Dynasty League: Stephen Drew for Matt Cain (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Dynasty League: Stephen Drew for Matt Cain (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Dynasty League: Stephen Drew for Matt Cain (WHIR)

Postby mhuhn23 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:10 am

I think your staff looks phenomenal. Cain would make it better there is no denying that, but whether you actually need it or not is the question. As another poster said, in a dynasty league Drew's value should be a little more than your standard league. With Castro I say get rid of him for sure, but I'd focus your attention on the C, or 3B. Maybe Carlos Santana would be a good buy-low option?
mhuhn23
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KanyeBest » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:56 pm

Did you not see Joe Mauer there on the DL?

As far as 3B upgrades go, what would you guys think about either Pablo Sandoval or Pedro Alvarez for Drew, straight up?
KanyeBest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Hes So Taguchi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 pm

I like Drew for Pablo, especially since you have Castro.
Hes So Taguchi
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BiGAnT » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:22 pm

When I originally saw this, I thought do it, because you can sell high on Drew and get a very solid pitcher but the more I think about the more valuable Drew can be, and I don't know if it would be selling high considering he seems to be able to produce consistently...but then I thought some more and I think I would do it. YOu said Drew is only a fill in until Logan and Delmon are back right?? So grab a SP for him while you can ya kno? I would agree that you should shop around a little bit more and see the MAX return you can get on this but I think overall you would be fine if you made the deal. Hope this helps and isn;t too back-and-forth :-D

Good Luck and thanks for helpin me on mine earlier! ;-D
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigBlueBomber » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:25 pm

In a dynasty league finding a good young shortstop is hard to come by let alone two. I'd hold onto Drew as his value brings more to your current roster than Cain would in that trade. I don't think there's a wrong choice in this situation but Drew has more value in this format.
BigBlueBomber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Conrax » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:37 pm

Because this is a dynasty league you can get more for Drew particularly since really good SS are hard to come by this year. I will also agree that you don't really need SP help because you have a pretty good staff already. I can see you moving Drew for Pablo to strength your roster at 3B.
Conrax
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BiGAnT » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Drew for Pablo would actually be a solid move, however I'm still not completely against the Drew for Cain trade. But given the arguments I am seeing being that this is Dynasty league (which I have never done), I would tend to agree that holding onto a young, solid SS is more valuable than Cain to help an already solid staff...but again I wouldn't be completely against it.
Philippians 4:13
BiGAnT
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tarheel15 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:46 pm

Based on your league set up I would think a decent SS is tougher to come by than a pitcher. Keep the offensive upside, arms can always be found.
tarheel15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bareass » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:06 pm

When comparing the two players, i have them ranked pretty similarly, but when it comes to deep leagues, position players get the higher value over pitchers, especially at such a scarce position like SS. I wouldn't take the Cain for Drew trade in that regard.

However, another pretty scarce position (not as much as SS though) would be 3B, and I could make a case for trading Drew for either Sandoval or Alvarez. I personally like Alvarez, i think he's too talented to continue on this slump and is primed for a turnaround. He has lots of upside, and with a young castro at SS as well, you could perhaps afford the immediate, although slight, dropoff at SS.
bareass
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jasonpm311 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:55 pm

Great deal for you. Matt Cain's a horse, and has solid numbers. I'd go for it. Thanks for the help on mine!
jasonpm311
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions