Alcides Escobar Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alcides Escobar Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alcides Escobar Thread

Postby OldEnglishZ » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Where do you guys stand on Escobar right now? I am thinking about buying low on him... are you staying away?

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Alcides Escobar Thread

Postby Tavish » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:46 pm

Unless your league counts Web Gems on defense, I would probably stay away for the time being. He is having a real tough time getting comfortable at the plate right now and until that changes he only value is a few steals he will gather for very deep leagues.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:32 pm

He's a really bad hitter, and I don't see any reason for that to change. He should help a bit in steals now that he doesn't have the pitcher batting behind him but that's about all you can count on, and steals are a function of being able to get on base so.... you've been warned.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 526)

Postby Tavish » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:42 pm

Skin Blues wrote:He's a really bad hitter, and I don't see any reason for that to change. He should help a bit in steals now that he doesn't have the pitcher batting behind him but that's about all you can count on, and steals are a function of being able to get on base so.... you've been warned.

Well the good news is that there is no way he is a .230s OBP guy so he should get on base more often as the season progresses. Plus the Royals have shown themselves to be very aggressive so far this season in attempts to overcome their slugging deficiency. 5 SB so far for Escobar bodes well for him to be able to likely get near 30 for the season when the OBP nears .300.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter

Postby MasterX1918 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:14 pm

I have him as my starter in one league, and while the BA is terrible the 5 SBs is nice so he's not a completely vapid.
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby J35J » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:38 am

He is a poor hitter but as Tavish said the Royals will continue to run at a high clip and those steals should approach 30 for him. Other than that he pretty much stinks offensively.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 620)

Postby dmattingly23 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:19 am

Well the good is he doesn't strike out much. He has a ridiculously low BABIP. Escpecially for a guy with his speed. Even though he's hitting .220 he has 5 sbs and 12/7 runs/rbi. The lineup seems improved around him. So if he could even get his avg. up to .250 he might have a 70/50/30 year. Which is good enough for me.

The bad, I have yet to see him hit the ball anywhere with authority. Even his hits are bloopers or just squeeze through the infield. So I don't really expect his BABIP to get that much better.
dmattingly23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RyeWhiskey » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Unless your SS pool is deadly thin, I'd rather have Chris Getz on my squad. He'll hit for higher average and toss in ~30 SBs at 2B. He's also on the wire in almost every league right now and has absolutely no name-hype.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Tavish » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:23 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Unless your SS pool is deadly thin, I'd rather have Chris Getz on my squad. He'll hit for higher average and toss in ~30 SBs at 2B. He's also on the wire in almost every league right now and has absolutely no name-hype.

I'm willing to bet Escobar ends up with a higher BA and more steals by the end of the season. He had a nice hot streak for the first couple of weeks but the last few weeks is much more indicative of the type of player he is.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby OldEnglishZ » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:40 pm

AngryMonkey wrote:Unless your SS pool is deadly thin, I'd rather have Chris Getz on my squad. He'll hit for higher average and toss in ~30 SBs at 2B. He's also on the wire in almost every league right now and has absolutely no name-hype.

I'm in an AL only dynasty so everyone is rostered.. I think Getz is a cheap option, but he went to my rival high school so I've been bread to hate him. He could very well put same numbers up.

I traded away Scutaro and Francis for Chatwood and Escobar ... Probably didn't get good value but I needed SBs badly and I have Lowrie at $1 at my MI.

Only play deep AL-only formats.
OldEnglishZ
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Baseball Leftovers