Deep League: Panic or too many early injuries (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Deep League: Panic or too many early injuries (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Deep League: Panic or too many early injuries (WHIR)

Postby Airzoom32 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:53 am

My team is dead last in just about every offensive category except for runs, stolen bases and strike outs. Pitching Staff has been amazing so far and have no problem moving some of them to build a better offense. But getting back Longoria and Morales, plus picked up Andrus after he was dropped early on just as a FA not even off waivers.

So the question is, will a team with Longoria and Morales back in the lineup (moving Berkman to the OF and he stays hot for say a 85/27/85 .300 season) is that offense going to be good enough to win 4-5 out of 7 points each week? Cause right now my pitching staff I feel can win 5-6 points each week if I keep it were it is and don't trade anyone....but i have some excess strength there to trade if I need to upgrade my offense if the board doesn't feel just adding Longoria/Morales the rest of the way will be enough.

Thanks in advance....I am never one that wants to blame injury or luck, but I want to decide if I should start looking to make a move or wait a couple more weeks and see how the lineup looks with them in it.

18-Team H2H 7X7 (R,HR,RBI,SB,K,AVG,OPS / W,L,K,SV,HLD,ERA,WHIP)

C (1) - M. Wieters
1B (1) - L. Berkman
2B (1) - M. Prado
3B (1) - J. Herrera
SS (1) - I. Desmond
OF (3) - A. Rios, J. Werth, A. McCutchen
UTL(1) - E. Andrus
Bench - E. Longoria
DL - R. Davis, K. Morales

SP (2) - T. Lincecum, S. Marcum
RP (2) - C. Perez, K. Farnsworth
P (2) - S. Marshall (Holds), J. Contreras
Bench - J. Weaver, J. Zimmerman, J. Sanchez, S. Romo (Holds)
Airzoom32
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Deep League: Panic or too many early injuries (WHIR)

Postby zacev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:30 am

A problem I see right from the start is the Utility position. Not a good place to use a guy like Andrus and I'm definitely starting Andrus at SS over Desmond. Nice pick-up. I wouldn't panic just yet, Longoria will be back after-all and whatever it is you're currently doing at 3B will go away. You can absolutely cut Herrera when Longoria is off the DL, which is like tomorrow. To be honest, I'm not a big believer in Longoria, because at draft time I think there's other options out there at 3B that you don't have to use a fourth pick overall, but I wouldn't complain if he was on my roster either. Immediately you need to find a better option at Utility. Rios has obviously been garbage so far this season and is a huge reason as to why you're not winning games, but you can't cut him loose. This guy will have a good season. He just needs to get it together and get past his toe injury. It would be nice if you had a bench player or two that you could move around when you have a guy struggling. Werth and McCutchen are both great fantasy options to have in your OF. Cutch will steal lots of bases, hit for avg and even a little power, but he has struggled a little early on with his BA. Werth does it all too and so will Rios when he gets it together. Nice outfield indeed. It would be nice to have a better option at 1B though. I know Berkman has been great to this point and he may even keep it up (sad I cut him earlier this season), but you could try to upgrade at 1B and move Berkman to the Utility spot. It doesn't look like your roster allows anymore room, so I think it'd pay off to have a guy like Berkman (whom is multi-positional), which would be a benefit to your lineup. Lets hope he keeps it up. I'm not sure how you could ever part with Weaver or Lincecum, so making any deals to greatly improve your offense would come at a large cost. How important are the set-up guys you hang on to? I realize your league does holds, I'm not familiar to playing that way, but obviously the names I see there would make me want to cut for an additional bench player. Again, I wouldn't panic, just upgrade the Utility spot and maybe find a replacement for Rios for just a short while longer.
zacev
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Airzoom32 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:50 am

Thanks for the response. I don't know if you saw but I also am getting Kendrys Morales back who will take over at 1B for me when he comes back early to mid-May. When that happens I can move Berkman to the OF or Utility....if he keeps it up. And hitting in, around, near, or anything close to Pujols and Holliday can't hurt a hitter like Berkman at all, even if he and his bat are getting a bit slower.

I usually have my utility be the opposite of my team, if I have a power oriented starting lineup then I usually carry a high run/SB/avg guy at UT...if I have a lineup that hits for average and steals a lot of bases, then I try to just throw in a power guy regardless of other numbers (Reynolds/Dunn/Pena type players). But right now my team doesn't have any identity and I am just trying to get the 10 best bats out there, so that leads to Andrus and Desmond both playing in the top 10.

One trade that I have offered to me on the table that I cant figure out are Berkman/Andrus/Sanchez for Crawford/Bailey OR Berkman/Andrus/Wieters/Marcum for Posey/Crawford/Bailey. Love the upside of Crawford vs Berkman right now, but losing Andrus too hurts and I think Marcum will have a better year in the NL than Bailey in the AL, and Posey over Wieters is really nice...but Wieters upside make me feel like its not really necessary jump (I mean this guy was all we could talk about at C last year before it started)
Airzoom32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby zacev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:59 am

I would take that second deal in a heartbeat (or maybe even the first one, depending on which Sanchez you're talking about). Crawford will warm up, I don't think he's worth the recognition he got before the season as being a first rounder, but I do feel he's got 3rd round value at least. As the weather warms up, so will he. He did come out of Tampa Bay after-all. Getting Posey for Wieters I think is what really puts the cherry on top in this deal. It doesn't get any better than that. I'm not even thinking about losing Berkman or Andrus or Marcum in this deal. Andrus is worth a roster spot, but he's not worth holding onto when we're talking about Crawford and Posey. I'd take that before Crawford starts hitting and the offer is off the table. I ridiculed others for taking Crawford in the 1st round, let alone a top overall pick, but there is no way I could have passed up this deal...
zacev
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Airzoom32 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:07 am

Ya with this league being so deep, Andrus' numbers the past couple years have been helpful for the overall squad. But I agree with you in that he would be a player I wouldn't mind dropping if something better became free. I am really leaning towards the deal to get Posey, I just hate making big moves like this before May even hits.

Anyone else have an opinion? I agree with the other poster and am pretty sure I would take this trade in a heartbeat, I just like to see my team develop then go from mid-May forward making moves.
Airzoom32
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions