4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Streaks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Streaks

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Best Team in Baseball?

Poll ended at Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:40 am

Texas Rangers
45%
Philadelphia Phillies
55%

Total votes : 20

Re: 4/23-4/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and Stre

Postby cs3 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:53 pm

Bautista showing absolutely zero signs of slowing down from his torrid HR pace he set over the last year +.
3 hits, including his 5th HR last night, bringing his season slash to:
.339 /.480 /.661 /1.141 ...not to mention 16 runs scored.
oh and he just went Yahtzee in his first AB today!
simply MINDBOTTLING!

edit:
ps - CBM... jinx!
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:57 pm

so if Joe Blanton somehow shuts out the Padres today, they have a very good chance of being the first team since I dont know when to be shut-out in an entire 4 game series. I already know Halladay is going to blank them sunday
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:05 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:An inauspicious first inning so far for Morrow. Damon 2-R HR.

Umpire missed an obvious 3rd strike in the first AB, though. Should have 6 K and wouldn't have been pitching out of the stretch.

Meh, this happens every game. He still served it up. Not saying he stinks as I was high on him in the preseason as well. Besides, Sam Fuld is a god and can't be retired by a mortal man. :-D

Did you see the pitch? Not the one to Damon (missed location with fastball up in the zone), but the one to Fuld. It was such a good breaking ball that it completely fooled the umpire, Fuld himself thought he was K'd, and he should have been.

How about Bautista? I was outspoken in my lukewarm support of him in the offseason, although I was lightly mocked for defending such positions as "He should be drafted inside of the overall top 40." Or: "It is ludicrous to suggest that he isn't a top 40 OF."

I believe you were the highest on him though. Looks like he should have been a second round pick easily and a lot of the haters should already be halfway through a heaping helping of crow.

The guy has 4 XBH in his last 4 ABs and is absolutely raking so far.

He's one of the best hitters in baseball and has been since September 2009. Pitchers can't get him out. I have yet to see any reason to believe that will change.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:07 pm

And there goes another one. He's good.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:09 pm

mweir145 wrote:And there goes another one. He's good.

Lol, 5 ABs, 5 XBHs with 3 HRs. What's the record for consecutive XBHs?
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:13 pm

mweir145 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:
mweir145 wrote:Umpire missed an obvious 3rd strike in the first AB, though. Should have 6 K and wouldn't have been pitching out of the stretch.

Meh, this happens every game. He still served it up. Not saying he stinks as I was high on him in the preseason as well. Besides, Sam Fuld is a god and can't be retired by a mortal man. :-D

Did you see the pitch? Not the one to Damon (missed location with fastball up in the zone), but the one to Fuld. It was such a good breaking ball that it completely fooled the umpire, Fuld himself thought he was K'd, and he should have been.

How about Bautista? I was outspoken in my lukewarm support of him in the offseason, although I was lightly mocked for defending such positions as "He should be drafted inside of the overall top 40." Or: "It is ludicrous to suggest that he isn't a top 40 OF."

I believe you were the highest on him though. Looks like he should have been a second round pick easily and a lot of the haters should already be halfway through a heaping helping of crow.

He's one of the best hitters in baseball and has been since September 2009. Pitchers can't get him out. I have yet to see any reason to believe that will change.

As for the Fuld K, I was intentionally speaking as a biased Fuld owner.

As for Bautista, I was surprised to find myself being one of his biggest supporters in the offseason. The knee jerk public sentiment was that he was to be avoided at all costs even though he was going for .50 on the dollar. I thought that was dead wrong as did you and we are being proved right. Can't even count how many posts I read that said "Don't pay for a career year" (never mind the fact that there was a huge built in discount) or "I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole" or "He was a total fluke."

Just another example of fantasy baseball dogma run amok. Every player is different, every situation is different. There were plenty of reasons to think Bautista was an exception to some of the traditional rules, but a lot of people couldn't think outside the box.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:24 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:

As for the Fuld K, I was intentionally speaking as a biased Fuld owner.

As for Bautista, I was surprised to find myself being one of his biggest supporters in the offseason. The knee jerk public sentiment was that he was to be avoided at all costs even though he was going for .50 on the dollar. I thought that was dead wrong as did you and we are being proved right. Can't even count how many posts I read that said "Don't pay for a career year" (never mind the fact that there was a huge built in discount) or "I wouldn't touch him with a ten foot pole" or "He was a total fluke."

Just another example of fantasy baseball dogma run amok. Every player is different, every situation is different. There were plenty of reasons to think Bautista was an exception to some of the traditional rules, but a lot of people couldn't think outside the box.

Yeah, well I'm right so often that I don't really give it much further thought. :-D

Heck, there was a time a few years ago that people didn't believe that Roy Halladay was the best pitcher in baseball. I told them to wait until he got to the NL, and sure enough, he puts up a season for the ages with a perfect game and playoff no-hitter. ;-)

Back to the game, Morrow is making the Rays look like a bunch of amateurs. 9 Ks now, most of them on terrible swings.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:30 pm

In my keeper league (the only league I currently compete in seriously), I still remember having the opportunity to pick up Bautista in early May last season. I didn't completely buy the power, though, so I held off. My brother got him instead and has had him ever since.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby mweir145 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:33 pm

Sam Fuld is a bit of a pest.

Morrow out of the game with 10 K through 5.1.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Tis » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:43 pm

mweir145 wrote:Sam Fuld is a bit of a pest.

Morrow out of the game with 10 K through 5.1.

As a Morrow and Fuld owner, it hasn't been a bad game.

Until now. Villanueva you useless sack of excrement! %-6

Edit: It somehow seems unfair that Morrow gets the ER for Fuld, when it was clear he was mowing down any other ray he saw, and Villy couldn't strike out a T-baller.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers