NFL Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

NFL Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: NFL Draft

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:13 pm

I'm not as upset about Ponder as most Vikes fans are. Of all the quarterbacks in the draft except Newton I think he has the best chance of being a great QB and if he stays healthy and I think he has far less of a chance of being a bust as Newton does. He seems to be a guy who could either be a franchise QB and at the very minimum he'll be a game manager. I can deal with that as the downside.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:05 pm

jfg wrote:I'm not as upset about Ponder as most Vikes fans are. Of all the quarterbacks in the draft except Newton I think he has the best chance of being a great QB and if he stays healthy and I think he has far less of a chance of being a bust as Newton does. He seems to be a guy who could either be a franchise QB and at the very minimum he'll be a game manager. I can deal with that as the downside.

I agree 100%. He does have less of a of chance of being a bust than Newton. But there are the injury issues. A separated shoulder and and those continuous bursa sack issues on his throwing arm are nothing to sneeze at. Mentally he's got it. And he's got the skills and size. I just worry if he'll be able to stay healthy. Because of that I think the Vikings reached a little. Not sure they could have waited till their 2nd round pick for a QB but they probably could have traded that 12 overall pick for a package of picks and still got Ponder. Meh, it's not a huge deal, just a little eyebrow raising.
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jfg » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:39 pm

From what I've heard, they did try to trade down to a position where they could be assured they still could get him and didn't find any takers.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:43 pm

jfg wrote:From what I've heard, they did try to trade down to a position where they could be assured they still could get him and didn't find any takers.

Ah, I didn't hear that. I suppose that makes it less eyebrow raising. I still think I probably would have passed on Ponder either way till round 2, but I'm also not a member of the Vikings front office so what the hell do I know. :-B
Metroid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFootball Mod
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to General Talk