Starting Pitching HELP!! WHIR, promise!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Starting Pitching HELP!! WHIR, promise!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Starting Pitching HELP!! WHIR, promise!!

Postby BiGAnT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:39 pm

So I literally just dropped Zambrano and picked up Bartolo Colon (and I didn't just jump b/c of the results of tonight's game - I watched some film from tonight and he was hitting consistent 95 mid-game and his 2-seamer looked NASTY!! (those two combined = K potential, plus he's gonna get W cuz he's on the yanks). SO anyway, my pitching CONTINUES to be my issue (with McCarthy getting rocked last night and Dempster being HORRIBLE). I'm relatively content with my offense right now and seeing that my ERA is over 5 I need some advice!!

Here are the top available pitchers: Randy Wolf, Zach Britton, Brandon Beachy, Tim Stauffer & Dustin Moseley (I like PETCO's ERA friendliness), Jeremy Guthrie, Wade Davis, Mike Leake, Dice-K, Freddy Garcia.

Should I drop anyone (preferably a pitcher, but I'll drop BN players if necessary) in order to pick up any one of these (looking for LONG TERM help)??

I like Wolf and Britton but Britton being in the AL East concerns me, Leake is intriguing to me but I just don't know, same with the SD pitchers (plus no run support for them always hurts - but again, I'm more concerned about pitchers that can help my ERA so I don't know!!)

THANKS GUYS!!!

C Geovany Soto
1B Ryan howard
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Casey McGehee
SS Jimmy Rollins
OF Matt Kemp
OF Alex Rios
OF Vladimir Guererro
Util Adam Jones
BN Sam Fuld
BN Jed Lowrie

SP Roy Halladay
SP Chris Carpenter
SP Ryan Dempster
RP Jordan Walden
RP Mitchell Boggs
P Brandon McCarthy
P Jair Jurrjens
P Sergio Santos
P Carlos Zambrano
P Aroldis Chapman
P Brandon League
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Starting Pitching HELP!! WHIR, promise!!

Postby KaPluie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:46 pm

You've got decent pitching. You may just have to give it time. I don't see any significant improvements from the wire ... they are all flyers. You could hit it big by picking up dice-k for Brandon McCarthy, but its nothing more than a gamble. Out of the group listed, I really like Wolf, Beachy, and Dice-k, but they are all just finger-crossers. You're best bet for real improvement is the trading block. Sell Fuld high.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby woowoo crew » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:53 pm

If you don't get holds in your league, Chapman would be a guy to drop. The other would be Dempster of course. Of your options, I'll list my top 3, in my personal preference. They are all really close, but I put Beachy on top b/c he gets the K's. Wolf is having a great year so far, and I put Britton 3rd b/c he's in the AL East, but he is holding his own right now. Moseley has been good, but the Padres will be in so many close games, I wouldn't consider him really.

(1) Beachy
(2) Wolf
(3) Britton

Help me please: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=428861
C: Gattis
1B: Abreu
2B: Utley
SS: Dee
3B: Encarnacion
UTIL: Dickerson, Chris Davis
OF: Stanton, Heyward, Polanco
BN: Arenado, Chisenhall, Blackmon, Calhoun
P: Cueto, Strasburg, Cliff Lee, Wood, Latos, Kuechel, Kluber, Arrieta, Ross
RP: Kimbrel, Uehara
woowoo crew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BiGAnT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Thanks KaPluie!! You think sell high on Fuld?? Only reason I ask is because I need SB and he's rackin em up...I know he will not keep the average up but I'm worried about the SB category...how about this: Fuld and Rios for Brett Anderson (or a pitcher along those lines)?? Could I pull something like that off?
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KaPluie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:03 pm

BiGAnT wrote:Thanks KaPluie!! You think sell high on Fuld?? Only reason I ask is because I need SB and he's rackin em up...I know he will not keep the average up but I'm worried about the SB category...how about this: Fuld and Rios for Brett Anderson (or a pitcher along those lines)?? Could I pull something like that off?

How have you been doing offensively so far this season. Is it a head2head league?
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby woowoo crew » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for your input on mine. Quick question since you are a Phillies fan... would you go for a deal like this: I give Adam Jones and Buchholz for Cole Hamels? I am so scared of Hamels blowing up, and Adam Jones having a big year though. What do you think? Thanks.
C: Gattis
1B: Abreu
2B: Utley
SS: Dee
3B: Encarnacion
UTIL: Dickerson, Chris Davis
OF: Stanton, Heyward, Polanco
BN: Arenado, Chisenhall, Blackmon, Calhoun
P: Cueto, Strasburg, Cliff Lee, Wood, Latos, Kuechel, Kluber, Arrieta, Ross
RP: Kimbrel, Uehara
woowoo crew
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KaPluie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:13 pm

woowoo crew wrote:Thanks for your input on mine. Quick question since you are a Phillies fan... would you go for a deal like this: I give Adam Jones and Buchholz for Cole Hamels? I am so scared of Hamels blowing up, and Adam Jones having a big year though. What do you think? Thanks.

Easily like the Hamels side of this deal. Jones is OK, but is streaky and could be waiver-wire fodder at any moment. Hamels >>> Buchholz.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BiGAnT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:16 pm

KaPluie wrote:
BiGAnT wrote:Thanks KaPluie!! You think sell high on Fuld?? Only reason I ask is because I need SB and he's rackin em up...I know he will not keep the average up but I'm worried about the SB category...how about this: Fuld and Rios for Brett Anderson (or a pitcher along those lines)?? Could I pull something like that off?

How have you been doing offensively so far this season. Is it a head2head league?

12 team mixed league - ROTO, and I'm in 11/12 right now so I'm struggling all over the place:

Categories I'm doing well in: R, W, SV, K
Categories I'm struggling in: HR, RBI, SB, AVG, ERA, WHIP

I just traded for Matt Kemp but gave up Chris Young (ARZ), Hudson and Izturis in the package. BUT I think my offense will come around...Rollins and Vlad/Jones will hopefully start to get me more RBIs and Rios HAS to start to hit a baseball ya kno? haha But again, I'm last in ERA where as I'm somewhere in the middle for the other categories I lack.
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BiGAnT » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:23 pm

woowoo crew wrote:Thanks for your input on mine. Quick question since you are a Phillies fan... would you go for a deal like this: I give Adam Jones and Buchholz for Cole Hamels? I am so scared of Hamels blowing up, and Adam Jones having a big year though. What do you think? Thanks.

Hey, no problem on the help, anytime!!

I'll give you two opinions:

Die-hard Phillies fan says, "I would do this in a heartbeat." HAHA nah but heres what I would say...

As a baseball fan in general I would still do it...reasons are as follows: 1.) I just picked up Jones, he was a FA and so many people are scared of his slow start and I would not worry about him as I just did it because I needed OF help and I am STILL unsure about him (and like KaPluie said he is very streaky). 2.) I along with many people here (and elsewhere) think that Hamels has the potential to be a Cy Young candidate this year...he has what it takes and wit the influence of the guys around him he just has the best situation. He works quickly, gets a ton of Ks and will pick up Ws since he would usually be facing other teams lesser SP seeing that he is our "4". So even if someone is not a die hard Phils fan I sitill believe this a very good deal and I would definitely do it. And again, KaPluie is correct in saying that Hamels >>> Bucholz.
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KaPluie » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:25 pm

If you need help everywhere, its going to be tough. I see Chapman, AJones and Fuld as sell candidates. Put your feelers out and see if anyone has interest in the league. Maybe you can get someone to make you an offer so you don't appear desperate. AJones is streaky, and could be w/w fodder at some point this season, Fuld is playing better than he is, and Chapman is doing well, but could unravel as the year gets longer and he gets tired.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions