What is the Rockies infield situation? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is the Rockies infield situation?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is the Rockies infield situation?

Postby Sticky Spice » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:32 am

I noticed that Jose Lopez is again starting at 3B over Wigginton. I find this strange because Wigginton appears to be getting hot and Lopez is ice cold. Are they hoping Lopez turns it around to increase his trade value?

Is Ian Stewart going to be given the full-time 3B job if he figures things out in AAA?

Is EY Jr not even on the radar right now with the emergence of Jonathan Herrera?

I just have some many Rockies in my various leagues that I'm constantly wondering about these things.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 38)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What is the Rockies infield situation?

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:06 am

what the hell is their plan?

They have Stewart raking right now, EY2 and C. Nelson are both major league ready.

Why in the world did they acquire Lopez. Wouldn't be surprised if they release him soon.

So assuming they eventually call up Stewart to play 3rd regularly, with Wiggington going to super utility role. What do they do with the other 2. Trade bait?
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby neoforce » Mon May 02, 2011 4:54 pm

Don't forget they picked up Brad Emaus as well.

I have no clue what to think in general, but i know I've soured on Ian Stewart. Seems like another classic quad-A guy.
There are a few things with the New York Yankees that never change. That's pride, tradition, and most of all, we have the greatest fans in the world. -Derek Jeter, 9/21/08 -- last words from old Yankee Stadium
neoforce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Lopez has only been starting lately because Wigginton tweaked his hamstring last week. It looks like he should be back tomorrow, and I presume he'll get the majority of starts at 3B.

I'm not sure what the plan is with Stewart, honestly. I assume he'll get a call up sometime this month if he keeps hitting, and presumably he'll then be given a chance to start everyday.

I don't see a guy like EY Jr. or Nelson getting a call up unless there's an injury. It's too bad, as I think both would be more productive then Herrera in the long run, but Jim Tracy loves Herrera and will continue to use him on a daily basis at 2B.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cs3 » Mon May 02, 2011 7:59 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:I don't see a guy like EY Jr. or Nelson getting a call up unless there's an injury. It's too bad, as I think both would be more productive then Herrera in the long run, but Jim Tracy loves Herrera and will continue to use him on a daily basis at 2B.

so do you think Herrera has the job all season, and is locked in the no.2 slot?
what kind of avg and how many sb's do you expect from him if given full time AB's?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm

cs3 wrote:
avsfan4ever33 wrote:I don't see a guy like EY Jr. or Nelson getting a call up unless there's an injury. It's too bad, as I think both would be more productive then Herrera in the long run, but Jim Tracy loves Herrera and will continue to use him on a daily basis at 2B.

so do you think Herrera has the job all season, and is locked in the no.2 slot?
what kind of avg and how many sb's do you expect from him if given full time AB's?

That seems likely at this point - Tracy loves his defense, ability to get on base, and scrappiness. I think an average around the .270-.280 mark seems likely; he started off really hot, obviously, but look at how far his average has come down since then. As for SBs, he doesn't really have that speed or awareness to get a lot of them, so 12-15 seems like the high end to me.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:23 pm

What do you think they do will Nelson? He obviously doesn't have a future with them, and he can be better than alot teams starting SS. Trade for relief pitchers?
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:52 am

Well go figure - Stewart just got the call to the majors. Looks like Wiggy will go on the DL then.

Considering how poorly Lopez is hitting right now, I expect Stewart to get a lot of AB's. His main competition would have been Wigginton, but looks like that won't be an issue for a few weeks at least.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cs3 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:22 pm

avsfan4ever33 wrote:[quote="cs3" As for SBs, he doesn't really have that speed or awareness to get a lot of them, so 12-15 seems like the high end to me.

oh man thats not what i was hoping for... the way ive heard other people talk about him (guys who probably havent really watched a lot of Rockies games) i was under the impression that he was a legit speedster whod steal at least 30 bases in his sleep given regular AB's.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers