Alex White SP- Cleveland - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alex White SP- Cleveland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex White SP- Cleveland

Postby footballisbetter.com » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:20 pm

He was just called up today by the Indians and will get the start on Saturday.

Anyone know much about him? He is supposedly a top 50 prospect and Clevelands #1 prospect. I couldn't find much on him on these boards.
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 154)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alex White SP- Cleveland

Postby coyotedelmar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:44 pm

Haven't heard of him, but did manage to come across this (while a couple months old) article from fan graphs that does a little blurb on him:
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.ph ... d-indians/

this one does a hell of a lot of better write-up:
http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/2 ... -alex.html
coyotedelmar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby lastingsgriller » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:47 pm

I know that he was drafted very high out of North Carolina. he was very polished when he was drafted and he has stormed through the minors.

I think his downfall was that he doesn't have any offspead pitch with any quality. no idea if he has developed anything..
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 182)

Postby coyotedelmar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:I know that he was drafted very high out of North Carolina. he was very polished when he was drafted and he has stormed through the minors.

I think his downfall was that he doesn't have any offspead pitch with any quality. no idea if he has developed anything..

From reading, it doesn't sound like it. He apparently has been working on a slider but at least as of march apparently he was still struggling with getting more consistent with it. Just going off another persons opinion mind you (as never seeing him pitch myself). Supposedly if he can develop the slider, he'll have a chance to be a mid-rotation guy. If not, his Splitter/Fastball combo is good enough to be a late-inning guy *shrugs*
coyotedelmar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mblax10 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:33 am

coyotedelmar wrote:
lastingsgriller wrote:I know that he was drafted very high out of North Carolina. he was very polished when he was drafted and he has stormed through the minors.

From reading, it doesn't sound like it. He apparently has been working on a slider but at least as of march apparently he was still struggling with getting more consistent with it. Just going off another persons opinion mind you (as never seeing him pitch myself). Supposedly if he can develop the slider, he'll have a chance to be a mid-rotation guy. If not, his Splitter/Fastball combo is good enough to be a late-inning guy *shrugs*

I think his ceiling is higher than mid-rotation if his slider develops. That is a big if. As is, his sinker and splitter are both plus and he throws strikes. He had a nice year in AA last year and was pretty dominant in his first 4 AAA starts this year. Lots of questions if he can get major league hitters out with that mix.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MasterX1918 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:51 pm

I might give him a shot, I think i'm done with travis wood
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby West » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:05 pm

MasterX1918 wrote:I might give him a shot, I think i'm done with travis wood

Wood will come around! He has to, I drafted him in half my leagues :-o
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby 910BronxBomber » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 pm

Alex White was an ace at Carolina, the same year Daniel Bard was. He has a pretty good fastball, sits 89-92, but can touch as high as 94-96. He's got a great slider, which was part of the reason he shot up the minor league system in my opinion. His change leaves some to be desired, but I think with some work it could become an average-above average pitch. Every now and again he flashes a 'get me over' breaking ball. His control will more than likely be his downfall in the majors, at least this time around. I also think he's got arm trouble in his future, as his mechanics are a little awkward, to say the least.

There's a good, much more detailed report of him here:
http://projectprospect.com/article/2009 ... ing-report

I'll be watching his starts and hoping for the best as a Tar Heel fan, but not really expecting much.

Edit - 1rst start today:
6.2IP 6H 2ER 4BB 5K (no decision)
910BronxBomber
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mblax10 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:51 am

910BronxBomber wrote:Alex White was an ace at Carolina, the same year Daniel Bard was. He has a pretty good fastball, sits 89-92, but can touch as high as 94-96. He's got a great slider, which was part of the reason he shot up the minor league system in my opinion. His change leaves some to be desired, but I think with some work it could become an average-above average pitch. Every now and again he flashes a 'get me over' breaking ball. His control will more than likely be his downfall in the majors, at least this time around. I also think he's got arm trouble in his future, as his mechanics are a little awkward, to say the least.

I'll be watching his starts and hoping for the best as a Tar Heel fan, but not really expecting much.

Edit - 1rst start today:

Are you sure your write-up is on Alex White? His WIP slider is what's holding him back from being top level prospect. He's a sinker/slider guy without a dependable off-speed pitch. Not sure why you question his control. He has a history of throwing a lot of strikes.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mblax10 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:51 am

910BronxBomber wrote:Alex White was an ace at Carolina, the same year Daniel Bard was. He has a pretty good fastball, sits 89-92, but can touch as high as 94-96. He's got a great slider, which was part of the reason he shot up the minor league system in my opinion. His change leaves some to be desired, but I think with some work it could become an average-above average pitch. Every now and again he flashes a 'get me over' breaking ball. His control will more than likely be his downfall in the majors, at least this time around. I also think he's got arm trouble in his future, as his mechanics are a little awkward, to say the least.

Edit - 1rst start today:

Are you sure your write-up is on Alex White? His WIP slider is what's holding him back from being top level prospect. He's a sinker/splitter guy without a dependable off-speed pitch. Not sure why you question his control. He has a history of throwing a lot of strikes.
mblax10
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers