Trade Help WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trade Help WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trade Help WHIR

Postby bois13 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:58 am

Got offered this trade and not sure what to do with it yet.

I Get: SP Josh Johnson, OF Mike Stanton, SP Brandon Morrow
I Give: 1B Mark Teixeira, OF Hunter Pence, SP Jhoulys Chacin

Team is currently in 3rd place a game out of first and i feel i have plenty of batting but could use an improvement in pitching

My Team (standard 5x5 14 team league)
C-Matt Wieters
1B-Teixeira, Ike Davis
2B-Kelly Johnson, Jed Lowrie
3B-Pedro Alvarez
SS-Yunel Escobar
OF-Pence, Sizemore, Bourne, Berkman, Hamilton (DL)

SP-Kershaw, Latos, Daniel Hudson, Matsuzaka, Chacin, McClellan, Peavy (DL)
RP-Marmol, Contreras, Motte, Thornton

help me out if you can and leave a link so i can help you
bois13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Trade Help WHIR

Postby zacev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:10 am

Well, Morrow and Chacin I think are actually quite even. I really like both of these guys, but I think the edge goes to Morrow. I feel he has a break-out year this year. Again, Pence and Stanton are sort of close, but again I'd rather have Pence - 280 ba, 25 hr's, maybe even 100 rbi's, and 20 sb's. Most likely Stanton doesn't even come close to this, especially with his average and sb's. Then obviously looking at Tex vs Johnson and this isn't even close. Tex is an early 2nd rounder come draft time vs Josh Johnson... who is this guy kidding. This deal is heavily favored towards the owner trying to deal with you. Do not make this deal, under any circumstances, you'll certainly jeopardize you're 3rd place record. Good luck!
zacev
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bois13 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:14 am

Thanks a lot for the reply. If i dont accept what would you reccommend i counter with? He's looking for some batting and I'm in need of a starter

His team...
C-Soto
1B-Cuddyer
2B-Phillips, Figgins
3B-Wright
SS-Drew
OF-Holliday, Stanton, Ben Francisco, Pierre
UTIL-Hafner

SP-Johnson, Weaver, Baker, Lohse, Morrow, Zimmerman, Braden (DL)
RP-Kimbrel, Chapman, Perez, Franklin

if you can come up with something i could offer back that would be greatly appreciated
14 team, 10 cat standard 5x5 H2H
C-Wieters
1B-Fielder, I Davis
2B-Cano
3B-Reynolds
SS-Lowrie
OF-Bourne, Berkman, Rios, Torres, Wells (DL)
SP-Kershaw, C Lee, Marcum, Chacin, Peavy
SP-McClellan, Hudson, Collmenter
RP-Sanchez, Crow, Bard
bois13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zacev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:52 am

Holliday rather than Stanton to start... honestly, I'm not even going near Stanton at that price, I actually prefer his teammate LoMo (even if he's on the dl for a couple of weeks). I would put up more of a fight for Weaver than Johnson also. I would try hanging onto Chacin, but if that's a deal-breaker for him I would understand. Morrow would be a nice addition with good upside to your SP's and possibly drives down your desperation for good starting pitching. I'd give up Pence and Tex for Holliday and Weaver if he'll do it (this deal would not be that ridiculous, by the way). Countering ridiculous offers with high-ball tactics is always a great approach to get the deal to get more even or possibly weigh to your favor. He probably won't take this, but it's a good starting place. You can talk him down from his previous offer after you make an offer like the one I suggested. If you can include Morrow in the deal and not rid of Chacin that would be nice. Chacin is looking good so far and had some good hype coming into the season. I like him. He probably won't let you go near Weaver, as he's on fire right now, maybe swapping out Weaver for Johnson and Morrow would work. I am a little concerned about what you have at 1B with losing Tex. Ike Davis has tons of upside, but hard to tell if he's the real deal at this point. You could also look at swapping SS's as part of a deal. I'm really liking the possibilities of what Stephen Drew could do this year and that would be a nice upgrade for you. Of course there's plenty of options of what you can do. Really all about what you feel comfortable with. If I'm you, I'm targeting Stephen Drew and Jered Weaver AND willing to deal Tex (if that's who he wants). Drew and Weaver together are worth a Tex, so don't overpay for pitching. You're not that desperate, your guys (Latos and Hudson) should rebound - not saying they'll pitch as good as last year, but things will get better. In the meantime, cut Matsuzaka (that guy stinks!).

Honestly, I don't think you'll have much luck with this owner. He looks like the typical "all for me and nothing for you" type of trader. He was looking to get another big name in Tex and only have to give up a Josh Johnson to further solidify his offensive lineup. He was looking for a robbery and it's good you didn't accept the initial deal. You can try back with him though, there's always the chance he was just looking to get an offer on the table to begin negotiating with you for a player he would like, in this case Tex. Remember, big name pitchers aren't even close to the same value as Big name offensive players, so don't treat them as though they're the same. You can find serviceable SP's all through the FA... just continue to play the FA. Don't be afraid to take a chance on someone, especially if you've got a guy you can cut, like Matsusuckie.
zacev
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bois13 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:04 pm

What about coming back with something like Holliday, Johnson or Weaver, and Morrow for Tex, Pence and Chacin? Holliday and Tex are close to a wash..Pence is comparable to Johnson in value and Morrow and Chacin are both young with a ton of potential and i know hes really interested in Chacin so possibly he would do this

what's your take on that?
C-Wieters
1B-Fielder, I Davis
2B-Cano
3B-Reynolds
SS-Lowrie
RP-Sanchez, Crow, Bard
bois13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zacev » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:48 pm

I like this deal much better and it's much more even (and possibly even in your favor). I realize you're trying to gain another ace, but I still have concern about your 1B situation without Tex. You're right, you're not losing much as far as production between Holliday and Tex, but Tex definitely gets the slight edge. Many would like to have Chacin over Morrow and maybe they're right, but I do love the number of K's Morrow can put up in a game... it's really some freakish stuff. Obviously, Weaver/Johnson between Pence is what is drawing you to make this deal. If I'm getting Weaver in this deal, I'm probably hitting the accept button and forgetting about my 1B situation, but with Johnson it's not quite as easy. I still like the deal even with Johnson when we're talking fairness, but like I mentioned before, you might have the pitching you need to begin with. I sort of ate my words with Matsusaka too, he's had a nice two games in a row. You're pitching might be better than you think it is. You may just be panicking a little too early. You don't have to make this deal, in my opinion, but if you feel you have to obtain another ace SP, then go ahead. Again, losing Tex at 1B is my biggest concern, but gaining a guy like Weaver or Johnson in return for Pence is really what you might be doing with this deal, which of course is in your favor. If a guy like Big Ike is able to put up quality numbers at 1B, then I really like what this does for your team. In my own league, I'm in a position where I have CC, Oswalt, Price, Hanson, and Morrow as my top 5 SP's, which allows me feel fairly confident in wins, era, whip, and k's stats. It's really a big advantage on a week-to-week basis, I'm pretty much getting at least a 5-5 tie each week, but that doesn't even happen because I lucked out and got Cabrera and Braun in the 1st two rounds, which is unheard of in a 12 team league. You're pitching would be stacked and you would be losing Pence like numbers, but remember you do have Hamilton coming back, which leaves your OF very stacked as well and if Berkman keeps it up, obviously he's a good option at 1B as well. In the long-term, this deal could do wonders for your team. I say go for it, but push for Weaver.
zacev
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bois13 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:18 am

okay i offered it with weaver and if not ill change him out and go for Johnson.

I also really appreciate the input you've given. It has been incredibly helpful and much more than I anticipated. I really appreciate it
C-Wieters
1B-Fielder, I Davis
2B-Cano
3B-Reynolds
SS-Lowrie
RP-Sanchez, Crow, Bard
bois13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby zacev » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:39 pm

Hey no problem, I am happy I was able to help (hopefully)
zacev
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions