bedard right off the bat, but he did have a good outing against detroit and if he does keep it going he gets to pitch in Seattle for half his games..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:44 am

J35J wrote:Depending on league size of course... but pretty much any player is worthy of being picked up to ride out their hot streak. I've picked him up in one league to do just that. I try to leave a SP spot open where I can just ride the hot hand...Colon is that hot hand right now for me in that particular league.

Just don't kid yourself into thinking this will last a whole lot longer though, especially in that league/division/home park.

I always try to shy away from any discussion of pharmaceuticals on this board, but between Colon and Russell Martin, the circumstantial evidence is there. Every year some over the hill players have a career renaissance. Perhaps it is Colon's turn. I'm ready to jump ship when the wheels fall off, but I think it'll take an injury for him to start going down in flames. The buzz was already there for Bartolo as a mixed league option in spring training and everything he has done since has reinforced that sentiment.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:45 am

lastingsgriller wrote:i actually really want to pick him up.. but i think as of right now all my bad pitchers have done enough recently to stay rostered.. don't really know who to drop.

Kershaw
Gallardo
Marcum
Nolasco
De La Rosa
Lohse
Masterson
W. Davis
Bumgarner
Bedard

I know you'll say bedard right off the bat, but he did have a good outing against detroit and if he does keep it going he gets to pitch in Seattle for half his games..

I would drop any of Bedard, Wade Davis, or Bumgarner, but I guess the one of those with the least upside is Wade. I'd drop Wade for him in a heartbeat.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers