What OF should I pick up?? Help rank em..WHIR, promise! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What OF should I pick up?? Help rank em..WHIR, promise!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What OF should I pick up?? Help rank em..WHIR, promise!

Postby BiGAnT » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:38 pm

Need an extra OF with Rios's month-long slump going on...any suggestions/opinions on who to go with?? Drop your link and I'll be more than glad to help anyone out!! Thanks guys! :-)

Here's the available names: Adam Jones (leaning towards him but I have Vlad - don't need two slumping Orioles), Brennan Boesch, Travis Snider, Chris Coghlan, Ryan Raburn, Seth Smith.

I have a free roster spot open because of a recent trade, anyone who I should scoop up NOW??

C Geovany Soto
1B Ryan howard
2B Brandon Phillips
3B Casey McGehee
SS Jimmy Rollins
OF Matt Kemp
OF Alex Rios
OF Vladimir Guererro
Util Jed Lowrie
BN Sam Fuld
BN EMPTY

SP Roy Halladay
SP Chris Carpenter
SP Ryan Dempster
RP Jordan Walden
RP Mitchell Boggs
P Brandon McCarthy
P Jair Jurrjens
P Sergio Santos
P Carlos Zambrano
P Aroldis Chapman
P Brandon League
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What OF should I pick up?? Help rank em..WHIR, promise

Postby KaPluie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:41 pm

Easily Adam Jones. People are scared off by his start and the team he plays on, but he'll finish the year as a top-30 OF.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BlueJaysFan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:51 pm

I would go with Jones too, the only other option is Boesch. I'm very high on him, I'm just not sure this is the year he breaks out. If you want a reliable OF, go with Jones, but if you want to take a gamble go with Boesch. I'm currently debating whether to drop Boesch, but I dont want to let go of his potential.

help:

viewtopic.php?t=428686
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby llj66 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:54 pm

I will disagree with the other two.
I would go Smith, Coghlan, Jones.
Smith plays on a decent team, has power, good avg.........I own him and am happy.
llj66
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby KaPluie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Boesch is going to be a 2/3 time player this year with little opening in the Detroit lineup. He is a good guy to have on the bench, to insert him when he's playing, however he has limited value as a 3rd OF. Look for a breakout in 2012.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BiGAnT » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 pm

My original thoughts were Boesch (because of AVG), Jones, Smith and then Coghlan...but KaPluie, you're sayin he's only gonna be playing 2/3 of the time?? Really? He didn't break the everyday lineup yet? Most people seem to be leaning towards Jones and I still am too, but again I'm just worried between him and Vlad if they continue these slumps. And llj66, with Smith I like the potential (and AVG) but some people are saying his power may not be legitimate as he gets everyday playing time now...? Thoughts on these thoughts? haha Thanks again guys and don't forget to post your links if you currently have a question! ;-D
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jweb2244 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:29 pm

Definitely Adam Jones, not only because I do like him, but also because none of the others excite me.

Also, thanks for help on mine. Great analysis.
jweb2244
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 21)

Postby KaPluie » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:48 pm

BiGAnT wrote:My original thoughts were Boesch (because of AVG), Jones, Smith and then Coghlan...but KaPluie, you're sayin he's only gonna be playing 2/3 of the time?? Really? He didn't break the everyday lineup yet? Most people seem to be leaning towards Jones and I still am too, but again I'm just worried between him and Vlad if they continue these slumps. And llj66, with Smith I like the potential (and AVG) but some people are saying his power may not be legitimate as he gets everyday playing time now...? Thoughts on these thoughts? haha Thanks again guys and don't forget to post your links if you currently have a question! ;-D

He's playing every day right now because V-mart is out. When he is in, V-mart's the everyday DH. Then there is Magglio. Magglio has a slow start, and has been getting some rest due to the cold and his hurt ankle, but he is starting to become an every day player. Right now, Magglio, Boesch and Rayburn are sharing DH, LF and RF. When Vmart comes back, one of Magglio, Boesch and Rayburn will sit every day. Sometimes they sit Avila against lefties, giving V-mart a start behind the plate. That gives all three a chance to get in. But in any case, the Tigers aren't going to be able to fit Boesch in much more than 2/3 of the time unless they decide to site Avila Rayburn or Magglio for extended periods.
KaPluie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BlueJaysFan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Thanks for the help on mine. Since I'm still not sure what to do for mine, I'll try to help solve yours. 1st, Boesch is so far the everyday player and it doesn’t seem like he will lose his job anytime soon. 2nd, Jones is the most proven player but so far he isn't playing well and you don't want another Rios on your team. lol. 3rd, is Jonny Gomes by any chance available? I would take him over all of these in a heartbeat, yet he is a free agent it a lot of leagues. 4th, the only other option you mentioned that is worth considering is, Smith, but I would rather have Jones and Boesch, so I don't think he is a legit option right now. I would personally take a chance with Boesch and rid his streak, if he slumps, I'm sure you can get Smith or Jones. Like I said though, if Gomes is available take him and run. I hope this helped a little more. :-D
BlueJaysFan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hes So Taguchi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:04 pm

I'd roll with Jones. He's rocking a .226 BABIP at the moment. No reason to think that he will be slumping this hard for the entire season.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=428696
Hes So Taguchi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions