4/25 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/25 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs,

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Worst Team in Baseball?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:47 am

New York Mets.
88%
Chicago White Sox
12%

Total votes : 25

4/25 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs,

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:47 am

Sorry. Padres got swept in a 4 game home series. they scored a total of three runs in the series. The lakers lost a game they shouldn't have, and kobe left the building on crutches. dont much feel like talking ... :,-(
Hardball Times
Today's anniversaries
1997: Ken Griffey, Jr. hits three homers in a game for the second time.
1997: Matt Williams hits three homers in a game.
2001: Rickey Henderson draws his 2,063rd career walk, passing Babe Ruth for most ever.
2003: Richie Sexson bangs out three homers in a game for the second time.
2007; Jake Peavy fans 16 D-backs, including nine in a row at one point, but San Diego loses 3-2.

Today's day-versaries
1,000 days since the Braves trade Mark Teixeira to the Angels Casey Kotchman and a minor leaguer.
3,000 days since the Yankees signed Cuban defector Jose Contreras to a MLB contract.
4,000 days since Pedro Martinez tied his career high Game Score of 98. His line: 9 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 15 Ks as he destroys the Orioles.
9,000 days since Greg Maddux made his major league debut. Fun fact: He didn't pitch. Nope, he appeared as a pinch runner. More
fake teams: I think sometimes as fantasy players, we think of these guys as names instead of people. Sometimes I'll turn on a game and see a player who has been on my team all year and say to myself "Oh, that's what he looks like?" Indeed these names are real people and the best of the best aren't exactly spread out in the real world. There are 69 hitters who are >90 percent owned in Yahoo leagues. These are the star hitters of fantasy. The ones who are nearly must own in every format. The Pujols's, the Tulo's, the Ichiro's. (Make that the Ichiro, as there can only be one). I look at these 69 names and counted on which team they resided to see who had the most and who had the least. The results were interesting, but not surprising.
Tim Brown: The Red Sox’ $142 million outfielder Carl Crawford cares too much for his troubles at the plate to continue.
Chart describing how batters fare in every count
Alex Brown.: Almost one month has gone by since opening day 2011, and we’re starting to get an idea of how things might shape up over the course of the season. After 20 games, two teams share the best record in baseball at 14-6. One of these teams is the Philadelphia Phillies, which I would think comes as no surprise to anyone. The Chase Utley injury may have raised some doubters in Philadelphia, but when you assemble one of the best pitching staffs in MLB history (on paper), winning early and often is to be expected. This brings me to the other 14-6 team, the Colorado Rockies. I predicted this team to win the NL West, but never did I think that they would look so dominant at such an early point in the year. With a four game lead over the second place Dodgers, Colorado has the largest cushion of any division leader in baseball. They are virtually running away with things, and you have to wonder if this trend will continue moving forward.
André Walker: Francisco Liriano: Ouch. Ouch, ouch, ouch. After what looked like a return to his former glory in 2010, he’s plummeted back to his ’09 self in the early going. And absolutely nothing is working for him. His fastball and slider are getting destroyed (-4.8 runs combined so far), he’s not fooling hitters with pitches outside the zone (9% drop in O-Swing), and his fastball velocity is down (93.7 mph to 92.1). That fastball velocity drop may not seem that significant, but there appears to be a strong correlation between Liriano’s velocity and success. That brutal slider, his one saving grace every year (note the consistent 1.00+ runs per 100 pitches every season), has lost its bark and its bite. There’s not much to say here except that if you’re going to try and buy low, buyer beware.
Some player news.
Roy Halladay allowed one run, five hits and a walk over 8 2/3 innings Sunday against the San Diego Padres. Halladay also tied a career high with 14 strikeouts in the 130-pitch performance.
Michael Young went 1-for-5 with a run scored and RBI Sunday, against the Kansas City Royals, extending his hit streak to 14 games. Young is 24-for-58 (.414) during his run. He has also played in all 21 games this season.
Jeff Francoeur went 1-for-3 with a solo home run, his fourth of the season, to extend his hitting streak to 14 games Sunday, April 24, against the Texas Rangers. Francoeur is batting .365 (19-for-52) during the outstanding stretch.
Alex Gordon went 1-for-4 Sunday, April 24, to extend the American League's longest active hit streak to 18 games. Gordon is 30-for-77 (.390) during the impressive run
Mariners Carl Willis said the team will be decide how many innings SP Michael Pineda will pitch this season in around another month, reports Doug Miller, of MLB.com. Willis said Pineda will be limited to around 105 pitches per outing. The Mariners could do something similar to what they did with SP Felix Hernandez when he was a rookie, which was limit him to 200 innings and count spring training outings along with regular season outings.
Franklin Gutierrez (stomach) has been diagnosed with a case of irritable bowel syndrome by the doctors at the Mayo Clinic, according to Shannon Drayer of MyNorthwest.com. He was given medication but it will take one to two weeks to determine if it will work. Gutierrez is traveling with the team but there is no timetable for his return
Ron Gardenhire said Sunday, April 24, that OF Michael Cuddyer might play second base regularly until 2B Tsuyoshi Nishioka (leg) is healthy enough to return, reports Jim Souhan, of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. Cuddyer has now made six starts at 2B after Sunday's game
Jered Weaver is scheduled to start Monday, April 25, against the Oakland Athletics, reports Mark Saxon, of ESPNLosAngeles.com. If Weaver is successful to run his record to 6-0, he would be the first pitcher in club history to do so in the team's first 23 games. Weaver would also be the first to do it in MLB since SP Randy Johnson accomplished the feat for the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2002.

Brad Hawpe sucks.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Todays Games

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:49 am

todays games - todays weather - bullpen report

WhiteSox (8-14) @ Yankees (11-6), 7:05pm
CHW: Philip Humber (28, RHP, 1-2, 4.42)
NYY: A.J. Burnett (34, RHP, 3-0, 4.37)

Blue Jays (9-12) @ Rangers (14-7), 8:05pm
TOR: Kyle Drabek (23, RHP, 1-0, 3.00)
TEX: Colby Lewis (31, RHP, 1-2, 5.82)

Could be a great bedtime story developing right here. ;-D
Athletics (11-11) @ Angels (12-10), 10:05pm
OAK: Gio Gonzalez (25, LHP, 2-1, 1.80)
LAA: Jered Weaver (28, RHP, 5-0, 1.23)

Nationals (10-10) @ Pirates (9-12), 7:05pm
WSN: John Lannan (26, LHP, 2-1, 3.43)
PIT: Paul Maholm (29, LHP, 0-3, 4.30)

Dodgers (12-11) @ Marlins (13-7), 7:10pm
LAD: Jon Garland (31, RHP, 1-1, 4.15)
FLA: Ricky Nolasco (28, RHP, 2-0, 3.00)

Rockies (14-7) @ Cubs (10-11), 8:05pm
COL: Esmil Rogers (25, RHP, 2-1, 6.75)
CHC: Matt Garza (27, RHP, 0-2, 4.74)

Reds (11-11) @ Brewers (11-10), 8:10pm
CIN: Bronson Arroyo (34, RHP, 2-2, 4.24)
MIL: Chris Narveson (29, LHP, 1-0, 2.19)

Phillies (15-6) @ D'backs (8-12), 9:40pm
PHI: Cliff Lee (32, LHP, 2-1, 3.91)
ARI: Ian Kennedy (26, RHP, 2-1, 5.64)

Braves (11-12) @ Padres (8-14), 10:05pm
ATL: Derek Lowe (38, RHP, 2-3, 3.25)
SDP: Dustin Moseley (29, RHP, 0-3, 1.40)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 4/25 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs,

Postby CharlatanSin » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:42 am

1,000 days since the Braves trade Mark Teixeira to the Angels Casey Kotchman and a minor leaguer.

LOL WUT

I forgot about that trade. I mainly remember the other Tex trade, where Texas actually got a decent return from Atlanta. Saltalamachia was the centerpiece ( :-o ), but they also got Neftali and Andrus.
She said always remember never to trust me
She said that the first night that she met me
She said "there's gonna be a time when I'm gonna have to go with whoever's gonna get me the highest."
CharlatanSin
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby boredguy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 am

fake teams: I think sometimes as fantasy players, we think of these guys as names instead of people. Sometimes I'll turn on a game and see a player who has been on my team all year and say to myself "Oh, that's what he looks like?"

Haha, i've certainly done this before.
boredguy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:54 am

Throwing Colby Lewis (-155 vs TOR) and picked up Dustin Mosely (+110 vs ATL) as a new week begins. Hopefully Derek Lowe remembers that he's Derek Lowe like he did last time out and the Padres can actually win a game (it's disgusting what fantasy makes me wish for, bleh). It would also be nice to see Colby Lewis pull his head out of his rear end and start pitching like when he was mowing down Yankees with reckless abandon in the Fall.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 833)

Postby bigken117 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:00 am

sitting Drabek @ Texas

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 255)

Postby Ender » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:05 am

Poll needs more options but I went with the Mets given the choices. White Sox aren't a bad team and still will likely win the AL Central since it is so weak this year.

For some reason I have a feeling Nolasco has one of his bad starts today, I started him so hopefully he proves me wrong!
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby ensanimal » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:12 am

bigken117 wrote:sitting Drabek @ Texas

Same. Probably sitting Kennedy vs Phi as well.
ensanimal

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 120)

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:15 am

ensanimal wrote:sitting Kennedy vs Phi as well.
same
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:17 am

Ender wrote:Poll needs more options but I went with the Mets given the choices. White Sox aren't a bad team and still will likely win the AL Central since it is so weak this year.

For some reason I have a feeling Nolasco has one of his bad starts today, I started him so hopefully he proves me wrong!
it'll change every monday. the mets won in a landslide last week, so they are the king of the hill at the moment.
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers